can't decide - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
can't decide

Hi all, I am a green rider, practicing on a rebel. Will be taking the mfs in June. Need some input from different riders. I like the versys and all I have read on it. I'm 5'10" 200 and loosing. I need to know how much difference in handling between versys and c50 boulevard. I am looking for a safer and more defensive ride. What is the difference between riding high, verses riding low on a bike? How does it feel? Gas milage is better on the Versys, thats a plus. Price is the same. I won't be the type to push the envelope, just want to be safe but defensive. Thanks! I will Let you know my decision later this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM

versys

the answer is EASY!!!....get the Versys......cruisers are BORING!!!!!!!!........the Versys provides an exilarating fun ride...plus reliable and comfortable...great handling...u won't regret it...see my happy face in photo
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM

The difference in handling will be night and day. The C50 is like a bus and the Versys is like a sport bike...The taller ride gives you better traffic awareness and vision. I have been riding for 40 years and have owned every kind of bike you can imagine. I just picked up the Versys Thursday and hit the mountains yesterday. It's an excellent bike that you can grow with as your skills grow. You won't be disappointed.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with these guys, the Versys is a more upright riding position. It gives you a better view around you. Of course, safer really depends more on you & the way you ride, but I would bet the Versys is more fun!!

Good luck either way you go...

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I thougt you would say that, my wife likes the harley look, but I would like to ride, not sit and cruise. she has her rebel so she wants me to get what I like. wheeoo! I've grown up driving sports cars, so I was never impressed with the big block muscle cars anyway. I guess that is why I am leaning towards the Versys.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:39 PM

thats funny you say that because i just rode a c50 today for the first time, and honestly, if it had a backrest, i would have fallen asleep EXCEPT: it was a lot of work gettin her rollin HUGE! very unstable at low speed, and handled like a turd. i would never ever again trade a ride on my versys for it!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Yea I figure with little experience and a 2 wheel tank I may end up in the ditch AGAIN! Been there done that. No one told me about the mfs course either. Ten years later, I am wiser and learn from my mistakes.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:13 AM

A novice rider would be better off on a standard/dual sport like the Versys, than most cruisers. First, compare the weights. Secondly, compare the footpeg position. I would think that the riding position would be much more accommodating to you on the Versys than a cruiser, sitting on your tail bone with your legs splayed out in front of you on the cruiser doesn't make for good handling, or easy manipulating at slow speeds.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 PM

The riding high thing is not really the case on the Versys it looks like it sits much higher than it does. Hitting some twisties on it never did I feel out of position.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 PM

You will find the Versys much easier to handle more comfortable and 10 times the fun factor. In order for control and safe handling you need you feet straight down or slightly to the rear and knees in the tank. A cruiser is very awkward. I have owned many of them but there is no comparison in handling, ride quality, safety and fun.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 PM

The Rebel is a standard posing as a cruiser. The seating and peg position are closer to the Versys's than the C50's. We just traded the wifes Rebel for a 500 Vulcan. Here is the best forum I have found for the Rebel.

For me standard seating gives better control than cruiser or sport bike seating. I can easily rise up off the seat for obstacles, it is easily flicked and slow speed stability is good. Bear in mind I came off a KZ650, stability is relative, it's no Rebel.
It does carry a lot of it's weight high, once it starts down you will not stop it easily like you can the Rebel.
I'm not comfortable advising the V as a starter bike. It is a great bike and I wouldn't have any other but it's more of an intermediate ride.
The MSF and practice with the Rebel could have you ready in no time.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 AM

I can't agree more with these guys, as a green less-than-one-month rider. The trip back from the coast today was FANTASTIC, and I even got the hard-core Harley riders to stare at the bike like "what was that?"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouble View Post
Here is the best forum I have found for the Rebel.

For me standard seating gives better control than cruiser or sport bike seating. I can easily rise up off the seat for obstacles, it is easily flicked and slow speed stability is good. Bear in mind I came off a KZ650, stability is relative, it's no Rebel.
It does carry a lot of it's weight high, once it starts down you will not stop it easily like you can the Rebel.
I'm not comfortable advising the V as a starter bike. It is a great bike and I wouldn't have any other but it's more of an intermediate ride.
The MSF and practice with the Rebel could have you ready in no time.

Dan
Dan! Funny I should see you here! Well, not really, since you are the one who sent me the link. LOL

My Reb has almost gone down a few times and I have no problem stopping it, but the Versys? probably not. But then again, not so many sparkly things on the VerSys to muck up.

I found that as long as I keep my head up & look where I want to go, slow speed maneuvering with the Rebel is easy. I can only imagine it is different on the Versys.

We shall see. Maybe by the end of the month I will be able to give a good comparison.

-Ken
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofillusion View Post
... she has her rebel so she wants me to get what I like. ...
If you do get the Versys, never let her ride your bike. Otherwise, you'll be riding a rebel.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I found a great deal on a vulcan 500 rides great.When the wife is ready to move up to the vulcan, I will move up to Versys.I,ll be back!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Taking the MSF will help you decide which way to go. When you go through those drills like the 'high-speed' curve - you'll get addicted to the thrill of powering through a curve or the manueverability of a standard. Cruisers are just that - cruising. If that is all you want to do with a motorcycle, plod along and barely tip it either left or right then a cruiser is for you.

I just took my Advanced Riders Course yesterday - you use your own bike for that. This rider had a cruiser with the highway boards and they were barely 3-4 inches off the ground. She said not once since she owned that bike has she ever scraped those highway boards. I'm thinking to myself, 'Geez, you don't lean that bike very much'. To me, that's the fun part - to see how much of the rubber on the side of my tires I can use up.

In the end - it doesn't matter what you ride - as long as you ride. You'll have your fun either way.

Last edited by Ocean; 06-09-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode