Some thoughts on the Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Some thoughts on the Versys 1000

I don't figure it will be available any time soon here in the states, but that 1043 cc motor has me mighty curious. I didn't want to hijack the thread talking about coming back to the 650 V, from the V1K, so I started my own.

I've found more and more things that I like about my Versys 650, particularly the engine. With it's uneven firing order, it's parallel twin makes a downright sexy sound when it gets up around 7 thousand rpm, or so. It's got a healthy lope at idle too I've never really found it lacking in power, but I don't have any other history with any other bike than a KLR, so my take on power may be skewed in that respect. But I have to wonder about that inline 4 that Kawasaki borrowed from the Z1000 (heavily considered buying that) and tweaked a bit to put on a slightly beefed up Versys frame. All that being said, I'm not one to put form over function and if the only thing I'm going to be missing from the 650 is a pleasing sound, I'd be a little more than vain to forgo the V1000. I'm not one that goes searching for twisties, but I do enjoy having gobs of power at my disposal, should I need it to escape a hairy situation, or just to make the trip to point B that much faster.

That other thread got me wondering though, what would the detractors be to stay away from the 1000? Is it strictly weight, and/or handling? I like having a lighter bike, but is 70 pounds all that much when you've got roughly double the horsepower to carry it around?

Last edited by neviander; 09-04-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 AM

The Versys 1000 is the low cost option in this category but unlike the Versys 650 I think there are more appealing options in the category like the KTM SMT. There is also an all new, completely redesigned VStrom 1000 appearing early next year. Adventure bikes seem to be the new hot category for motorcycles. I would also like to see Honda's adventure bike with the 800cc V4 but I don't think it will be coming to NA. Also there is a chance there may be an adventure bike version of the FZ9. I do like the idea of an adventure bike optimized for street performance though like the SMT or Versys. A 450 to 550lb off road bike does not really make a lot of sense to me and I don't think would have the agility and light weight to make it fun to ride off pavement. These bikes are more appropriate for occasional use on graded dirt roads a car can drive on, than on trails.

Last edited by versys_rider; 09-03-2013 at 12:39 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I don't figure it will be available any time soon here in the states, but that 1043 cc motor has me mighty curious. I didn't want to highjack the thread talking about coming back to the 650 V, from the V1K, so I started my own.

I've found more and more things that I like about my Versys 650, particularly the engine. With it's uneven firing order, it's parallel twin makes a downright sexy sound when it gets up around 7 thousand rpm, or so. It's got a healthy lope at idle too I've never really found it lacking in power, but I don't have any other history with any other bike than a KLR, so my take on power may be skewed in that respect. But I have to wonder about that inline 4 that Kawasaki borrowed from the Z1000 (heavily considered buying that) and tweaked a bit to put on a slightly beefed up Versys frame. All that being said, I'm not one to put form over function and if the only thing I'm going to be missing from the 650 is a pleasing sound, I'd be a little more than vain to forgo the V1000. I'm not one that goes searching for twisties, but I do enjoy having gobs of power at my disposal, should I need it to escape a hairy situation, or just to make the trip to point B that much faster.

That other thread got me wondering though, what would the detractors be to stay away from the 1000? Is it strictly weight, and/or handling? I like having a lighter bike, but is 70 pounds all that much when you've got roughly double the horsepower to carry it around?
Hi Neviander!
Quoting myselt in order to answer your questions:

"Quote:
Pro:
The V1K is really fast & strong, one can tour two up with luggage without any problems. It is amazingly easy to ride, you can never be in the "wrong gear" and it has really good brakes, twistys are no match for it neighter. Finally, its a great looking bike IMHO

Cons:
The V1K have two power setups one "full" and one "Low" that delivers only 75% of the engines power. Well, I fail to see the use in this. Fuel economy is not much better in the "low" function. All it does is to make your bike go a bit slower. I used it in the breaking in period and never touched it again. Most of the guys on the V1K forum did the same. A function no one uses.

The riding position is not nearly as comfy as on the 650, granted that the V1K seat is thick & nice but its the ergonomics of the bike itself. I slammed on foot lowering pegs and bar risers but still not so nice as the 650.

Its a large and heavy bike, espesially on the garage way. I never learned to ride it the way I ride my 650.

But the main reason was the engine it self. For me at least, a bike should vibrate, it should almoust feel alive when your riding it. The V1K felt like driving a car on two wheels. Some people enjoy the in line four. I thought that I would, instead I ended up just useing the bike when I had to somewhere, rarely for any pleasure cruises.

Building-wise, both the bikes are of the same qualety as far as I can see, the V1K have more electrical gadgets and an aloy frame, but disk brakes rust just the same as on the 650. For me, less fancy stuff means less stuff that can brake and end up spoiling my vacation plans.

In conclusion, the V1K is a fantastic bike for those who enjoy this type of bikes, really good value for the money. One gets a bike thats equal to the R1200GS in every aspect but offroad, and seriously, how many owners really take the beemer offroad?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Having had the 1000 for almost a year now and the 650 before it, I have a few comparisons of my own.
First of all I absolutely loved the 650, at the time it was the best of all the bikes I had owned over the years. I'm sure I would still have it if Kawi didn't come out with the 1000 (damn you Kawi ) but as mentioned here several times, there were some rides where I wished it had "a liitle more power". I ride a lot of hilly twisty routes and also doing more overnighters with luggage as well as riding with a group all in the 900-1200cc range and it felt like it was struggling at times.
As Neviander pointed out, the 1000 at only 70 lbs heavier and 118 hp has tons of power and acceleration which comes in handy sometimes. With my wife on the back and fully loaded side and top bags, it purrs along at 80 mph @ 5000 rpm with no whining or vibrations at all.
As with the 650 it carries it weight very well and to me it is just as agile and flickable which I would never want to give up. I ride 100% street so comparisons to the 1200GS don't matter to me but from things I have read, the Kawi engine and power delivery is much superior.
Ideally I would have kept the 650 also too but since I only have space for one bike the V1 is better overall for me.
Ride on

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Honestly believe I would buy the V1000 if my wife was a pillion as I do find the 650 V ok for two ups but not the best. Considered selling my Ninja 1000 for a V1000 but as my wife sold her C50 cruiser and sometimes uses my V650 and she now loves it which means the v650 is part of the family and myself could not see the advantage of having both v650 and v1000 as the Ninja 1000 gives me that day ride power thrust/buzz or whatever you want to call it but is not the most comfortable without my airhawk and for long away trips the trusty v 650 with the three givi bin system gets me there in relative comfort.

Also my wife is the worst pillion in the world so better her to have motorbike to ride when she does not have a horse event thingy on, imagine that riding one horsepower.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Honestly believe I would buy the V1000 if my wife was a pillion as I do find the 650 V ok for two ups but not the best. Considered selling my Ninja 1000 for a V1000 but as my wife sold her C50 cruiser and sometimes uses my V650 and she now loves it which means the v650 is part of the family and myself could not see the advantage of having both v650 and v1000 as the Ninja 1000 gives me that day ride power thrust/buzz or whatever you want to call it but is not the most comfortable without my airhawk and for long away trips the trusty v 650 with the three givi bin system gets me there in relative comfort.

Also my wife is the worst pillion in the world so better her to have motorbike to ride when she does not have a horse event thingy on, imagine that riding one horsepower.
the only thing worse than only 1 hp is the exhaust smaells pretty bad too.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Having ridden the 2008, 2011 V650 and V1K, they are different beast which caters different needs.

Used and still ride about 800km for work, the V650 did show signs of strain and I do feel fatique. However, with the V1k, I arrive earlier and in better shape. She has the extra power to haul luggage at speeds. Her ugly fairings also provided good rider protection. not a nimble a big bike which needs gas during turning but hell of a tourer. You could race Z1000 on this.

The V650 is more fun to ride but I love the V1k is a long distance commuter's bike.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode