Gas Mileage test - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas Mileage test

After the damage to the bag yesterday I pulled them both off until I get the parts and fix it. Anyway I had wondered how much the bags and large windshield are hurting my mileage. So I took the Givi shield off and put the factory back on. I did leave the tail truck on as it's more or less not in the air stream being in my "shadow". With the bags NOT sticking out and the large windshield I think my mileage should go up. BUT ya never know.

My average mileage has been right at 52-53 MPG all around. I use a gas card and check mileage and cost when I pay the bill.

I'll post back in a week with the first check.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM

I got excellent mileage (60+ MPG US Gallons) on my trip from Columbus, MS to Nashville, TN a couple months back with my V outfitted as it is now (Trax bags fully loaded, skidplate, crash bars, radiator grill, handguards, and Powerbronze windhsield), although I did have a pretty constant speed of 55-60 MPH.

I'm sure all the metal I've added to the bike has decreased the MPG a little, but the looks are worth it! Every once in a while I'll take off the bags and their mounts (those things are a lot heavier than I thought) and go for a ride. The bike is always a lot more responsive and "flickable" in the corners. I really appreciate the utility of the side bags though and seldom have them off anymore.

My normal MPG ranges anywhere from 40 to 50 depending on how I ride.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

The 1st week of Versys ownership got me 58mpg without bags but with aftermarket 'screen & I was in the "getting to know you" phase with the 'bike so was prolly being cautious..................however, since the honeymoon period ended l have helped the poor gas companies profits by squeezing the throttle more & dropping my mpg's to around 48mpg!!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM

I don't know how you guys do that. Maybe it's because I'm heavy, and tall (wind drag), and do 70+ a lot, or maybe because I've got just over 1700 miles on 'er. But if I granny drive on my regular, not very much city driving route to work, the very best I can get is 44 MPG. If I have to hop on I-20 and hike it up to 80+ I'm lucky to get 130 miles on a tank. I always use premium and am using 15w40 Rotella for the break in period, but I can't seem to eek out more than 160 miles on a tank.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Pretty constant mid to hi-50s for me, EXCEPT on my D2D trip which came in around 48 mpgUS - BIG load on the GREEN HORNET.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 PM

You're wasting money on premium with the designed compression of this engine. I have large 42 liter bags with a Givi screen. With a mixture of highway and backroads, I typically get 50 mpg on the nose.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I don't know how you guys do that. Maybe it's because I'm heavy, and tall (wind drag), and do 70+ a lot, or maybe because I've got just over 1700 miles on 'er. But if I granny drive on my regular, not very much city driving route to work, the very best I can get is 44 MPG. If I have to hop on I-20 and hike it up to 80+ I'm lucky to get 130 miles on a tank. I always use premium and am using 15w40 Rotella for the break in period, but I can't seem to eek out more than 160 miles on a tank.
Also tall and ... Let's call it heavy
And also in the mid to the hingh 40's
But I always drive it like I stole it, have the givi V35 all the time, and usually on sencondary road at speed around 45 to 65 miles per hour ... But still, I put gas once every two fill up for my vulcan nomad buddy

LOP
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 AM

I get 50+ pretty consistently on no ethanol premium commuting mostly 55 mph country roads. About 4 mpg less with e10 regular. I'm 325 plus gear. If the right wrist is too Happy mpg drops.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
If the right wrist is too Happy mpg drops.
I'm a lot less likely to go ape on the throttle than when I first started riding, but if one doesn't dip into the bounty of power the V offers at least once in while, what's the point?! I delved into the throttle on the very last leg of my journey home tonight and rediscovered that giant grin of V velocity I so enjoy
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 AM

42-44 mpg for me , but then again , its a question of speed . 150kph (93mph) on freeway will eat into ones pocket . I need to start riding slower
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM

I've got my HT boxes permanently mounted with the right side box always full with tools, rain gear, compressor, cover, etc.. I'm around 190 with pretty much stock everything else. Around town on regular ethanol gas I'm usually getting 49-51. On my trips it's usually a couple of mpg less due to higher speeds.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

Exclamation

The guy l bought the 'bike off was over 300lbs & had a lot of 70mph freeway motoring on his 70mile round trip commute & he got 45mpg...BUT....he did admit to one "fast" trip he did on freeways & side roads (twisties) that he actually got it down to 35mpg!!!!...Beat that anyone!!!

Also, one factor that is not MPG related, but more like $PG is if you look at the price of a gallon (converted from liters) in England, to the cost of a (16% smaller US gallon) then it makes you think that we are very lucky in the USA to have such low prices!!!

How much lower??????Try $5 a gallon lower!!!!!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Everytime I ride and get close to or just over 150 miles my gas gauge shows that I have either 1 or 2 bars left so I fill up and it only takes 3 gallons.....so I guess I have another 2 left. So the V can get 250 miles to a tank? If so that's pretty good. I'll have to bring a gallon of gas with me one day and run it dry to test it out.

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
Everytime I ride and get close to or just over 150 miles my gas gauge shows that I have either 1 or 2 bars left so I fill up and it only takes 3 gallons.....so I guess I have another 2 left. So the V can get 250 miles to a tank? If so that's pretty good. I'll have to bring a gallon of gas with me one day and run it dry to test it out.

Choppastyle
DON'T run it dry - VERY bad for the fuel pump!

Instead, check the owners manual: last 'bar' indicates 5L fuel left; flashing 'bar' and "FUEL" - shows 3.5L left.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post

Choppastyle

I usually gas up around the 225 to 240 mile mark.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Mine varies hugely on load and what type of riding. City mileage I'm looking at low 40s. Highway almost 60 mpg at 75mph. I do have it geared down to 43 rear tooth though..

Versys fuelly
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM

66 Versys 650's on Fuelly.com: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kaw...20650%20versys

Eyeballing says the mean Average MPG is 47. See for yourself!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM

I use my V mostly for commuting in the city, with the occasional highway or backcountry road thrown in. Last few fill ups have been:

35.1mpg
40.6 mpg
33.5 mpg
42 mpg
43.9 mpg

I definitely run heavy on the throttle from stoplights in order to get ahead of traffic, so the higher MPG tanks have been from longer rides.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom shamrock View Post
42-44 mpg for me , but then again , its a question of speed . 150kph (93mph) on freeway will eat into ones pocket . I need to start riding slower

Why am I not getting better mpg, oh guess I am traveling almost 100 mph! LOL

I get around 50+ but better on trips and less in town because I love to really hit it!

My bad! Love the V!

Best bike I have ever owned!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
...Best bike I have ever owned!
- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode