Horn Usage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Horn Usage

Recalling what happened to Weljo's buddy who crashed on the PCH, where multitudes of people are close to the road, I have been on the horn more. Many pedestrian do not turn around to check traffic when weaving in/out the crowd - worst when they are in groups.

So is the horn sacred to you ? In India (I visited it a couple of times), not horning is illegal or could get you in trouble. Areas around hospitals, schools, library, etc are exception.

Also how far away is the standard horn effective ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM

I guess it really depends where you are. In Indonesia (where I live) you'd be crazy not to use one. I find that my stock Versys horn does the trick, but you have to think strategically, as in excatly when do you horn. If i read someone's body language (whether bike or pedestrian, or even car) I will give a warning toot a little bit before and then follow up as get closer.

I am not sure but I think when people subconsciously register that the sound is getting closer they react more.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM

I have yet to use the horn on my Versys except once to wake up a driver in front of me in a left turn lane when we got the green arrow and he failed to move.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I was even thinking of wiring the PASS (High Beam) to the horn but the PASS will not activate the horn. Maybe a diode should do the trick. In short :
Horn = Horn & Pass
Pass = Pass

What do you think ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Out here in Cali i use my Stebel Horn all the time. Just today on the way home from taking my crutches to my buddy. Video Below.BTW you should have seen the strange looks i got from people as i went by with a pair of crutches strapped to the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I find a horn is pretty much a necessity to ride in an urban environment. It is the only thing that works to get peoples attention. That said, it took me a while riding the Versys before I developed the muscle memory where I could hit it with my thumb in appropriate situations without really having to think consciously about it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
...Also how far away is the standard horn effective ?
Oh, I'd guess... about a foot and a half...! (I have Stebel/ WOLO horns).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM

I use my Stebel horn judiciously. Sometimes a quick beep-beep to wake someone up when the light turns green, but more often a long angry blast when someone tries to merge into me. That horn has saved my ass more times than I can remember when cagers didn't even bother looking and just start drifting over. All in all, I'd rather overuse my horn than not use it enough..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I find a horn is pretty much a necessity to ride in an urban environment. It is the only thing that works to get peoples attention. That said, it took me a while riding the Versys before I developed the muscle memory where I could hit it with my thumb in appropriate situations without really having to think consciously about it.
+1

I also "cover" my horn button for long stretches of my urban interstate commute. I comes in very handy when a lane switching "cager" tries to switch lanes right into me with out looking. Yes I use my left thumb
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
I was even thinking of wiring the PASS (High Beam) to the horn but the PASS will not activate the horn. Maybe a diode should do the trick. In short :
Horn = Horn & Pass
Pass = Pass

What do you think ?
Hmm, I actually have developed and emergency reflex/muscle memory to squeeze the pass light and the horn button together when something insane happens (every day in Indonesia).

Dunno about rewiring, sounds a hassle when you could just learn a new reflex?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just got home from a business trip to California. Flew into LA and took the 405 to the 101 to Port Hueneme. Then took the PCH back to LA.

I think I am changing my opinion regarding loud pipes for specific cases. I think if you are going to split lanes on the interstate that loud pipes do alert the drivers that a bike is nearby and might be splitting lanes. I did use that audible cue to not only keep in my lane, but to keep in the part of my lane I was currently in until I could figure out where the bike was.

I will say that if I lived near LA, I would find another place to live. LOL! Wouldn't want to deal with that traffic on a daily basis.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
I guess it really depends where you are. In Indonesia (where I live) you'd be crazy not to use one. I find that my stock Versys horn does the trick, but you have to think strategically, as in excatly when do you horn. If i read someone's body language (whether bike or pedestrian, or even car) I will give a warning toot a little bit before and then follow up as get closer.

I am not sure but I think when people subconsciously register that the sound is getting closer they react more.
Here in NJ, I do not hesitate at all to use my stock horn. Whenever I feel cagers are too close or when I am passing them and sitll within their blind spot, I honk, I should say beep, till I see that they look at their side view mirror and see me or look at me directly.

Given how NJ drivers are (sad to say I am one of them!) at times turning or changing lanes abruptly without signaling, on the cell phones or other distractions, I've been more attentive than ever, and my left thumb at horn-ready position when needed.

Anything to be heard and seen ahead of time... just do it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Just got home from a business trip to California. Flew into LA and took the 405 to the 101 to Port Hueneme. Then took the PCH back to LA.

I think I am changing my opinion regarding loud pipes for specific cases. I think if you are going to split lanes on the interstate that loud pipes do alert the drivers that a bike is nearby and might be splitting lanes. I did use that audible cue to not only keep in my lane, but to keep in the part of my lane I was currently in until I could figure out where the bike was.

I will say that if I lived near LA, I would find another place to live. LOL! Wouldn't want to deal with that traffic on a daily basis.

Welcome to my world. I'll drive the car from 10am-2:30pm Before or after that i'm always on the bike. The 101 is the worst won't take a car if at all possible.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Wow, that guy moved in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode