seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
seat

I just bought a new 2011 V, I think that Kawaski could put a good seat on this bike as long as its been in production. If I don`t get this seat worked out this things gotta go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjumper3d View Post
I just bought a new 2011 V, I think that Kawaski could put a good seat on this bike as long as its been in production. If I don`t get this seat worked out this things gotta go.

The seat can be fixed or replaced.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:02 AM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=37906

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM

For anything longer than a 30 minute ride, I use the Airhawk seat cushion, size Medium, cruiser. Works wonders for this older guys bum.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I ride w/ the stock seat, front raised 9/16", and yesterday put in 400 kms (240 miles) of twisties over about 6 hours. Bum's FINE!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 PM

I ride the stocker for hours at a time. 5 hours has been my longest and no problems. In fact, I find it very comfortable. Mine is a 2011 too.

Maybe you guys just have super sensitive bums??

That said, my last bike's seat was liking sitting on plywood and after 8 years on that perhaps I've numbed all sensation off by now?!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:39 PM

The seat is a Fix or Replace item for a lot of folks on almost any bike. The good news is that means there are a lot of options out there. Weljo is the master of this topic for the 650V. I did a $5 seat mod that fixed it for me. You issues may require a more significant outlay of. Cash.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM

I have no problem with the stock seat... But, like Capn Kirk I too use an Airhawk for my longer trips.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
For anything longer than a 30 minute ride, I use the Airhawk seat cushion, size Medium, cruiser. Works wonders for this older guys bum.

How much higher is the seating position with the cushion? I've been thinking of getting one... I am 5'10" with a stock seat and I can flat foot one side and semi tiptoe on both.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
How much higher is the seating position with the cushion? I've been thinking of getting one... I am 5'10" with a stock seat and I can flat foot one side and semi tiptoe on both.
I am 5'8" (30" inseam) with the lowering kit installed.

I would say the cusion adds no more than an inch but I do notice the added height. It does not present a problem for me.

Keep in mind that you run the Airhawk Cushion almost flat or very little air. There is a valve where you blow up the cusion. The recommended setting is to sit on the cusion (overinflated) and let out the air very slowly until your butt begins to feel the seat underneath. So when I rock side to side, I feel the seat through the cusion. When level, I am hovering just above the seat.

Also, there are 2 styles of Airhawk at difference pricing. The original is roughly $130 and the Airhwawk2 is ~$70-80 (dont hold me to these). Just wanted you to be aware that there are two materials and supposedly the more expensive which I have should last longer.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM

This may be a dumb question, but that Airhawk cushion is not attached to anything, right?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpolrider View Post
This may be a dumb question, but that Airhawk cushion is not attached to anything, right?
It has two straps that run under the seat. I hook mine up left-front to right-rear and right-front to left-rear. In Cap'n Kirk's pic the straps aren't installed but you can see the little black fabric tabs thei connect to.

BTW - I'm 5'8 with 30" inseam and have little or no problem at a stop. Stock ride/peg height... with or without the Airhawk. Guess I've just gotten used to all the variables.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 09-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpolrider View Post
I store it in the trunk. I never strap it. When I head out for a long ride, I toss it in place and go. It has never moved, even when I stand up on some of the bumpy bridges I cross. It does have a grippy type bottom layer which keeps it from moving.

As I said, if its a ~30 minute or less ride, I skip the cushion.

As posted by genehil, it does come with straps. Mine are still in the box. They can easily be used on the Versys, I just choose not to.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM
MTS

Quote:
LOL You got that right!

Air Hawk is awesome! It works best if you do some mod to change the forward slope toward the tank.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Lots of seat threads on this forum. Many choices from home-made to very high end. Something like Seat Concepts is middle ground.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your input guys! I gotta look into getting one then..
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Is the hump on the seat concepts moved back toward the rear or is it in the stock location ? The Adcock seat looks to have the comfort of the rider really in mind.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Is the hump on the seat concepts moved back toward the rear or is it in the stock location ? The Adcock seat looks to have the comfort of the rider really in mind.
It's slightly further back. My wife finds the rider position much more comfortable than the stock seat was. You can't really go wrong with the Seat Concepts seat. If for some reason you get it and don't like it, you can sell it on this forum for slightly less than what you paid for it. It's not like you would be out the full amount you paid.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Yep, Seat Concepts is the way to go!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
In addition to it being slightly further back, it's also at a sharper angle and it seems taller than the stock rise. The butt part of the seat is also molded so that you sit in it, instead of on it. Instead of feeling pitched forward, you feel more reclined. This has caused some problems for me with comfort, as I had to really reach for the bars and this put more pressure on my thighs than normal. I just put on some 2" Rox risers, and it seems to have corrected the riding position. I also wound up lowering the bike. It felt tall before, but the extra seat height made it more awkward coming to a stop. I'm 6'3", 32 inseam for reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode