Hey! My Old V is for sale! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey! My Old V is for sale!

Funny. Was perusing Ebay and ran across this listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...t_14221wt_1167

I am 95% that is my old V. I'd have to double-check the VIN but I am pretty sure that's the one I bought from Hamie on this site.

Heh. Small world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM

My goodness..that price................... People are selling their used 2012's for less than that these days
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
My goodness..that price................... People are selling their used 2012's for less than that these days
I agree that price is high. When I traded it in, I think I got around $3800 on the trade value, which was fair all things considered. That price listed, however, is way more than I paid for it in 2010.

I haven't seen a used 2012 for that price, though. Most of the ones I've seen have been priced around $6K.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Someone sold their 2012 here just a couple of weeks ago, and I think he was only asking 4500 bucks!
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=36626

Last edited by BigOleChalupa; 08-26-2013 at 10:12 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Someone sold their 2012 here just a couple of weeks ago, and I think he was only asking 4500 bucks!
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=36626
Yeah. Saw that one and thought it was the exception rather than the rule. I did a quick nationwide Craigslist search and the lowest-priced one I found was $5500. Most ranged from $6K on the low end to $7300 on the high.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Hey Billy, on reflection, are you glad you sold it now or do you wish the urge to get a Triumph didn't happen???

PS, all bike prices are relative to that particular 'bike, because some may have never had an oil change till around 5k mls & be scratched & uncared for, whereas some may be in pristine condition & actually a better 'bike than one that is newer.........................
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM

How does that work with pricing anyway? What can one expect for a used 2011 V, say in stock condition? Does the mileage on the bike have a big impact on the price if everything else is relatively OEM?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Hey Billy, on reflection, are you glad you sold it now or do you wish the urge to get a Triumph didn't happen???
This is a really interesting question. Short version - yes - for my needs/wants at the time, I am still okay with the fact that I sold it. I might have kept it and stepped up into a Tiger eventually. Dunno. Life takes you in different directions, just as it is now.

Each bike purchase I've made over the years has been retroactive wish fulfillment. So, for example - I dumped the V to buy a 2000 BMW R 1100 S back in 2010. I had desperately wanted an R11S when they first came out and I just happened to have the time and money at the time one came available.

I got that out of my system, sold it when I moved to DC. Loved that bike - even though I rode it in fear of major mechanical issues. In hindsight, I shouldn't have sold that bike until after I moved out here.

The Tiger 1050 was also wish fulfillment. Had always wanted one, but didn't have the means at the time. Spent 250 mi on it this weekend riding around the hills near Camp David, and then yesterday did some suspension tweaking. Good God, that motor is amazing. It's such a great motorcycle.

But - the official word came through this morning and I'm definitely going to sell it as a result of that. I've got a bunch of work travel coming up so I need to complete that (two weeks) and then I'm going to list it up for sale. It'll take probably a month and a half between the time I sell it and the time I pick up another bike, so if I'm lucky, I can find a V going into the winter.

Funny enough, I can find a used Tiger for about the same price as a V. Been thinking about that, too.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpolrider View Post
How does that work with pricing anyway? What can one expect for a used 2011 V, say in stock condition? Does the mileage on the bike have a big impact on the price if everything else is relatively OEM?
What I should have said was "The price is relative to what YOU want to pay!"

ie; when l was selling a DR650 & wanted a DRZ400 that this Yam/Suzook dealer in 'Vegas had in stock he offered me $2750 for it even though it had many extras "extras don't count towards what l can give you for it!" he said..

whatever......so l went away & sold it next day privately via Craigslist for $3500 & went back to him with cash & got $500 knocked off his asking price because l had cash!...saving myself $1250!!!!....beat that!!!

Also my 2012 Versys cost me $6500, now, there was one on here that went for $4500, but, mine has matching Kawasaki hard bags, bark busters, peg lowering kit, mirror extenders, 2 Brothers exhaust, aftermarket 'screen, brand new (500mls) Michelin Pilot 2 tyres, & a fender extender & it's in immaculate condition.It has had the oil changed a week before I bought it & it's the black on black colour that I wanted,so, this was the bike for me, & the price took a sorta back seat, even though it had 9k mls on the clock, & I don't rack up the miles anyway,so in the end, you have to weigh up the pro's & con's when pricing & buying a 'bike/car/house or anything that you may have to either sell in the future or just hold onto it forever................
Click on the photo's below for a larger view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized.jpg (139.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg resized2.jpg (40.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Britmick; 08-26-2013 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
What I should have said was "The price is relative to what YOU want to pay!"

ie; when l was selling a DR650 & wanted a DRZ400 that this Yam/Suzook dealer in 'Vegas had in stock he offered me $2750 for it even though it had many extras "extras don't count towards what l can give you for it!" he said..

whatever......so l went away & sold it next day privately via Craigslist for $3500 & went back to him with cash & got $500 knocked off his asking price because l had cash!...saving myself $1250!!!!....beat that!!!

Also my 2012 Versys cost me $6500, now, there was one on here that went for $4500, but, mine has matching Kawasaki hard bags, bark busters, peg lowering kit, mirror extenders, 2 Brothers exhaust, aftermarket 'screen, brand new (500mls) Michelin Pilot 2 tyres, & a fender extender & it's in immaculate condition.It has had the oil changed a week before I bought it & it's the black on black colour that I wanted,so, this was the bike for me, & the price took a sorta back seat, even though it had 9k mls on the clock, & I don't rack up the miles anyway,so in the end, you have to weigh up the pro's & con's when pricing & buying a 'bike/car/house or anything that you may have to either sell in the future or just hold onto it forever................
Click on the photo's below for a larger view.
That black on black is dead sexy. No other way to put it. It's about the only way I'd go back to a V at this point.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
That black on black is dead sexy. No other way to put it. It's about the only way I'd go back to a V at this point.
I agree - Sexy!

Britmick, Thanks for answering my Q.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
1/I agree - Sexy!

2/Britmick, Thanks for answering my Q.
1/lt's even more sexy with me on it!!!!(well the missus sez it is!!!)

2/ I have been sent over as British Ambassador to the Toothless States of America, but coz l'm a giving type o' guy, l try to help everyone!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Ironically this forum seems to have a bit of a warped idea of what a used V costs. Yes, someone sold a 2012 for 4500 which had a fair number of miles for the year AND it was a great, great deal at that price...but that's not the norm. Don't take an anomaly and make it the norm. The OP's 2008 with its miles at that price ain't horrible (especially from a dealership). Is it a great deal? Nope. But around here the same bike would be offered at just about the same price.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by SeattleSlammer; 08-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
This is a really interesting question. Short version - yes - for my needs/wants at the time, I am still okay with the fact that I sold it. I might have kept it and stepped up into a Tiger eventually. Dunno. Life takes you in different directions, just as it is now.

Each bike purchase I've made over the years has been retroactive wish fulfillment. So, for example - I dumped the V to buy a 2000 BMW R 1100 S back in 2010. I had desperately wanted an R11S when they first came out and I just happened to have the time and money at the time one came available.

I got that out of my system, sold it when I moved to DC. Loved that bike - even though I rode it in fear of major mechanical issues. In hindsight, I shouldn't have sold that bike until after I moved out here.

The Tiger 1050 was also wish fulfillment. Had always wanted one, but didn't have the means at the time. Spent 250 mi on it this weekend riding around the hills near Camp David, and then yesterday did some suspension tweaking. Good God, that motor is amazing. It's such a great motorcycle.

But - the official word came through this morning and I'm definitely going to sell it as a result of that. I've got a bunch of work travel coming up so I need to complete that (two weeks) and then I'm going to list it up for sale. It'll take probably a month and a half between the time I sell it and the time I pick up another bike, so if I'm lucky, I can find a V going into the winter.

Funny enough, I can find a used Tiger for about the same price as a V. Been thinking about that, too.
So you are going back to a V. I never rode a Tiger but thought about buying one but could never find one used in my parts....how do they compare and why are you going back to the V?

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
So you are going back to a V. I never rode a Tiger but thought about buying one but could never find one used in my parts....how do they compare and why are you going back to the V?

Simply put, they're different bikes, and the Tiger costs more to own than a V. I can own a V without a loan. The Tiger I have, well, not so much. The V has tremendous value, although the used ones are holding their value really well.

The Tiger is more like an adult sport bike, really. It's relatively comfortable, it's got great power, handling. It's pretty as hell.

If you wind it up to 7-8000 RPM, it howls like the sexiest banshee you've ever heard. Can induce serious heartrate increases.

I haven't decided to make the move. Not all the way. But here's a point of reference.

A 2010 V, in good shape with moderate mileage is going to cost you between $5-6K US.

A 2010 Tiger 1050 of equal mileage might cost you $6500-7K.

Yet they stopped making the Tiger 1050, and the new Sport model is only available overseas....

Food for thought....

Is it twice the bike of the V?

No. Not even close. Is it worth 1-2K more? Hell yes. The motor alone is.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
A 2010 V, in good shape with moderate mileage is going to cost you between $5-6K US.
A local dealer has a brand new 2011 for $6100 with 72 miles on it.. How can a 2010 be almost the same?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 AM

The "Book Value" listed in that ad is insane. If it had a source (like NADA), I'd expect them to cite it. And have a lower number.

The Tiger 1050 is probably my favorite bike that I've demoed. Not perfect (what bike is?), but a lot of fun.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
A local dealer has a brand new 2011 for $6100 with 72 miles on it.. How can a 2010 be almost the same?
Used bike sellers (private parties and dealers) often ask more than new holdover bikes cost. Of course if the holdovers aren't nearby it's probably easier to get away with.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just a thought, but there are a LOT of leftover 2011s for sale. And they're all Imperial Red.

Now, this is just me, and I don't want to offend anyone who has one, but I just found the Imperial Red the least attractive color they ever offered the V in.

If the dealers were to plasti-dip those bikes in matte-black or OD green, I'm pretty sure they'd sell quick.

New 2012 Tiger 1050 SEs (last of the bike) list for $12.4K, but there are leftover '11s sitting there new, under warranty, for $11K. The '12s have improvements that the '11s don't, but the point is, it's tough to move a new model when a year or two back is undercutting the current model's value.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Just a thought, but there are a LOT of leftover 2011s for sale. And they're all Imperial Red.
Yup, it is.. Am I correct that the 2010 is when the V had some upgrades to the model? What's the difference between 09's and 10's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode