Tire pump for the Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire pump for the Versys?

I just had to shell out A DOLLAR for maybe a minutes worth of compressed air at a gas station, can you say highway robbery?

My front tire felt squishy, so before I left home for work I checked it and it was at around 35 psi. The max psi on the side of the stock tire says 42, so I felt compelled to top it off before my trek home. 4 FREAKIN' QUARTERS for not enough time to fill up both tires with moisture laden air, with a hose that almost wouldn't fit on to the valve stem by the time I got the thing around the brake disc.

Is there a good manual type pump to carry on the V? I haven't put a 12v socket on it yet, and I may not, so something manual, and small would be ideal to keep from lining the pockets of whoever administers these air/water slot machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 PM

I recommend the Slime Power Sport inflator. Works great off of the Versys battery... you don't need a 12v receptacle, just the clips to the battery terminals. This pump fits under the seat, works great as long as you obey the warnings and don't let it run too long, and will actually seat the bead if you hand-change the tires.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 PM

About 10 bucks from ACE
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...629367.1259034
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Pump.jpg (24.1 KB, 47 views)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had very good luck with those style foot pumps. They tend to wear out, quite literally break on me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The first link is what i have. (Buy once buy right)

http://www.stopngo.com/tire-mobility-kit-for-cars/

http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I haven't had very good luck with those style foot pumps. They tend to wear out, quite literally break on me.
Made in China. 30 years ago they were fine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
My front tire felt squishy, so before I left home for work I checked it and it was at around 35 psi. The max psi on the side of the stock tire says 42, so I felt compelled to top it off before my trek home.
IMO I would stick with motorcycle manufacturer recommended tire pressures. The recommended tire pressures in the manual are 32psi front and 36psi rear. The number on the sidewall is the MAX pressure the tire can safely handle for seating the bead, not the suggested inflation pressure for best operating performance. If you over inflate you get a smaller contact patch and less grip, especially when leaned, and the bike will feel less secure/planted in turns and more jittery. Under inflation has a negative effect on handling too and can increase tire wear. The normal exceptions to this are airing down for riding off road or using less pressure on a track due to greater tire heat. Normally you want to measure the pressure when the tire is cold (bike has not been ridden recently), as you ride the tire will heat up and the pressure will increase slightly on it's own.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-19-2013 at 12:33 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 AM

Garage
I use this guy from Twisted Throttle. Very compact, I keep it and a string plug kit in my sidecase at all times. The pumps folds up to about the size of a coffee mug.

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I use this guy from Twisted Throttle. Very compact, I keep it and a string plug kit in my sidecase at all times. The pumps folds up to about the size of a coffee mug.

I just checked... It's made in Germany and only 12.50 at the moment.

This review says it retails for $50. If I didn't already have an electric pump, I'd be all over this little guy.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 AM

If space is an issue, pick up one of the compact powered units and remove the plastic housing. Be aware that the metal compressor body will get hot while running because compressing any gas releases heat.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM
MTS

+1 Many great ideas here!

Co2 w/plugs

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
I recommend the Slime Power Sport inflator. Works great off of the Versys battery... you don't need a 12v receptacle, just the clips to the battery terminals. This pump fits under the seat, works great as long as you obey the warnings and don't let it run too long....
X 2 (ACTUALLY - X 3, counting BOTH Vs)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Since this thread is pretty recent, I'm going to hijack it and ask a related question. My bike tire pressures always seem to run down over a few weeks' time, although the car tires never do, so I want a non-portable 120V pump for the garage. I was thinking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-i8000-Goodyear-120-Volt-Inflator/dp/B003XGYDE2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top But I'm wary of the screw-on connection to the valve--seems like the brake discs might get in the way. It's hard enough to use the normal press-on valves at the gas station. Anyone have experience and/or recommendations? I would say $75 is the most I would pay for what is just a convenience. TIA for all suggestions.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSF View Post
I would say $75 is the most I would pay for what is just a convenience.
If you want convenience on the cheap, check out the Craftsman 5-gal air tank. $25 at sears. Find a gas station with free air, fill up the tank, and it'll last you at least a month for just top offs. I have my own compressor at home, but I fill up one of the 5-gal tanks and use that instead. This way, I can top off my tires 2-3psi without having to fire up the big guy, wait for it to pressurize, use a tiny bit of air, then drain it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Since this thread is pretty recent, I'm going to hijack it and ask a related question. My bike tire pressures always seem to run down over a few weeks' time, although the car tires never do, so I want a non-portable 120V pump for the garage. I was thinking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-i8000...pr_product_top But I'm wary of the screw-on connection to the valve--seems like the brake discs might get in the way. It's hard enough to use the normal press-on valves at the gas station. Anyone have experience and/or recommendations? I would say $75 is the most I would pay for what is just a convenience. TIA for all suggestions.

I have 2 compressors for the house. This one by the back door on my work rack...http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html ....Theres a coupon in the harbour freight flyer they send to my house for $39.00

I have a craftsman compressor similar to this one which harbour freight has for $49.00....http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-...MzY2NSJ9%0D%0A

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
But I'm wary of the screw-on connection to the valve--seems like the brake discs might get in the way. It's hard enough to use the normal press-on valves at the gas station.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM

in no way directed at weljo 2001, im just using his links.. this tire inflation issue is always an issue. if you use the cartridge system its a [ what if i need more, and how many do you carry], or with a pump its [ will the pump work when you need it since heat is sometimes an issue with some pumps]..i had a slime pump go out after a total of 15min. use,, kinda like wearing suspenders and a belt at the same time..

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I thought of this too, but the reviews say the connectors are proprietary and standard ones won't fit. Thanks though!

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have 2 compressors for the house. This one by the back door on my work rack...http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html ....Theres a coupon in the harbour freight flyer they send to my house for $39.00

I have a craftsman compressor similar to this one which harbour freight has for $49.00....http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-...MzY2NSJ9%0D%0A
Thanks weljo, I'll check 'em out.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode