Suggestions on getting extended warranty please! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suggestions on getting extended warranty please!

Hiya folks!

I'm being offered extended warranty for 2 additional years for USD 420.

Not sure if this is required and also if this is a "fair" price. Plus this is being "packaged" with a 3 year maintenance service contract for a total of USD 1300.

What have you guys done around getting either standalone extended warranty or maintenance contract or both? If you are doing the recommended service yourselves, how do you go about it - refer Versys tech manual etc?

Suggestions / links to threads on this topic much appreciated!! :-)

De-Silva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Silva View Post
Hiya folks!

I'm being offered extended warranty for 2 additional years for USD 420.

Not sure if this is required and also if this is a "fair" price. Plus this is being "packaged" with a 3 year maintenance service contract for a total of USD 1300.

What have you guys done around getting either standalone extended warranty or maintenance contract or both? If you are doing the recommended service yourselves, how do you go about it - refer Versys tech manual etc?

Suggestions / links to threads on this topic much appreciated!! :-)

De-Silva
There is a dealer selling them on Ebay for less. I got one several years ago for my ZZR1200...seem like thats what I paid for a 4 year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Can you change your own oil? Really the V is a very reliable bike and if you can do your own wrenching I see no need for the extra money that you could spend on something else. If you would normally take your bike to a dealer for all service then it might be worth it for you.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Unless it is through Kawi I am not sure about getting it as for the maintenance if it includes tires and brakes I would do it. I hate wrenching!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddone View Post
Can you change your own oil? Really the V is a very reliable bike and if you can do your own wrenching I see no need for the extra money that you could spend on something else. If you would normally take your bike to a dealer for all service then it might be worth it for you.
Baddone, This is my very first bike in the US! :-) Don't have any tools etc,...not sure what it takes to figure out the oil change stuff. Back in India, I'd always go to the dealer as it was inexpensive (low labor costs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Unless it is through Kawi I am not sure about getting it as for the maintenance if it includes tires and brakes I would do it. I hate wrenching!
Paladin, the warranty is through Kawi for sure....and when you say tires abd brakes, do you mean replacement tires and brakes? :-) I didn't get the feeling it was included but I'll check....

Thanks guys, appreciate your input to help a new-comer here!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM

I bought the 2 year extension and 3 year service plan. It includes 2 new tires, 3 batteries and all the service.

In 5 months I have about 17,000 miles and the plan already paid for itself. I'll come out way ahead with it and I don't like doing all the service. I'd rather be riding. Last week they did the 16,000 mile service and it came to $470, all paid for already, of course.

But, if I did low mileage per year, it may not be worth it.

Tell your dealer you will buy it off the net if he does not discount his price.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
I bought the 2 year extension and 3 year service plan. It includes 2 new tires, 3 batteries and all the service.

In 5 months I have about 17,000 miles and the plan already paid for itself. I'll come out way ahead with it and I don't like doing all the service. I'd rather be riding. Last week they did the 16,000 mile service and it came to $470, all paid for already, of course.

But, if I did low mileage per year, it may not be worth it.

Tell your dealer you will buy it off the net if he does not discount his price.
What he said the other good thing about the service plan is they bump your bike to the front of the the wait line. At least that was Harley's policy. If you get two tires and 3 batteries like mentioned above go for it. I probably would to.

I am done wrenching.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Atgatt and Paladin,

Atgatt - if you dont mind me asking, what did this all inclusive deal cost you? I understand if you do not answer...no worries :-) I dont think I'll cross 600 miles a month on this bike... you've just achieved superstar status in my books for 17K miles in 5 months!

Paladin - This dealer also did say about bumping the priority on the service with this plan.

Hmm...interesting that batteries seem to be needed to be replaced so often? But yeah, with the tires and battery option, it might barely be worth it.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode