Safe Wind Speeds - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Safe Wind Speeds

I was curious what you all consider to be safe enough windage to ride in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM

I've had a few nasty wintertime rides across Escambia Bay near Pensacola - on a long and high I-10 bridge but otherwise I haven't worried too much about winds... I don't ever recall curtailing or canceling a ride due to winds.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Since switching from a KLR to the Versys, I don't notice the wind NEAR as much; that is to say, I'm not scared for my life when I pass a semi, or if I pass by a field and a cross wind hits me.

I'm typically on my way to work while on the V, so it's more of a 'damn the torpedoes' type of thing. Wind or no wind, I gots ta get to work.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM

I also ride no matter what the wind. while commuting.

My worst was last summer crossing Kansas with a 200ish mile 50mph+ cross wind. When I'd ride past a grain tower I'd have to anticipate cuz I'd move a full lane across, and then back again in the lee side of the tower.
Luckily no traffic on that 2 lane (Kansas 96).

Relax your arms and shoulders, loosen your grip and surf it.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Garage
I dont notice wind much on the bike, unless i am up on a high bridge. But then it is only enough to make me notice it, not get scared.

If it is really windy enough to make a difference their will be a serious storm going on and I will be driving my truck instead.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Once airlifted a rider who after taking the exit ramp of the interstate (tailwind) took a direct crosswind. Blew him off the road into the grassy section of the cloverleaf. Full gear (helmet, pants, boots, gloves, coat, etc...). Snapped his neck. Also picked up Harley riders who were blown over with crosswinds. It's not something to take lightly.

jf
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopter View Post
It's not something to take lightly.

jf
No its not, but if winds are fierce enough to do that you are either riding much harder than you should be, or should be in a car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
No its not, but if winds are fierce enough to do that you are either riding much harder than you should be, or should be in a car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Many riders tend to tighten their shoulders, arms and grip and even back, which worsens any corrective measures.

'08 Red
Givi shield
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
Heated grip wraps

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Well that's the question, isn't it: when is it too windy to ride safely? We got wind bound for a day in Newfoundland last summer. It was difficult even walking outside, it would have been impossible to set off on our bikes. The wind blew my brother's Strom over where it was parked, although it was partly his own fault because he hadn't left it in gear. There are places on the planet that get extremely heavy winds. It's something to take heed of when checking the weather forecast.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Garage
On the interstates around here I seem to always be riding into a 75 mph wind. Its like it is always that way...

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have felt my bike move under me to counteract the wind, and I have ridden heeled over to keep going straight in the wind. I've never felt like I was getting blown out of my lane.

I would definitely slow down as the wind increases and find secondary roads where I can ride slower without impeding the progress of other vehicles.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
On the interstates around here I seem to always be riding into a 75 mph wind. Its like it is always that way...
Hey! We're not talking headwinds here.
Stay on topic 😁😜

'08 Red
Givi shield
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
Heated grip wraps

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM

The answer is, it depends, I'm an all weather rider. The only weather that stops me from riding is ice and snow. I've been in 300+ mile rides with crosswinds gusting to 50 MPH in the mountain roads and on the freeways. If I believe the weather conditions make the ride unsafe I just don't ride or wait until the weather clears. When riding I always remind myself that is better to be at my destination the next day than dying on the road that same night.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM

A cross wind of 40 mph is about my limit.

Once I was headed east on a gravel road in North Dakota in a wind like that. Even at slow speeds I was afraid I would be blown off the road and decided to head north, into the wind, until I found a paved road.

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"-- I came, I saw, I stuck around.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have felt my bike move under me to counteract the wind, and I have ridden heeled over to keep going straight in the wind. I've never felt like I was getting blown out of my lane....
The ONLY time I was 'blown' out of the lane I was in was south of Anchorage, riding my Bandit 1200S, on the north-side road along "Turnagain Bay" back in June '04. Can't say how much, but that was one HELLUVA wind...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM

On our construction sites we have to shut down all crane work at 25mph. I always check the wind speed on the weather channel for my area before I head out. I prefer not to ride in 20+mph winds. I have a Givi windshield that seems to act like a sail with the wind in the right direction. I have been caught by surprise a few times.
However, I know it's going to sound stupid, but, if I speed up in a strong wind I feel like I have more control. Maybe the increased centrifugal force from the tires?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:19 PM

If you ride in a crosswind, you'll lean into the wind. This feels unnatural, but this is how equilibrium is restored. If you try to fight it, you'll destabilize the bike and either change lanes or crash.

Riding along in still air, the only force outside of aerodynamic drag acting on a bike and rider is gravity. A crosswind introduces a second force, and the bike will lean toward it until the two forces are equal and equilibrium is reached. More wind = more lean.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 PM

It depends on your comfort level. If I feel the wind is too much I stop period.

As a rule of thumb I don't ride when a hurricane is blowing :-p

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Hey! We're not talking headwinds here.
Stay on topic 😁😜
Sorry.

I guess my view of the breadth of the topic is different than yours. This spring a "dust devil" (described as a "dust devil on steroids" by the local paper) ripped the roof off of the school my youngest son attends.

You rides your bike and you takes your chances...

If I had an anemometer on my bike I may pull over due to wind. Otherwise, I will just slow down and hope that it is safe to do so.

Again, I do not mean to be critical. In my line of work that is a bad thing or the whole point of the thing - it depends on your perspective.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In my experience it largely depends on how well your aileron and rudder trim is working. Think of it as a crosswind landing that goes on and on.

Bottom line is that wind speed, in and of itself, is irrelevant. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, don't ride.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode