Versys vs. Gladius review in July/Aug - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys vs. Gladius review in July/Aug

FYI
Road Runner magazine is doing a comparision between the V and the Suzuki Gladius in their coming July/Aug issue (Dare they go up against the Motty). I had never seen the Galdius so I checked it out. (Looks like a Duprilia). Should be an interesting article, gotta say I still like the looks of the V better.

What's happening here, Yamaha's FZ6R, Suzuki's Gladius? (I think they feel Kawi got something going here in the US)

Looks like the "either a sportbike or cruiser" in the USA is getting another type of bike on the block, I like it.

pmac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
FYI
Road Runner magazine is doing a comparision between the V and the Suzuki Gladius in their coming July/Aug issue (Dare they go up against the Motty). I had never seen the Galdius so I checked it out. (Looks like a Duprilia). Should be an interesting article, gotta say I still like the looks of the V better.

What's happening here, Yamaha's FZ6R, Suzuki's Gladius? (I think they feel Kawi got something going here in the US)

Looks like the "either a sportbike or cruiser" in the USA is getting another type of bike on the block, I like it.

pmac
That(Suzuki) is the most blatant copy of an Aprilia Shiver I could imagine. I like the Shiver, so I like the look of the Suzuki as well. Doesn't look as "versatile" as the V to me.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
That(Suzuki) is the most blatant copy of an Aprilia Shiver I could imagine. I like the Shiver, so I like the look of the Suzuki as well. Doesn't look as "versatile" as the V to me.
The Gladius looks better in person than it does in the photos. I sat on a Gladius at the dealer. It feels way smaller than my Versys. Not as long, not as tall, not so roomy. Otherwise, it seemed like a fine standard/sporty bike.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM

The Gladius and the Versys are not competitors, so I have no idea what the angle on that article could be. They are TOTALLY different bikes aimed at totally different markets…I should know, I have both in my garage (red 08 Versys, black 09 Gladius).

The Gladius is far more agile than the Versys, has quicker reflexes, is slightly faster, and it is very compact with an I-MAX view out the front. But with no wind protection/fairing (factory windscreen is on order), tidy dimensions, limited adjustment potential of the suspension, and tissue-thin seat, it’s much more of an effort to take on long trips (though the Cortech Sport saddlebags and tail bag fit nicely).

Of course, I prefer the Versys, but my wife looks great tearing it up on the Gladius. Win-win for me!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Appler, I came close the other day to buying a Gladius to go with my Versys but ended up buying a '06 Vstrom instead. The Vstrom is almost new with very few miles and I'm quiet happy except for the long reach to the ground. I have a 28" inseam so it's real tippy toe on that one. Same engine as the Gladius but I understand the Gladius has been re-tweeked and I can believe it after riding one. The reason I didn't buy the Gladius was the rock hard seat, what I felt was poor breaking and it seems smaller than my Versys. Other than that I think it's a great looking bike and the performance is very respectable also. I rode one at a dealer the other day and it almost felt like a crotch rocket. Great power. Anyway, congrats on the Gladius and we'll look forward to some comparision reports in the future.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 06-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM

Gladius is a Latin word for sword. Early ancient Roman swords were similar to those used by the Greeks. From the 3rd century BC, the Romans adopted swords similar to those used by the Celtiberians and others during the early part of the conquest of Hispania.

A fully-equipped Roman soldier would have been armed with a shield (scutum), several javelins (pila), a sword (gladius), probably a dagger (pugio) and perhaps a number of darts (plumbatae). Conventionally, the javelins would be thrown before engaging the enemy, at which point the gladius would be drawn. The soldier generally led with his shield and thrust with his sword. Despite the gladius being designed for thrusting at the enemy from behind the protection of the shield, all types of gladius appear to have been suitable for slashing and chopping motions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM

...and a brief history of armaments, for anyone who found themselves struggling mightily with the word and neither the Wikipedia nor the A-Team were picking up the phone…
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like the Gladius & ER-6N would be a more likely comparison, which makes me a bit more curious about the upcoming article.

I'll have to head into the Suzuki dealer and check one out.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Sounds like the Gladius & ER-6N would be a more likely comparison, which makes me a bit more curious about the upcoming article.
July Cycle World has a Gladius / ER6n comparison. I just read it. I won't give it away though.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Appler,

can you please compare between the two about the engine and the gear box to use intown and highway intown (short rides).

Would you still prefer the versys for intown use?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM

I test rode both the Gladius and the Versys and, to be honest, the only reasons I didn't chose the Gladius was the cost ( at the time, almost $1k more than the Versys ) and the fact that seat was even more uncomfortable than the Versys. It was like sitting on a 4x4 and I felt it even on the 20 mile test drive. And there are no aftermarket seats for it yet ( too new ). I loved the motor ( the sound was sweet ) and it was easy to ride. Maybe in a few years I'll look for one used as a good second bike.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM

I liked the look of the Gladius alot, however.........It was like sitting on a childs bike.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM

No problem, Guz.

The gearbox of the Gladius is smoother without a doubt. I never find myself missing shifts on the Versys, mind you, but the Suzuki's just feels more refined. As far as the engine, the Versys is torqueier...there are many times when the Versys can comfortably be in 6th where the Gladius must be in 5th. With that said, the Gladius engine has a much better growl and seems to breath better at higher rpms. Their red lines are that same. Fuel mileage is the same, but the Versys has a longer range due to the larger tank (5.0 vs. 3.8).

In traffic, I much prefer the Versys with its taller vantage, torqueier engine, and the feeling that I could jump a curb if I needed a right-now exit. For short urban rides with little traffic or open twisties for about a half-hour, there's no question that the Gladius is much more fun. For longer trips (if you level the seat out a bit), the Versys takes the prize for suspension adjustability and farkle support.

Some extra information: Suzuki just released an OE "touring" seat for the Gladius that I picked up Tuesday. I haven't put it on yet, but it seems thicker and a little taller ($170). Also, SW Motech released some quick-remove brackets for the Gladius that will accept GIVI/H&B/etc. hard cases. We'll be grabbing them shortly and seeing how the GIVI e21s work on it.

IMHO, the Gladius looks will age better than the ER-6n. The Versys with supersport tires is probably 55%-45% sport/touring. The Gladius (with its excellent ss stock tires) is probably closer to 75%-25% sport tour. However, my woman and took and 2-week, 4000 mile trip in August and she toughed it out on the Gladius on the stock seat and with some Cortech soft bags (with drybags inside...the supplied covers suck). The longest day was 600 miles. She's an excellent rider and I simply could not shake her in the twisties. So it's all a matter of how bad you want it. We also have the OE flyscreen on the Gladius that that's a must for long highway jaunts.

They are both really great bikes; just really different. I wouldn't get rid of either. I just wish my wife was tall enough for the Versys so I could ride the Gladius more when we're together!

Hope that helps!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM

I think the Gladius could single-handedly be the pig-ugliest bike of all time...

but that's just me.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
The reason I didn't buy the Gladius was the rock hard seat
Suzuki sells an optional thick seat cushion for the Gladius. In a past review of the bike I read, they said don't leave the dealer without the optional seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode