Refuelling While Sitting On Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Refuelling While Sitting On Bike

I tried to search the mentioned topic but couldn't find it.
I know it's a safety violation but to have fuel to the brim, the bike has to be upright and tilting/straightening the handle (standing beside the bike) while holding the fuel hose is no small tasks, especially with a loaded bike.

So my question to you guys/gals, do you do it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No. Never. I'd prefer not to have a crotch full of gasoline.
I've never stood any bike I've owned up straight to fill. I've always filled on the sidestand. I don't see any reason to try and stand it up straight to get in a bit more gas.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 PM

I sit in the saddle while on the kickstand to fill.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I usually remain on the seat to fill up, but I can fill it more if it's on the sidestand as I stand beside it.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I sit on the bike holding it straight up and get every drop i can into it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Garage
Always stay sitting on the bike holding it up straight. I keep watching the gas as I fill, so I know when to stop pumping.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Stand beside the bike (obviously on the kickstand side) and then balance it upright while I fill the tank. I want as much fuel as possible in the tank.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Kickstand fill-up for me.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM

I have always filled up sitting on the bike. If I'm going to continue riding a long way after fill-up or parking the bike for a week or more, I like to get the gas nearly to the top of the filler neck.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 PM

Kickstand fill-up with the front wheel turned pretty much straight ahead. Wouldn't want to be sitting on the bike when some idiot backs into you or bumps you from behind. Much better to be on the side and ready to step out of the way of any incoming....

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

So it's a common practise (though not favored) everywhere, to be on the bike. The side stand is a given of course, in case you need to leave the bike in a hurry

I thought I was the odd one out as it's rather difficult to dismount with a loaded bike and make the unforced error of tipping the bike over in front of a station full of onlookers.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 PM

Having seen one rider seriously burned when gas slopped on to the hot exhaust while he was on the bike; I stopped fueling while seated a long time ago. This incident was while fueling from a can on a dirt bike but the potential hazard is there.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 PM

I get off the bike and let the bike on the sidesttand while filling up, and i usually fill it up to the neck of the hole so when i ride the bike upright, there is some little air space just below the lock cap. The few centi-litres of extra fuel filling up while sitting upright on the bike makes no difference or concern to me.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Not contending with what Kimel said, I think most gasoline related fire is due to static discharge over gasoline fumes. Our gloves / clothings / bike seats, if made from cotton/plastic are great static generators. In the case of the off-roader, the non-standard jerry cans made from plastics are culprits in static discharges and this is the greater factor over heated exhaust pipes.

FYI, in my younger days working on bikes and using gasoline as a cleaning agent, I can throw a light match or cigarrette butt into a pan of gasoline and the match/ciggy died off. It's the gasoline fumes that ignites but not in liquid form.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Ive always filled up with bike on kick stand but its a good excuse to give my butt a rest and usually I need to also go to the loo for the standard middle age pee!
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Garage
How much extra fuel do you get into the tank by straightening it upright as opposed to leaving it on the side stand??

'09 Versys
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
I tried to search the mentioned topic but couldn't find it.
Refuelling sitting on bike....

I know it's a safety violation but to have fuel to the brim, the bike has to be upright and tilting/straightening the handle (standing beside the bike) while holding the fuel hose is no small tasks, especially with a loaded bike.

So my question to you guys/gals, do you do it ?
Only after lighting a smoke.....
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sit on but let side stand touches ground first to Ground off any Static Current.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 AM

Yep, it's the vapor that gets you. Hot exhaust vaporizes the fuel and whatever sets it off. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his thighs and family jewels. Riding in short pants was acceptable back then.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 AM

Garage
Sidestand fill to the filler neck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode