270+ Miles Today.... 1/2 on V and 1/2 on 883 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
270+ Miles Today.... 1/2 on V and 1/2 on 883

Had a good ride today from San Antonio - Bandera - Leakey - Junction - Fredericksburg - Luckenbach - Blanco - Back to San Antonio.

My buddy brought out his 883 with Mini Apes and Vance and Hines Pipes......we ended up swapping bikes halfway through. Bike was rough, windy, uncomfortable......but it did have that sound . In Luckenbach I ended up talking to someone who told me the 1200 Sportster would have made a huge difference....but I honestly don't see it. Without a windshield you can't go over 85 comfortably with a 883 or 1200. No difference IMO. The 883 would be a perfect Bar Hopper, but that's about it.

I think the V may have converted him.....he loved it. We had Scala headsets connected and I remember him telling me I was going too slow (on his bike), then he looked down and realized we were going 90 mph. He was comfortable (on the V) and I was holding on for dear life.

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM

The 1200cc HD engine puts out almost the exact same HP as the 650cc engine in the Versys. The 883 is more similar to the Ninja 300 in power output due to the technology of pushrods vs DOHC, twin valves vs quad valves, and a 5000 RPM redline on the Harley motor.

Last edited by versys_rider; 08-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM
MTS

Sounds right!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:54 AM
rlj

I have a Sporty Roadster 1200 and installed a National Cycle Fly Screen,

Before the fly screen anything over 55+ would give you the parachute effect. With it, it's like the V with the stock screen on the lowest setting. Definitely need a full face helmet on the sporty when on the interstate.

The Sportster lineup is not a touring bike however it's manageable. As a barhopped, I love it. Riding around town and short jaunts it's what I pull out of the garage.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Choppastyle, your comparison is not a fair assessment. Pull the front fairing off your Versys and then write your comparison. Or put a windshield on the Sportster with the same level of wind protection and then write your comparison.

I consider my mean streak riding in the raw. Would be the same on a retro triumph Bonneville. Great for local riding on the backroads. The concours is at the other end of the spectrum. No sense of movement, smooth, quiet, and amazing wind protection. Not so fun on the little backroads around my place.

They all bring something different to the riding experience, and if you can only have one bike, you have to determine the type of riding you do the most and find the bike that compromises the least.

The Versys is one bike that can do a lot of things for a solo rider.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Choppastyle, your comparison is not a fair assessment. Pull the front fairing off your Versys and then write your comparison. Or put a windshield on the Sportster with the same level of wind protection and then write your comparison.
That makes no sence. The V comes with a shield and the HD does not. So thats how you test them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
That makes no sence. The V comes with a shield and the HD does not. So thats how you test them.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
Had a good ride today from San Antonio - Bandera - Leakey - Junction - Fredericksburg - Luckenbach - Blanco - Back to San Antonio.
Very nice ride - a favorite of mine - even at speeds less than 85.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Not Really Comparing Them

I wasn't even really comparing them.....just reporting on the experience from both.

Sunday I got to ride a Thruxton 900 for about 100 miles.....very sturdy, solid bike.......riding position is pretty bad but if looks could kill, the Thruxton is the bike to do that.

Arion - you live in SA? Let's ride.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.

Last edited by Choppastyle; 08-12-2013 at 11:50 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM

I have both and your impression is the same as mine. My 883 Iron is best for around town jaunts. I love the sound and the crudeness of it.

My Versys is much better suited for long distances and commutes with it's baggage.

I like both and each one has it's own niche. Variety is the spic of life, afterall.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwhnd View Post
I agree somewhat. The HD comes with a shield if you have the dealer install it at delivery.

Without a windshield he couldn't go over 85 comfortably, and then called it a bar hopper. Put a windshield on it and you can go over 85 comfortably. Put a large enough windshield on it and you probably have more protection the the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 08-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I agree somewhat. The HD comes with a shield if you have the dealer install it at delivery.

Without a windshield he couldn't go over 85 comfortably, and then called it a bar hopper. Put a windshield on it and you can go over 85 comfortably. Put a large enough windshield on it and you probably have more protection the the Versys.
One thing about HD's, they are pretty much like Jeep Wranglers, which I also have. They are built to be modified with aftermarket parts. Helluva marketing plan to increase revenue for the manufacturer as well as many other vendors. Pretty much all bikes have aftermarket accessories however when it come to HD's the choices are endless. It's part of the fun.

I'm mot a HD fanatic nor am I a basher. I like my sporty roadster a lot and will probably never sell it, just like my Versys. All my bikes serve a purpose for me.

With that said, if I had to choose only one bike out of my current inventory, I'd choose the V as it does most everything well, in-town riding, short trips and touring.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode