First road trip on a V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First road trip on a V

Well I finally did my first road trip, I live in lower Michigan and we did a 1500 mile trek which took us to the very tip of the state (Copper Harbor) and back. WOW, my first time in that area of the UP (upper peninsula). Now I know why God made the UP and motorcycles. The V was very good on the trip, loaded with camping gear. I thought the bike handled the open road well, although felt a little lite in higher crosswinds. My main complaint was with the stock seat, it does need help! We stopped about every 150 miles and not a moment to soon, my butt was basically numb by then. I Have the Motowerk highway pegs, they kept shifting down, so I need to find a way to make them more secure. Also the throttle lock from 2wheelride.com worked great. All my gear tied to the bike gave me a wonderful back rest. I found the V is very loose with the stock Dunlops on dirt roads, and the suspension needs a little help over the rough terrain of seasonal roads (yes I know its not a dirtbike), made me look twice at my buddies 1200 Beamer though. Overall I loved my first road trip, and can not wait for the next one. By the way road H58 from Manistee going east is Michigans Tail of the Dragon, a must for ride if you are ever in the area....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Where do you have your motowerk peg mounts mounted to. If like on speedys web-site if you tightened them down they shouldn't move..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Hail fellow michigander from Romeo MI!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Yeah the seats hurt and I'm only 75kg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM

I have found that a wide flat saddle is best. It should be firm, almost hard to give the best support. I rode my KLR (before I had the Versys) to Florida from Ohio and had no problems with the Sargents Saddle. I put a Seat Concepts kit on the Versys in plus 1 firmness foam and the longer I'm on the bike the better it gets.

Glad you had a good trip. Yep you will get blown about but it's worth it for the handling on the back roads.

Now start planning that next trip!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlvnearly View Post
By the way road H58 from Manistee going east is Michigans Tail of the Dragon, a must for ride if you are ever in the area....
I think you mean Munising. Manistee is in the LP.

From Wikipedia:

H-58 is a county-designated highway in the US state of Michigan that runs east–west for approximately 69 miles (111 km) between the communities of Munising and Deer Park in the Upper Peninsula.

I would like to take a trip up there again. I woke my son up one Saturday morning and told him we were going to "The Bridge." He needed to get in day and night time driving time for his permit so off we went. After crossing the bridge, we decided to do a loop of the UP. We stopped at the 'falls and went to White Fish Point and looked at the largest fresh water lake in the world, Superior. We were going to go to Copper Harbor but it was a little far for our day trip. We swung around west, then south, back east, and then crossed the bridge again. Of course we stopped along the way for some fudge and a pastys.

Last edited by david3921; 08-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Yes, you are correct...Munising was the city. I dont know where Manistee came from..LOL
The first 5-10 mile of H58 east of Munising is long and straight with a few turns, then all the sudden it turns into winding roads for about 5 miles maybe...Anyway had a great ride in the UP, so much better on 2 wheels than in a car.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
WOW, my first time in that area of the UP (upper peninsula). Now I know why God made the UP and motorcycles.
Copper Harbor is lovely, but the UP and motorcycles mix well only part of the year. Much of the time, snowmobiles are a better option.

Other than that, I love the UP.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Born and raised in Kalamazoo!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, you are correct...Munising was the city. I dont know where Manistee came from..LOL
Perhaps it came from the fact that there are two lakes in the UP called Manistique. As well as the county seat in one county in the UP possesses the same name.

It is easily confused.

I am glad you had a fun ride. I hope to do that someday.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode