Test ride on Triumph Trophy 1300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Test ride on Triumph Trophy 1300

Rode a friend's new Trophy 1300. First impressions:

Heavy. As in a struggle to back out of his garage. As in unwieldy feeling at slow speeds. As in "there better not be any oil where I put my foot down at this stop, I'd never be able to pick the sucker up".

Wide. As in fat arsed, wide handlebar, I'll never fit through that space, wide. Sucks in town traffic.

Reminded me of all the reasons I sold my Concours. Great for cross country hauls, but really, that is it's only purpose.

He has owned it for about two months. Has about 1600 km on it. I've put 3000 km on my V in that time. Expensive driveway jewellery, expensive to buy, insure and fuel. I'll keep my V.

Great radio 'tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Biggest, Fattest, Heaviest bike I ever owned was a Suzuki C50. Small bikes do it for me. I also do not take long trips (more then a few hours max) on a bike.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Had a ride yesterday on my V, buddy on his Trophy. At one point I was stopped at a stop sign on a slight downhill slope. Buddy pulls up beside me, I look over and hear "oh f*ck" as he drops the bike (towards me!). He's a big guy and took the brunt of the fall, soft landing with no apparent damage. It was unbelievably hard for the two of us to lift the bike. He told me that he had trapped his left boot (new) between shifter and foot peg.

Did I mention that it is a heavy bike? I'll keep my V.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Biggest, Fattest, Heaviest bike I ever owned was a Suzuki C50. Small bikes do it for me. I also do not take long trips (more then a few hours max) on a bike.
+1 Capn! Although I do take the occasional trip!

I just can't get into the big heavy bikes. In fact the V is right at the top of lbs for my preference.

KLX 250 was one of the best bikes ever made! LOL

Of course now it is way behind the new tech machines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post

Did I mention that it is a heavy bike? I'll keep my V.
Weight is part of what keeps me looking at alternatives to on my ST1300 and the new Trophy didn't feel light. The RT does feel light but I've never been a fan of the boxer...perhaps the new liquid cooled version will change that, although there's little you can do to quell the inherent nature of a flat twin. The F800 is along the right lines but reviews of the motor in that bike always reference the annoying vibration. I bet that new Yamaha triple in a touring chassis (FJR900) would address my need...c'mon Yamaha!

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't mind big heavy bikes, but then again I have a lot of riding experience in years and miles. I big heavy bike feels planted and doesn't get blown around. Practice and skill allow you to handle it at parking lot speeds and still only put one foot down at stops.
Different bikes for different jobs. Wouldn't want one if all my riding was in the city, and wouldn't want to tour on my 250 dual sports.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 AM

Garage
I test rode a Trophy at a demo day on Saturday and was far from impressed, for the same price (in Australia) as the GTR1400 it is chalk and cheese, the GTR is so much more refined, quieter and better performing there is just no comparison.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I don't mind big heavy bikes, but then again I have a lot of riding experience in years and miles.
I have ridden big bikes as well. My dislike does not come from lack of experience or miles.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
... it is chalk and cheese ...
Had to consult my slang dictionary for that phrase. Ideal application for it! I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it myself.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Had to consult my slang dictionary for that phrase. Ideal application for it! I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it myself.
Now I had to go look it up!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Now I had to go look it up!
Like chalk and cheese: similar in appearance but unlike otherwise. The term appears to come from the fact that the surface of some cheeses looks similar to chalk, even though in substance cheese is soft while chalk is hard.

(Chalk is also not nearly so good an accompaniment to ham in a sandwich.)

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Like chalk and cheese: similar in appearance but unlike otherwise. The term appears to come from the fact that the surface of some cheeses looks similar to chalk, even though in substance cheese is soft while chalk is hard.

(Chalk is also not nearly so good an accompaniment to ham in a sandwich.)
...AND - cheese does NOT write well on blackboards...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...AND - cheese does NOT write well on blackboards...!
...although canned CheezWiz might.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Weight is part of what keeps me looking at alternatives to on my ST1300 and the new Trophy didn't feel light. The RT does feel light but I've never been a fan of the boxer...perhaps the new liquid cooled version will change that, although there's little you can do to quell the inherent nature of a flat twin. The F800 is along the right lines but reviews of the motor in that bike always reference the annoying vibration. I bet that new Yamaha triple in a touring chassis (FJR900) would address my need...c'mon Yamaha!
Triumph Tiger 800 is a great bike. Better than the BMW IMO. A 21inch front wheel, while good off road, is less than ideal for pavement though.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM

The Trophy is not a 1300 it is a 1215 triple. Same engine as the Tiger Explorer (TEX). A deer incident totaled the new TEX I got in Feb. When I was replacing it I took a hard look at the Trophy. Its a big bike for big rides. However, it was the sticker price and the fact that there are way to many really good dirt roads to explore in Colorado tat kept me away from it. I got another TEX (this one in black). The Versys is a great bike and I admit sometimes I miss the light weight and the nimble ride. However, after booking some decent miles in a 138 HP, 89 lbs torque 1,215 triple, I cant go back to the 650 twin. The Versys just dont cut it for me anymore.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM

I sold my Buell to get the Versys. I loved the power and torque of the Buell BUT hated that it so hot with that big motor in a small frame. I don't mind the trade off of less power for a bike that can I enjoy without cooking my tush!

I rode a Goldwing of a friend last time was in Florida for a couple of days. Heavy as a car BUT on the SuperSlab it was great. Around town it was a handful but not as bad as I had imaged it would be. BUT you have to think way ahead of where you're go so as NOT to box yourself in.

I find I seem to like mid weight bikes best 450-850 is a good range to me. If I did more hi-way riding I'd likely want a bigger bike.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to qualify this thread I started: I have owned 2 Concours. They were good for the riding I did while I owned them, with limitations. I rode to both coasts in Canada plus most States west of the Mississippi. I put 125000 km on one of them in about two years.

They were fine on the open road but had the too heavy/ too wide syndrome in any urban situation. There is no getting around it. Yes, I could ride slowly, one foot down at stops etc but doesn't mean that I enjoyed doing so. Even parking in cities was a pain compared to the V. I hated riding the damn things in stop and go city/town. The heat at a stop in hot weather was over the top.

My V beats the hell out of any heavy/wide bike in city, town and also twisty roads. For the open road, unlimited touring etc I'd take the Connie with the great weather protection and cargo capacity, but I don't have the luxury of unlimited touring any more.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
Triumph Tiger 800 is a great bike. Better than the BMW IMO. A 21inch front wheel, while good off road, is less than ideal for pavement though.
There's a road version of the Tiger 800 with 19/17 wheels. Like most of the bikes in this class, it's tall for me.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
There's a road version of the Tiger 800 with 19/17 wheels. Like most of the bikes in this class, it's tall for me.
...and a LOT of guys are having constant issues w/ them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've never been a fan of the boxer...perhaps the new liquid cooled version will change that
I don't understand how air cooled 4 stroke engines still exist. Hell, some people even go so far as to liquid cool their computers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode