self cancelling turn signals - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
self cancelling turn signals

Any one added self canceler for turn signals? I am forever forgetting to turn mine off. Guess I'm having too much fun to notice, or the late 60's were not kind! lol Or both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 PM

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

What part # is appropriate for the Versys? It's not listed on the site.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM

since it is timed, what if it goes off and you dont notice before your turn? that almost seems more dangerous!, but i agree, i seldom remember to turn mine off on time
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Any one added self canceler for turn signals? I am forever forgetting to turn mine off. Guess I'm having too much fun to notice, or the late 60's were not kind! lol Or both.
Maybe you are like me and you finally have a bike with those fancy electronic gizmos.

You never forget to put your arm down.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What part # is appropriate for the Versys? It's not listed on the site.
StonedGP,

I ordered in the SM-3 SignalMinder after talking w/ customer service at KisanTech.com

I haven't installed it yet but I kind of like the Running Lights feature for the turn signals.

I may or may not connect to the brake light.

I have already installed the headlight & taillight modulators. It was pretty easy installation.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 AM

I finally get in the habit to turn my signals on and off, and you're telling me I can get self-cancelling ones for the Versys? Shoot...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 AM

I hate leaving my blinkers on, have got into the habit over the years of turning them off while in the turn, just before beginning to power out of curve. Any later and I am too busy to bother till back to cruise.

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

PharmaSYSt, what part # did u use for the tail light modulator? I rode over 700 miles with my brother in northern Michigan this last weekend. He had a taillight modulator. They make you VERY noticeable! It saved me at least once from running into the back of his piece of sh*t Harley. Although it makes you wonder how he ever got that 1950's farm implement ahead of me in the first place. lol
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM

StonedGP,

I believe it was #100HD - it wired in real easy, took about 10 min.

The headlight modulator was #P115W-S its plug & play - I put it in the bottom light
- it only modulates on hi beam, of course. It took more time to get the panel off than to install.

Good Luck,
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
PharmaSYSt, what part # did u use for the tail light modulator? I rode over 700 miles with my brother in northern Michigan this last weekend. He had a taillight modulator. They make you VERY noticeable! It saved me at least once from running into the back of his piece of sh*t Harley. Although it makes you wonder how he ever got that 1950's farm implement ahead of me in the first place. lol
Because you were kind enough to let him feel the glory of what it feels like being out front for once and then you overtook him, right?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

He was only there by the grace of the Versys gods. Hell, he's got a 1200cc engine with "Screaming Eagle" performance pipes and carb. I smoked him on a regular basis. However, he got me with top gear roll on's. Other than that....see yah. Especially when the road got twisty.
BTW...the part # for the tail light modulator is 20wd and SM-3 for turn signal cancelers. Just ordered them...woo hoo! I love to farkle.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
He was only there by the grace of the Versys gods. Hell, he's got a 1200cc engine with "Screaming Eagle" performance pipes and carb. I smoked him on a regular basis. However, he got me with top gear roll on's. Other than that....see yah. Especially when the road got twisty.
BTW...the part # for the tail light modulator is 20wd and SM-3 for turn signal cancelers. Just ordered them...woo hoo! I love to farkle.
Because of the LED taillight I had to use the 100HD tailBlazer modulator on the Versys and had to wire it in.

On a previous bike I used the 20WD to just replace the bulb. It was easier to deal with - but it was my 1st bike and I disassembled the taillight then found out I could just twist & pull the bulb out from under the fender. A mechanic/electrician I'm not.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 PM

I got this one:

http://www.customdynamics.com/led_br...ght_strobe.htm

REALLY gets attention...3 sets of strobes followed by solid on, then repeats.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah you're right....The lady gave me the wrong info to order...i'll call them and change to the 100hd tailblazer. She said she looked the OEM part # on a microfiche and cross referenced it. Damn..hope they didn't ship it yet.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Just as a follow up....i installed the self cancelling turn signals (SM-3) and the tail light modulators (100hd). Both work great and were very easy to install. It's fun to watch the front end dive of the dumass, cell phone using twits in cars that are not ready for the inensity of the tail lights. Very noticable! All bikes should have them stock.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 PM

I don't like systems that automatically switch the turn indicators off, traffic conditions are not always predictable, and there can be situations when you need to have indicators running a little longer. Motorbikers are always disadvantaged in visibility, they don't need additional difficulties...

IMHO, a simple acoustic indicator should be the best solution (not rocket science, I know), leaving to the driver the decision to switch the indicators off.

DeepVoid
My blog:
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 PM

I agree on the audio alert. Cars and scooters both have an audio alert when the signal is on. I haven't heard of a motorcycle that comes with one. Why not? It would be easy to shunt if the rider didn't like it. I've been meaning to add something like that my bike. I had the self-cancelling signals on my old bike and they worked ok. I don't have them on the Versys and have gotten in the habit of punching the cancel button on every turn. The problem is if you don't cancel them - then you can cause confusion and irritation for other road users.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

The self cancelers have a 10, 20 or 30 sec interval that sets with dip switches.
BTW...I can't stress enough how we should all have the tail light modulators. I seen how noticeable they are this weekend while I was riding my son's XL. They get your attention!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Taillight modulators are good option. You can also flash your brake lights as well. After a stop, I do a mirror check (a good thing with or without the modulator) and if I see someone approaching, I'll flash my brake lights. Usually, gets their attention - especially with the V's nice LED brake lights. When I had my modulator on the old bike - I still did this. Because the flashing only occurs on the first press of the brake. If a car approaches a few seconds later and wasn't around the for the light show - you'd have to release/reapply the brake and give them a show again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode