an H-D ad that's TRUTHFUL! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
an H-D ad that's TRUTHFUL!

Apparently some Buell guys made this up, but it "rings-true"...

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

That's hilarious.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Oh boy! It's been a while since we had a thread bashing HD!

Subscribed!

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Had a business meeting with new partner yesterday, rode my bike. One of their reps asks me what i ride. Versys. Oh! A crotchrocket. And you? HD. Sooo, are u one of the guys that wont wave back? Oh no, i wave, i just dont use all my fingers

Way to set the mood for the meeting ...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Awesome!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 PM

If you've got a bit of time to waste... Reading the best (and longest) HD rant I've ever come across might provide some entertainment. This guy pulls no punches.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Here's a tidbit:

A underlying factor is also stupidity.
Harley Davidson's stupidity, you ask? Hell no. Harley Davidson is about one of the smartest motorcycle manufacturers in the world. The stupidity can be traced right back to YOU, the unwitting public who buys what Milwaukee is selling and Milwaukee is selling only one thing; image. Image with no substance, image at a price. Anyone can ride a Harley, it just takes lots of money and very little brains. How else can you explain paying so much and receiving so little in return?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Funny Stuff

That is a good one. I just sent it to some buddies with HDs.......About 7 months ago I drank the Koolaide and bought and 08' Heritage Softail Classic. Good looking scoot, and it sounded good (but the +'s stopped there). I drank it for 35 days and got rid of it.

After riding one in the Texas Hill Country I came to the conclusion that HDs are good for short trips that are on straight roads (that's if you have the windshield on). No thanks

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Garage
Bwah ha ha ha ha!
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
If you've got a bit of time to waste... Reading the best (and longest) HD rant I've ever come across might provide some entertainment. This guy pulls no punches.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html
I can most relate to this excerpt from your link..

"I really get tired of people coming up to me and saying "You need to get a real bike. You need to ride a Harley, not some damn rice burner!" Most of the people who tell me that don't even own a motorcycle, let alone a Harley! They're just good old boys or girls who have this ignorant notion that no motorcycle in the world is better than a Harley and since I am an American, I should be ashamed to ride anything that isn't American."

Honestly, I have never gotten any more of those comments since I switched to the Versys from 20 years of riding metric cruisers. I guess now that I ride a bike that is not really a crotch rocket, and not really a touring bike, HD folks are at a loss of words on how to criticize me or my ride. Maybe they figure that since I picked such an odd bike they know that I could care less what they think.

Second, my hi vis and full gear probably avoid some criticism aimed my way because when they ride in shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers, they know I would not value any stupid comments they might spew.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM

As a Harley owner (2012 Nightster), I'd like to offer a couple opinions. I love the styling of my bike, it's very elemental it's all engine, with a couple wheels, a small seat and some handlebars. Metrics don't have anything like it, except maybe a Yamaha Bolt (ugly as sin IMHO). I wear full gear, so I guess I'm missing out on that whole "Brotherhood of the bandana thing, haha. All in all, the Nighster is WAY more fun to ride around town. Without a doubt the Versys is better at it, but (probably so good) it's BORING. Most likely I'll keep the Harley longer than I keep the Versys, not because the Harley is better, but because I'll eventually find a bike that does what the Versys does, but better.

While the mock ad IS truthful, it only focuses on the reasons metric riders DON'T ride Harleys. Call it koolaid drinking, sheep mentality, whatever different people like riding different bikes for different reasons, that doesn't make anyone better or worse, just different. I get that a lot of H-D owners look down on Asian and European bike riders, because their bikes are "Better", and that a lot of this animosity comes as a backlash of that "attitude".

I say "ride and let ride", if you're riding I will wave and be friendly to anyone else that is riding, no matter what they are riding or what I am riding.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
I say "ride and let ride", if you're riding I will wave and be friendly to anyone else that is riding, no matter what they are riding or what I am riding.
Amen brother! You sound like one of the good guys! I have several friends that are great guys and gals and are not pushy with the brand. I have another who is. Unfortunately it only takes the few dozen rotten apples to spoil the bunch. Over the years of running into these jerks, it hardens my opinion of the entire brand. Fair? No, but honest.

I have never had a negative encounter or word from an owner of ANY other brand motorcycle. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

Peace & Ride Safe out there!
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Amen brother! You sound like one of the good guys! I have several friends that are great guys and gals and are not pushy with the brand. I have another who is. Unfortunately it only takes the few dozen rotten apples to spoil the bunch. Over the years of running into these jerks, it hardens my opinion of the entire brand. Fair? No, but honest.

I have never had a negative encounter or word from an owner of ANY other brand motorcycle. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

Peace & Ride Safe out there!
Ride and let ride is a sound sentiment. However, it's interesting isn't it? I've found that Harley riders who wear protective gear are more likely to wave than those who ride in their "Harley outfits." Remember the Smothers Brothers? "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy. I see by your outfit that you're a cowboy too. We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys, so get yourself an outfit and be a cowboy too."

The "outfitted" riders seem to be more concerned with macho image than friendliness. It's certainly not universal, but rather common. On the other side of that coin, at least in San Antonio, each Christmas Harley riders come out in droves (along with droves of other motorcyclists) to support a project known as Elf Louise that delivers thousands of Christmas gifts to needy children throughout the city.

That reminds me, years ago I encountered a vest-and-head-rag Harley guy who waved in a very animated manner but it turned out he was blasting through a swarm of Love Bugs (ask a Florida resident) and was in reality rather busy swatting them from his face.

Most riders of other brands tend to wave, although some who are riding a Harley-like cruiser clone seem to be trying to behave like the "outfitted" Harley guys. On occasion I'll also come across a crotch rocket rider who doesn't wave but it's usually a young guy who's in above his head and trying with all his might to keep the bike, and himself, from shooting off into the shrubbery.

BTW, where do the Harley guys get their Kevlar and titanium head rags?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I can most relate to this excerpt from your link..

"I really get tired of people coming up to me and saying "You need to get a real bike. You need to ride a Harley, not some damn rice burner!" Most of the people who tell me that don't even own a motorcycle, let alone a Harley! They're just good old boys or girls who have this ignorant notion that no motorcycle in the world is better than a Harley and since I am an American, I should be ashamed to ride anything that isn't American."
I've heard that a lot too. Usually when I'm riding a sport bike??? As if Harley makes a comparable bike.

My favorite is a guy I work with that has that attitude. Earlier this year, he was set to buy a Breakout CVO, when his mom found out and said "NO!", end of story. This is a 39 year old MAN, with wife, 3 kids, home, cars paid off, the whole 9 yards. Whenever he gives me a hard time about riding the Versys instead of my Harley, I tell him "My mommy wouldn't let me ride my Harley today", the subject usually gets changed.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ride and let ride is a sound sentiment. However, it's interesting isn't it? I've found that Harley riders who wear protective gear are more likely to wave than those who ride in their "Harley outfits."
I don't see any HD riders w/ full gear but your statement has truth to it. Almost always when I pass a rider in full gear and they see my full gear we wave.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I've heard that a lot too. Usually when I'm riding a sport bike??? As if Harley makes a comparable bike.
You have an interesting perspective and opportunity. When you have someone see you on another bike than your HD, you get the same crap about getting a real bike, you can have fun explaining that you own and ride a Nightster. Watch them squirm as they open mouth and insert foot.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
"My mommy wouldn't let me ride my Harley today", the subject usually gets changed.

The ones that drive me nuts are the boneheads who don't even HAVE a bike and tell I have a P888y bike. I point out that my KLR as more miles in a shorter time than TWO of my buds H-D together and it been rock. I also let them know I've been riding for 45 years and will ride WHAT I want WHERE I want WHEN I wants. NOT what some little twit who doesn't even HAVE a bike thinks I should ride.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
The ones that drive me nuts are the boneheads who don't even HAVE a bike and tell I have a P888y bike.
I have a few folks where I work that have wives who will not let them buy a bike... Too Dangerous! They are the first to let me know of every motorcycle wreck within 300 miles. They say stuff like "aren't you worried you might wreck too"?

I think that is their little jab because they don't have permission from their spouse. Permission?? Bwahahahaha...

I was riding before I met my wife and there have been zero doubts that I will continue as long as I feel able to do so safely. 20 Years later, she got her license and bought a bike.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I don't see any HD riders w/ full gear but your statement has truth to it. Almost always when I pass a rider in full gear and they see my full gear we wave.
My neighbor across the street has a 2012 Harley Road Glide CVO that he paid north of $35k for. He wears full gear and we get along very well... To the point of the four of us go out to dinner together and all that stuff. He's the only one I know who wears full High-Viz gear. I get to rag him about his heavy and expensive ride that he shines up at at least a two to one ratio... One hour riding - two hours washing and shining. I make sure he knows how many miles and months have passed since my V's last wash. I tell him about every new scratch I find as a result of my daily use... He must have every Harley Davidson accessory and/or item of clothing there is. He is a true Kool-Aid drinker... But also one of my best neighborhood pals. He takes my ribbings well... even when I bitch at him coming home from work with his radio blasting...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
My neighbor across the street has a 2012 Harley Road Glide CVO that he paid north of $35k for.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 AM

When I mentioned that I was looking to purchase my first bike an old friend pointed out that since I am a long time, and proud, member of a union (NALC) that I ought to buy a Harley because it is American made. I told him that I think HD makes some really fine bikes, especially the newer ones, but they are not only way out of my price range, they don't make anything that is the equivalent of the Versys.
I want something I can ride every day without having to cut the sleeves off all my shirts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode