Did an Iron Butt ride on my Verys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did an Iron Butt ride on my Verys!

Well, i have finally done a lifelong goal of mine and rode one of the Iron Butt rides. I did their "smallest" ride the Saddle Sore 1000 which is 1000 miles in 24 hours.

I left the Dallas area Sat at 7:35 am. My rough path was as follows

Dallas to Texarkana to Hot Springs Ar to Little Rock to Jonesboro Ar to Memphis Tn to New Albany Ms to Jackson Ms to Ferriday La.

All told, I did 1040 in 24 hours. This included a short motel room stay somewhere in Mississipi. I actually dont remember where. It was dark and I was tired.

LOL, I also did this on the stock seat!

Unfortunately, due to a record keeping error on my part, I dont think I can get the ride certified by the IBA. I failed to get a gas receipt in Little Rock which was one of the 'corners' of my ride so I dont think they will accept it.

Oh well, I know I did it, thats all that matters. It was an amazing ride. It also taught me what to expect when I do another Iron Butt ride. I might try another Saddlesore 1000 and make sure I do the paperwork right. Or I might move up to the Bun Burner 1500...1500 mile in 36 hours!

For those who want more info on the IBA please check them out here.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

And by the way, all I did to the versys the whole trip was lube the chain once. Unfortunately I have no pictures..no time to take any.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 AM

Congratulations Saki Cat. Quite an accomplishment.

I've done some long rides on my bike, but none quite that long, and all on the Corbin. I think you must have more of a Rubber Butt to do what you did.

Glad it worked out for you.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Congrats man! You would probably need a chase car if you wanted any pictures. How long did you sleep? Did you have to do much slab to do the miles in 24 hours?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I only slept about 4 or 5 hours Sharrison. There is just no time to do anything on these rides except ride.

Most of the ride was Interstate. There were some smaller backroads here and there but I tried to keep those to a minimum. I would say about 100 miles of two lanes maybe.

Epic ride tho. I recommend it to anyone. I should add that I also rode around and saw some friends on Sunday then came home monday. 1450 miles total.

What a blast.

"If Caesar was alive today I would be chained to an oar".

This life is a test
It is only a test
Had it been an actual life
You would have received
Further Instructions on
Where to go and what to do

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Congratulations. Doing one on Monday, just no sleep. Here is the route I'll be taking. Cheers.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...74,19.6875&z=6

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Ya know, I did so many 1000miles in a day in old Africa and always wondered what is wrong with USA. But since I have been there. i honestly have to say that doing 1000 miles in 1 day in USA is HUGE!!!!

The speed limit you got is just wrong for Iron Butt. also, in Africa there are very little cops to non. So going over the speed limit is ez. But USA, I respect!

Legend Bro!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 AM

if we all throw in 3 bucks you would get enough cash for a corbin!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Good job! My ass hurts just reading about it!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki Cat View Post

LOL, I also did this on the stock seat!

Unfortunately, due to a record keeping error on my part, I dont think I can get the ride certified by the IBA. I failed to get a gas receipt in Little Rock which was one of the 'corners' of my ride so I dont think they will accept it.
If you paid your gas with a credit card, you could try to get a copy of the receipt from the credit card company.

Good to hear about your adventure. 1000 miles in 24h make me more confident about my 2500 miles vacation in one week

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Saki Cat,

That all I can think of. Guess your seats broken in now.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Saki Cat, Congratulations on the ride! I did my SS1000 11 years ago and then hung up my riding boots. Now that I'm back I am planning on the Great Lakes Challenge ride in July. All five lakes (2400 miles) in under 100 hours (planned 64 hours for me).

I don't plan on replacing the stock seat before that. When I wear my Areostitch I really don't mind the seat. In just jeans I feel like the only thing between my bike and me is my nuts!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Good job! My ass hurts just reading about it!!

My ass hurt so bad reading it I just called JC Motors and ordered a Corbin.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM

damn, you did it on a stock seat?!! mad props to the buckest rider on a V!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Saki Cat, Congratulations on the ride! I did my SS1000 11 years ago and then hung up my riding boots. Now that I'm back I am planning on the Great Lakes Challenge ride in July. All five lakes (2400 miles) in under 100 hours (planned 64 hours for me).

I don't plan on replacing the stock seat before that. When I wear my Areostitch I really don't mind the seat. In just jeans I feel like the only thing between my bike and me is my nuts!
Very cool Rustic Road maps!

I have noticed the same thing with my seat and which pants I'm wearing. Good gear and the seat is not much of an issue. Jeans and it tares at my ass and numbs all of my junk.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the comment on the map. Its an easy mashup between google maps and google docs spread sheet. Read about how to do it here: http://gmaps-samples.googlecode.com/...ecustommap.htm

I did 630 miles and 8 more rustics yesterday, temps in the high 40s and rain most of the way!

I totally agree with more than just jeans the stock seat is fine. I had 4 layers on (Synth Long Johns, Thin travel pants, polar fleece pants and Aerostitch) yesterday and was fine.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode