Aaand Im back, sold the Versys 1000! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aaand Im back, sold the Versys 1000!

Hello guys!

Well Im back again! For those who remember me, i traded my old 650 for a V1K last year. Got rid of the Versys 1000 and got me a brand new 2011 Versys 650 some days ago with all the SW-Motech goodies one can get!

Got the v1k because I thougt it would be a Versys 650 with a bigger engine, if you know what I mean. Well it wasnt, it felt like a 239 kilos vacuumcleaner. The bike itself is nice, the brakes are excellent and the engine is strong & fast like [email protected] its no fun to ride IMHO.

Got my 650 this thursday and took her for a four day-, 970 kilometers long touring on the twistys to break her in. Every kilometer with a big smile. Feels like I found my way home with this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow.. Fascinating story!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome back and as you know ive considered the v1000 but felt I may regret getting rid of the 650 plus my orange 650 is part of the family now.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Will be good to know which were the pro/con between the two and what was the main reason you switch (on both cases).
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Welcome home Oggy!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM
MTS

back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 09-02-2013 at 06:48 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Hello guys!

Well Im back again! For those who remember me, i traded my old 650 for a V1K last year. Got rid of the Versys 1000 and got me a brand new 2011 Versys 650 some days ago with all the SW-Motech goodies one can get!

Got the v1k because I thougt it would be a Versys 650 with a bigger engine, if you know what I mean. Well it wasnt, it felt like a 239 kilos vacuumcleaner. The bike itself is nice, the brakes are excellent and the engine is strong & fast like [email protected] its no fun to ride IMHO.

Got my 650 this thursday and took her for a four day-, 970 kilometers long touring on the twistys to break her in. Every kilometer with a big smile. Feels like I found my way home with this bike.
Wow, I never thought I'd see someone move back to the 650!
Welcome back.......post some pics
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Imho kawasaki should of made a 800cc twin versys with 90 hp
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Garage
back!

I do not have other bikes to compare to, but this bike seems perfectly fine to me.

Then again, I tend to not drive too fast and I like "the twisties."

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
back and thanks on the V1000. Was looking at it for a long time but not sure how it handles.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
back and thanks on the V1000. Was looking at it for a long time but not sure how it handles.

It will not be as nimble as your blue steed bro.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 AM

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 AM

Glad to have you back. You are far from the first to sell the V only to buy another one. I almost sold mine a while back but I came to my senses as the V fits me perfectly. I just need to quit looking at new bikes!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Will be good to know which were the pro/con between the two and what was the main reason you switch (on both cases).
Pro:
The V1K is really fast & strong, one can tour two up with luggage without any problems. It is amazingly easy to ride, you can never be in the "wrong gear" and it has really good brakes, twistys are no match for it neighter. Finally, its a great looking bike IMHO

Cons:
The V1K have two power setups one "full" and one "Low" that delivers only 75% of the engines power. Well, I fail to see the use in this. Fuel economy is not much better in the "low" function. All it does is to make your bike go a bit slower. I used it in the breaking in period and never touched it again. Most of the guys on the V1K forum did the same. A function no one uses.

The riding position is not nearly as comfy as on the 650, granted that the V1K seat is thick & nice but its the ergonomics of the bike itself. I slammed on foot lowering pegs and bar risers but still not so nice as the 650.

Its a large and heavy bike, espesially on the garage way. I never learned to ride it the way I ride my 650.

But the main reason was the engine it self. For me at least, a bike should vibrate, it should almoust feel alive when your riding it. The V1K felt like driving a car on two wheels. Some people enjoy the in line four. I thought that I would, instead I ended up just useing the bike when I had to somewhere, rarely for any pleasure cruises.

Building-wise, both the bikes are of the same qualety as far as I can see, the V1K have more electrical gadgets and an aloy frame, but disk brakes rust just the same as on the 650. For me, less fancy stuff means less stuff that can brake and end up spoiling my vacation plans.

In conclusion, the V1K is a fantastic bike for those who enjoy this type of bikes, really good value for the money. One gets a bike thats equal to the R1200GS in every aspect but offroad, and seriously, how many owners really take the beemer offroad?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Glad to have you back. You are far from the first to sell the V only to buy another one. I almost sold mine a while back but I came to my senses as the V fits me perfectly. I just need to quit looking at new bikes!
Thanks buddy, I am really glad to be a part of this forum again. This is my sixth bike over the years, and I will never ride anything but the Versys, to me it has everything I can wish in a bike, looks, handling, engine sound and I really like the fact that there is a sh*tload of aftemarket stuff I can spend my hard earned money on
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
back!

Then again, I tend to not drive too fast and I like "the twisties."
Thanks, I ride the same way as you, it seams. Im in no hurry and take the time to enjoy the surroundings when I ride
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Imho kawasaki should of made a 800cc twin versys with 90 hp
yes, and built around the versys 650 frame, so that it really is a Versys, not only by name.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Wow, I never thought I'd see someone move back to the 650!
Welcome back.......post some pics
Theres at least one more fellow on the V1K forum that didnthe same. Quoting him:

"I myself had the V650, then bought the V1,then went back to a new V650. On the test ride of the V1 i was in love with the bike,so much so i bought It, i loved the power and the fact that it was a good bike 2 up as it had a good weight payload.The V1 was a good bike cant take that away from the bike ,however i started compairing the bike to the 650 and the only real difference and advantage was it was good for 2 up , with more power, I had more grin factor on the 650. Both V650, V1K, are very good bikes ,but the 650 running costs were going to be much better, fuel,tyres,servicing,insurance, ETC.

I thought about when the warranty runs out, it could be costly with the computer if it ever went wrong, the fact it had a data collector logger installed into the bike was also a little of putting, but could go for or against you in court if there ever was an accident ,something that was not mentioned when purchasing the bike.The ease of the 650 and maintenance of the bike made me go back, i bought a 650 in white and love it to bits."
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome back and as you know ive considered the v1000 but felt I may regret getting rid of the 650 plus my orange 650 is part of the family now.
Phil - your orange 650 is NOT only part of YOUR family, but you could ALWAYS keep it to lend to North Americans to ride when they come to NZ to visit....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Phil - your orange 650 is NOT only part of YOUR family, but you could ALWAYS keep it to lend to North Americans to ride when they come to NZ to visit....
Well it has been offered to my good buddies in Malaysia if they ever get over here so would not want to exclude North America as it would be rude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode