New DIY soft saddlebag supports - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chiquito
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New DIY soft saddlebag supports

I have the sw-motech alu-rack and givi monokey plate (was NOT a fan of the quick release pins, so replaced with stainless bolts and cap nuts) with a V46.

For multiple overnighters, though, I wanted some more storage. This forum was a great help with ideas for DIY supports for soft bags. I have some givi silver something-or-others (forgot model number), and I made these supports out of 1/2" steel with nothing more than some MAPP gas, a bit of railroad track as an anvil, a pipe for bending around, and a 2lb sledge.

These are yet to be painted, but this was my first fitting to make sure the support was in the right place. Flat black paint coming soon.

Here is the right side support:

Here is the whole luggage solution:

And here is the whole bike:

Question#1 - I just threw the bags over the top of the seat for the photo, but does anyone have luck getting such velcro straps underneath the seat?

Question#2 - should I apply automobile primer to the raw steel before I paint?
rsherman and oliverider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
You can get the straps under the seat but you have to work at it to get the seat to latch.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Good work. Something I love about the V is the mufler downthere. It let you have saddle bags/side cases tight to the bike, with muflers up and high you end with one side of the racks further away from the bike (I like things simetric)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Good work. Some etch primer and Black Satin paint is the way to go. Black Satin matches the frame better and adds a bit of class.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I wish to make homemade soft saddlebag holder so bags don't move.
It should look like on picture, it look perfect for soft saddlebags.
Only i wish to make that with aluminum rod 8 mm. (I can also use 10mm for extra safety)
What you think will aluminum hold, and not break on road?
I will weld aluminum with torch, and drill hole and add screw and bolt glue for extra strength, on connecting places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holder.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	164107  

Last edited by kardan; 06-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Aluminum weld cant handle vibration and breaks . better to go for MS and paint it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSMA View Post
Good work. Something I love about the V is the muffler down there....
When I helped "GraemeD" set-up his new-to-him V1000 (a '12 I think) a few days back, I was surprised how MUCH the muffler (right-side) intruded on the area where you would have to work to adjust the chain, but we did NOT have to adjust it, so weljo can chime in on whether it's a challenge or not.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 AM

So steel should be better for this.

I will try to make 1 side with aluminum for testing, when I ride to work and something like that without anything on them.
I think that aluminum will survive If I on place where are weld I drill hole, cut the thread, and then add screw in 12.9 quality. 100% that screw will survive, and hold aluminum rods on place. (picture how I will try to do this)
Funny part is that probably screws will cost more than aluminum rod haha.
I can make this from aluminum so I have pattern for steel. If that look nice I can make whole 2D and place here for other members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminij.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	164147  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardan View Post

I will try to make 1 side with aluminum for testing, when I ride to work and something like that without anything on them.
I think that aluminum will survive If I on place where are weld I drill hole, cut the thread, and then add screw in 12.9 quality. 100% that screw will survive, and hold aluminum rods on place. (picture how I will try to do this)
I can make this from aluminum so I have pattern for steel. If that look nice I can make whole 2D and place here for other members.
I would think a soft steel would be better so you can bend it in a pipe bender to get some radius bends that would look nice. You figure it isn't taking much weight. just keeping the bags from flopping into the wheels.
kardan likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
Quote:

This is what I had on my '07 Ninja 650R.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi...r6f-er6n-06-08

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
This is what I had on my '07 Ninja 650R.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi...r6f-er6n-06-08
It is great, little steel, but excellent support for soft bag.
I find few saddlebag support, but it is expensive for 1 metere of steel which they spend on that.
I try to find for my Versys 2018 anthying but everthing is expensive to me. (or they don't send to my country, or import will cost fortune.)
Why not use imagination and create unique saddlebag support for 70% less money, or more.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
It is great, little steel, but excellent support for soft bag.
I find few saddlebag support, but it is expensive for 1 metere of steel which they spend on that.
I try to find for my Versys 2018 anthying but everthing is expensive to me. (or they don't send to my country, or import will cost fortune.)
Why not use imagination and create unique saddlebag support for 70% less money, or more.
Go for it, which is why I sent the link to give you some inspiration.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode