Back support for long rides - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Back support for long rides

Anyone use some sort of back support for longer rides? Kidney belt or something else?

Thanks,

Sean

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Not me... Just to get the responses started.
I've done some long trips and haven't felt a need... yet... but, it could be a pretty good idea for some of us.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres the one i have good price and built to last. http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBel...cycleBelt.html Makes a long haul easier.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

I have a back support belt pretty similar to the one above in Joe's post.
NO WAY do any of their "it gives 60% more support" etc have any foundation for the truth!!
the truth is....if you get a sore back while riding the best way to stop it is to stop riding!!!period!!
so, we aren't gonna stop, so next is the seat on your bike, then your bike, then a back support...in that order.
Trust me, l have been riding with chronic back pain for years due to cars/rocks/ditches jumping out & making me crash into them over the years, & now l'm paying for it.
The Versys is probably never going to be the best bike as far as ergonomics is concerned, but you can make it bearable.
Today l took my GF's Shadow cruiser for a new front tyre, & it feels better for back comfort, but the fact that it's boring wouldn't make me buy one (another)
so as far as back pain is concerned, it's horses for courses, but just to answer your original question again; I wear a back support, & yes it helps ( a bit!)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM

I wear a back protector with kidney belt all the time anyways, so...

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I was just curious.

I did my first longer ride yesterday. Just over 5 hrs on the bike and 205 miles. All back roads...

anyway.... ive been hitting the gym hard the last few weeks and im not sure if that was contributory or not...

Im trying to build up my time in the saddle. I want to put together an "Epic" ride next year maybe.

I ride dirt bikes too and have never used a kidney belt, but i stand up a lot on the dirt bike.

Sean

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
I wear a back protector with kidney belt all the time anyways, so...
+1.

And on the point of "Standing up" on dirt bikes - set up the V to do the same, and (on longer rides), stand up when you come into a town limit, and have a good stretch, and wriggle around! Works wonders.

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 AM

I've had my share of back issues, mostly muscle spasms although I do have a scoliosis in my back as well. I have to say that the Versys has been very good for my lower back, compared to the sv1000s and the Vulcan 800 I used to ride.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TigerBill View Post
+1.

And on the point of "Standing up" on dirt bikes - set up the V to do the same, and (on longer rides), stand up when you come into a town limit, and have a good stretch, and wriggle around! Works wonders.
I do stand quite a bit. The dirt riding has come in handy on a few rides. I just pick a direction an ride. I have found myself on some beat up gravel roads and even some two track for a bit. Standing in the rough stuff is the only way to go!

2011 Versys
2008 KTM 200xc-w
2012 KLR650 (wife's)
2005 CRF230 (wife's)
2007 KX 100 (daughter's)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
I've had my share of back issues, mostly muscle spasms although I do have a scoliosis in my back as well. I have to say that the Versys has been very good for my lower back, compared to the sv1000s and the Vulcan 800 I used to ride.
+1

The ergos on the Versys have been the best I've experienced in many years of riding.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickyteflon View Post
Anyone use some sort of back support for longer rides? Kidney belt or something else?

Thanks,

Sean
Kidney belt - ALWAYS! (Part of my ATGATT.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TigerBill View Post
+1.

Suggest you change out to 'toothed' footpegs to improve safety when your 'pegs get wet (I use DR650 'pegs). E-bay ones on my '08, OEM DR650 ones on my '09 - the E-bay ones are better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05966 copy.jpg (57.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09212 copy.jpg (63.5 KB, 64 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

I use the velcro elastic waist trimmer belt (it's only about $10) if i'm gonna ride any more than about 30 minutes. I've found, for me, without the belt, my sides start to hurt pretty quick. I have also found that getting in to a little physical regimen before a long road trip (sit ups, a little strength training) significantly helps my endurance. My Versys has the passenger back rest which (with no passenger) holds my motorcycle luggage bag which sticks forward just enough to give me (the driver) something to lean against as I tire (is that the correct spelling?) on a lengthy ride.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I was just curious.

I did my first longer ride yesterday. Just over 5 hrs on the bike and 205 miles. All back roads...

anyway.... ive been hitting the gym hard the last few weeks and im not sure if that was contributory or not...

Im trying to build up my time in the saddle. I want to put together an "Epic" ride next year maybe.

I ride dirt bikes too and have never used a kidney belt, but i stand up a lot on the dirt bike.

Sean
it does. Stronger core muscles and back muscles are the key towards better riding position and hence, endurance. That, and also your inner thigh muscles that allows you to grip the tank so one is anchored on the bike with less strain.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I use Kindey Belt all the time and it helps a lot.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks,

Sean
The best thing for this is exercise. In particular the kind of exercises that strengthen your core muscles that support your back and abdomen. It also helps prevent back problems. Walking and running is also great as these have the side affect of strengthening these.

With weak core muscles we tend to slouch which causes back issues. Also bumps cause more of an issue with weak muscles in this area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode