Versys type bike perfect for the real world - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Versys suited for the real world

Since 2007 the police have had a new law to apprehend motorcyclists in my province. "The Stunt Driving" law means driving 50KPH/30MPH over the posted limit. The really serious part are the penalties. Loss of license for up to 2 years on first conviction (1 year I think is the norm) and 10 years on a second conviction, up to $10,000 fine, motorcycle impounded and license suspension for one week, on apprehension. DUI insurance rates and probationary license if you ever return to driving.

This pretty much rules out the "canyon carving" type of sport riding or higher speeds sport bikes are marketed for unless you go to the track. At sub stunt driving speeds a Versys has not reached it's performance limitations and just as capable as a super sport litre bike, but without the torture rack ergonomics. Compared to a cruiser, the agility and handling of the Versys is far superior for city and back road riding. The longer travel suspension is better on rough pavement on frost heaved local back roads too.

I think if people actually thought about the type of riding they do, versus the type of riding they imagine doing more people would buy this bike, or a similar type, and less people would buy dedicated sport bikes or cruisers. Nothing against sport bikes or cruisers, I just don't think they are as practical a bike for the street though.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here in B.C. the "Street racing" act goes into effect when you are caught going 40km over the limit. They impound your vehicle on the spot and leave you on the side of the road to find your own way home. Plus all the other things Twowheels also talked about.
I'm sure if everyone spent hours thinking about exactly what type of bike was the best fit for their riding, it would change the face of many bikes you pass on the road. However, not too many young riders want to be seen dead on a touring bike, or older riders really enjoy being slumped over a crotch rocket for hours on end. You find a bike that looks good, and as long as it isn't totally wrong for how you will ride, (and can afford it!!) you buy that bike!! After a few years, or less, you spot a different bike that grabs your attention, and so on and so on.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
Here in B.C. the "Street racing" act goes into effect when you are caught going 40km over the limit. They impound your vehicle on the spot and leave you on the side of the road to find your own way home. Plus all the other things Twowheels also talked about.
I'm sure if everyone spent hours thinking about exactly what type of bike was the best fit for their riding, it would change the face of many bikes you pass on the road. However, not too many young riders want to be seen dead on a touring bike, or older riders really enjoy being slumped over a crotch rocket for hours on end. You find a bike that looks good, and as long as it isn't totally wrong for how you will ride, (and can afford it!!) you buy that bike!! After a few years, or less, you spot a different bike that grabs your attention, and so on and so on.....
And that's why I sold my SV1000S and got the Versys....and haven't regretted it even one moment.

Lovin every minute of it!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 AM

Garage
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 AM

What if I told you I still go fast on my Versys?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
If we had same rules here then my Ninja 1000 would be gone or would be investing in a good radar detector plus would be using the versys a lot more but it can still go way over the open speed limit of 100kph. 40kph above instant loss of licence for a month and you will once you go to court lose it for 3 months through demerit points.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, speed limits should be banned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah, speed limits should be banned.
Right on mate
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Yep, my V is my sensible ride . . . I ride it twice as much as my Hooligan SM . . . Or, my off road Adventure. It has surprising power for a 650 and does well on the highway with a touring windshield and tall Baldwin seat . . . 19" front wheel & spokes smooths out the bumps . . . Really don't need the other bikes . . . The V is probaby the best value in the Bike market.

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Mcmann,

Who made your touring screen?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM

http://parabellum.com/PARABELLUM-Rep...09-P73C13.aspx

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode