Where is the Versys made? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where is the Versys made?

Hello all! New to the forum, looking at the versys and thinking about buying one...

I am really interested in knowing for a fact, where are the Versys made. I know for a fact that the KLR650 is made in Thailand, as well as other Kawis. I am still unsure on the Ninja 250R, which some websites say Thailand, some say Japan.

The only way for me to know for a fact about the Versys is to ask you, the owners. I would really appreciate it if you could look at your bikes, check the VIN number and there it will say Made in Japan or Thailand. The engine doesn't count since usually the engine is Japanese and the other parts could be made somewhere else.

The only reason that I am asking is to be sure, I mean, I don't think it really matters, I am one of those that want to know exactly what they are buying, just a matter of knowing.

Thanks!

Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 PM

I can't take a good picture of it because I have some cables partially blocking, but it says made in Japan (2009 model).
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks zeke!

If you ever get the chance to take a pic that would be awesome!

I need some advice here...

I know this is a very versatile bike, I personally love the way it looks. But here's the deal, believe it or not, I am torn between this bike and the Honda CBR600RR. Totally different bikes, different comfort levels and types of usage. I am leaning towards the Versys since I will use the bike as a commuter, however, I know a lot of people who use sport bikes to commute as well with no problems. Another thing, I know how the CBR performs in terms of speed, etc, but, what about the Versys? Is this a "fast" bike, lets say, will it fulfill my "speed desires" as well to some extent?

Thanks!!

Leo

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My 2007 was also made at Kawasaki's Akashi Works factory near Osaka, Japan.

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/kaw...our-87487.html
"Along the production lines, we saw several bikes being built, including the Z750, Concours-14, Z1000, Versys, Vulcans and KX dirt bikes. We also saw robotic welding of frames and raw ZX-14 and ZX-6R frames prior to the powder-coating process. It takes about 1.5 hours to complete a bike once its engine has been built. A rolling road dyno at the end of the assembly line (including a front-wheel roller so brakes can be checked) makes sure the bikes are ready for public consumption."

The Versys has good usable power at low and mid range, with enough top end to achieve 115-120 mph. Handling is great, as is comfort with a simple seat mod... It doesn't have my previous ZX6's top end rush, but is much more tractable and versatile.

Last edited by invader; 06-02-2009 at 10:45 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader

Okay, so looks like it is indeed manufactured in Japan. How can you tell, is there a specific part of the bike that states where it was manufactured?

Any of you guys are in the USA? I asked on another Kawi forum and they said it was made in Thailand.

Last edited by LEOVAN83; 06-03-2009 at 02:42 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

I'm in the USA. My 2008 Versys was manufactured in September of 2007. The VIN/Manufacturer's sticker located near the steering head says "Made in Japan" (bottom right corner, under the cables clamped to the frame)

The Versys has all the power and handling you would ever need for the street. It scoots and it's fun.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM

I can't find that particular Made in Japan printed on the VIN sticker. Any photo of that would be great. Thanks.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

US & Canadian Versys are made in Japan, but the Euro ones are made in Thailand. There was a discussion on the other forum about their origin.

Machog

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok I thought it was the other way around.

A picture will be great!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM

When "Twist the Throttle" did a profile of Kawasaki, I saw new Versys in the background. They were at the Akshi factory.

To God be the glory.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

It might be a little while before I can get a pick, the sticker isn't exactly in the most convenient place for photography.
The sticker is on the right side frame just aft of the steering head. The "Made in Japan" is printed on the bottom right hand corner of the sticker. As Zeke and I pointed out earlier, this part of the sticker is covered by cables/wires that are clamped to the frame. You can move them a bit with your hand to read the sticker, but getting a camera in there to take a picture will require some doing.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM

Not sure how bad it is to post a pic of my VIN out on the Internet, but I wanted to test my redacting skills in mspaint.

**Edit: This is a US bike as well. I'm located in the Cleveland area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0790.jpg (733.5 KB, 2625 views)
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM

If it is of any help I got my versys last year .My son got a cbr600 now he is looking to trade his in and get a versys. Just so much more you can do on a versys.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zeke! I hope it wasn't too much trouble!

Yeah, so I'm definately getting a Versys now, I'm sold.

Question, my current "first bike" is a 1982 Honda CB650 Night Hawk. It's an inline-four, carburated 650cc bike. How do you think the Versys will compare to this bike?

1) More powerful?
2) Easier to drive?

Thanks!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

82 CB650 Vs Versys... Well lets go to the tape...

HP 49 vs. 63
Torque 31 vs. 45
Brakes Dual disc front/rear drum vs. Dual disc Front/Single disc rear.
Suspension, front: Yes vs. Upside-down fork adjustable for preload and rebound damping.
Suspension, rear: Dual shocks with pre-load adjustment vs. Monoshock preload and rebound damping Gull-type aluminum swingarm
Weight (wet) 485 vs. 454
Cooling Air vs. Water
Carburetor vs. EFI
Front tire 3.50S19-4PR (I don't even remember what the heck that means other than 3.5" x 19") vs. 120/70-17
Rear tire 130/90-16 vs. 160/60-17

So other than more power, lower weight, better suspension, brakes, tires & engine their basically the same, I don't even know why your bothering to get a new bike

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM

one of the letters of the Vin is a code for the manufacturing facility as well as another is for the country of origin..........

digits of vin are:
1-2 WMI country code
2-3 manufacturer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4-8 VDS equipment codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 check digit

10 VIS model year
11 manufacturing plant
12-17 serial number
or
10 VIS model year
11 manufacturing plant
12-14 WMI suffix
15-17 serial number
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Not sure how bad it is to post a pic of my VIN out on the Internet, but I wanted to test my redacting skills in mspaint.

**Edit: This is a US bike as well. I'm located in the Cleveland area.
Thank you very much! I will go check out mine. My V should be of European version bought in Hong Kong.

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOVAN83 View Post
Thanks Zeke! I hope it wasn't too much trouble!
Yeah, so I'm definately getting a Versys now, I'm sold.
Question, my current "first bike" is a 1982 Honda CB650 Night Hawk. It's an inline-four, carburated 650cc bike. How do you think the Versys will compare to this bike?
1) More powerful?
2) Easier to drive?
Thanks!
The Versys is a much better bike in just about every category, but I really liked those old nighthawks. I'd give the edge to the nighthawk in MPG, seat comfort, and seat height for those not possessed with a giant sized inseam. It's also nice to be able to bump start the carburated engine if the battery goes down.
I'd say keep and enjoy them both.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a couple of new questions now...

1) So, basically, every Versys that has a VIN code starting with the letter "J" will be Japanese, correct?

2) I know the Versys has a digital speedometer and odometer, is it possible to program these either in KMH or in MPH ? I mean, since it's digital ?
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Believe J is for Japanese.

Page 34 of your owners manual will tell you how to change from MPH to KPH and back.

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode