Was asked to compare - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was asked to compare

Stopped by, and rode with a friend this past weekend. He asked a very simple question which stumped me for a minute. I also currently own a 2007 Honda VTX 1800C, and he wanted my opinion on which bike (the VTX or the Versys) was more comfortable to ride long distance. I had to be honest, and told him that although the seating position on the Versys was somewhat more suitable to making body position adjustments while riding, (lifting a cheek, leaning forward or back) I actually find the mammoth cruiser VTX more comfortable when I'm tooling down the highway. Not saying that I wouldn't take the Versys cross country, because it is certainly quite capable to do anything but, if I was striking out tomorrow to do a thousand miles, I'd probably hop on the VTX. It is just so smooth and effortless. I'd have to say of my past bikes though, the best mile muncher was my 1998 VFR800 Interceptor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

I'm with you on the last sentence Rik, the 1998 VFR 800 fix (as it was labeled in the UK) was without doubt the best 'bike on the market at that time, & if Honda hadn't f*ked it all up by introducing the V-Tec (which bombed) & then thought that by slapping a 1200 engine in it would bring back it's loyal followers then the VFR 800 would still be selling & they wouldn't have wasted billions of Yen on technology that wasn't asked for & wasn't necessary!!!

OK, rant over.........take the versys on the trip matey, the gas money you save will pay for some of that Barbeeeeecued/sacrificed meat that awl yoo's Texans seem to like so much!!!

PS, silver was the fastest colour, but l dunno if they let you have that over here!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (9.6 KB, 69 views)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM

Ahhh, but does the big cruiser have a windshield or partial fairing? If going on a thousand mile trip you sure will get beat up if not. When I got back into motorcycling, the bike I chose was the Suzuki Marauder (800cc) cruiser. My first long trip was without a shield... big mistake. It was one of the reasons a year to the day I traded it in on a more suitable bike for LD travel, a pre-owned '94 BMW R1100 RSL.
Now that I'm a little older, The Beemers sport riding position gets uncomfortable for LD travel.
But things are right with the world again. I just had my outfitted Versys on it's first LD trip. It performed well above expectation except for one thing, the tires. And that will be remedied at the end of this riding season with new shoes.
Don't discount the Versys for long trips just yet.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM

On a cruiser is a little tough to stand and ease the butt soreness. I haven't make any long trip in the Versys yet and probably I would miss more torque compared to my cruiser. But IMHO is a tough call.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
... I actually find the mammoth cruiser VTX more comfortable when I'm tooling down the highway...
For me, this section of your comment is key.

Which is more comfy for a trip, a VTX or a Versys? What kind of trip?

I just got back from a six-day trip on the Versys. One day of all slab, two days off the bike, two days of mostly two-lanes, one day of all slab to get home. On the two slab days, I wouldn't have minded the VTX. The other two days, please give me the Versys.

Years ago I did a trip on a VTX1800 for an article I wrote. Comfy. Heavy. No cornering clearance. I scraped the floorboards in every corner. I was beginning to wonder if I could grind them clear off using the asphalt as a grinder. Didn't have quite enough time to do that.

So yeah, "tooling down the highway," VTX is OK. Anything more spirited, give me the Versys (or the VFR, etc., etc.).

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 PM

Cross country give me the 1800cc please with a monster screen. Otherwise give me the Versys.

And as for the VFR.....the 94-97 generation was THE BEST and IMO even more comfortable and perfect than the 98-00....plus the 94-97 had the best look with the jelly bean front lamps....I had a beautiful, wonderful, bone stock, near flawless cherry red 94 with 8k miles that was stolen from my garage in 2002...and then promptly crashed by the thief during a high speed pursuit by the police...bike totaled...guy got thrown into jail....still makes me tear up a bit thinking of that gorgeous 94 VFR.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by SeattleSlammer; 08-05-2013 at 11:49 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I crossed 3 countries on a 7K Km journey and the versys was all

No breakdowns and started each time I pressed the starter button for 14 days.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM

I did a 5600 mile/19 day two-lane jaunt last summer on my Versys - Panama City, FL to Billings, MT and back. At the time I had a cherry 1998 Honda ST1100 to choose from. I chose the V and am glad I did... Sold the ST shortly after my return.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM

You guys aren't messing around with the long trips.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The most miles I've ever done in one day is 800 miles and the only reason I stopped is because I ran out of daylight. That was July 2012 on the Versys with a custom Terry Adcox seat.

Sure the Voyager allows for more riding positions and is my go to bike when the weather turns cooler.

The Concours also is a good distance bike that is a compromise between getting air flow and being protected from the wind.

When the weather gets warm though or the roads get narrow I prefer to be on the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When it starts getting cooler (up here in BC), I put the GREEN HORNET away in my garage, on stands.

Then I fly down to Phoenix, and take BIG RED off its stands, and go ridin'...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode