Big, tall guy on a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Big, tall guy on a Versys?

I finally found a Versys to sit on yesterday and it felt a little smaller than I expected. It seemed smaller than the V-Strom 650 to me.

I'm 6'5" (34" inseam) and about 270, so I'm used to the feeling. But still, I really like the *idea* of the Versys, and the price, so I was hoping it might be what I was looking for.

Any other guys my size making it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM

You can buy a taller seat like a Baldwin tall touring seat (2" taller, cut back 2"):

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawa...ll%20Seats.htm

Motorcycle Maniac

2009 Versys, 2009 DL650, 2013 CB500X ABS

Last edited by mcmann; 08-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
I finally found a Versys to sit on yesterday and it felt a little smaller than I expected. It seemed smaller than the V-Strom 650 to me.

I'm 6'5" (34" inseam) and about 270, so I'm used to the feeling. But still, I really like the *idea* of the Versys, and the price, so I was hoping it might be what I was looking for.

Any other guys my size making it work?
For sure, both "weljo" and "jdrocks" are your size, or bigger....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM

I'm a smaller guy and the V is quite a bit smaller than the Strom. The Strom swallows me whole, too big a bike for me. I lowered the Versys and it fits me like a five fingered rubber!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 PM
djg

6' 3" 200lbs, 34" inseam. Tall Baldwin seat, lowered pegs, and bar risers. Fits me OK now.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

sounds like maybe the V-Strom would be a better fit but you can sort of make the Versys work for a big guy
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 PM

I'm 6'9", about 280. I'm used to having to fold up into/onto everything. The Versys is fine for me. I have everything stock on mine. I do have to fold my legs a bit more than on a KLR 650, but it's comfy to me. I even have sciatica issues, but the Versys is FAR more comfortable than any cage I've ridden in (I'm pretty sure that's what caused the sciatica in the first place, riding too long in vans/trucks for certain jobs) I can ride the V for an hour straight and have semi-normal non iron butt pain, 10 minutes in my Caravan and I'm squealing.

That tall seat looks appealing though. I'm a bit averse to lowering the pegs. I was banking on an inverse curve on my KLR a while back and my steel toe caught on the asphalt...ripped my foot off the peg...scared the doo doo out of me.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM

I've got the same inseam. It works, but my legs are a bit more folded than I'd like. The aforementioned taller seat and/or lowered pegs should help. I'm very close to trying the peg thing.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM

You sound about like the guy who came and sat on / test drove the one I have for sale..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Guess it all comes down to personal preference. Some big dudes chiming in here (neviander!).....some like it and some have issues. I'm about 6'5'' 200lbs and I love the stock ergos on the V...no peg lowering, bar or seat rising required.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Speedy peg lowers, a bumbag4bikers seat pad and Speedy bar risers. Makes for a tall bike for taller people.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:44 PM

6'3", 200#, 34" inseam. The stock ergos work fine for me. I do like the idea of a taller seat that's cut back a little though.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM

You'd probably dig the Seat Concepts foam/cover...... About an inch taller and set back..

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I installed the Seat Concepts tall seat and while lowered pegs would probably be a little more comfortable I can ride all day as long as I take a short break about every hour or so.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
6'2" 300lbs 33"inseam. Speedy's Lowering Pegs,Bar Risers and Highway Peg Mounts with Rivcco Pegs. Terry Adcock Flat seat so i can sit back as far as i want.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM
MTS

6'3" 215lbs 34" inseam. I loved stuffing my stock seat in the front to level it and slapping an Air Hawk on!

The higher the better! Love the V because its tall!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM

I am 6' 2" 215 with 34" inseam..I bought mine used and it already had the spring lowering kit on it and I added the peg lowering kit. It feels perfect to me and I have sat on one in the stock formation and don't think I would have issues that way either....besides it is easier to swing a leg over

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Garage
I think this thread is turning in a weight/height contest

LOP
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I think this thread is turning in a weight/height contest

LOP
Funny thing we haven't heard from any female forum members.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM

I'm 1.4 m and weigh 14 stones. I added training wheels, a booster seat, and a seatbelt for good measure. If I get a running leap I can mount my V 4 out of 5 times on the first try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode