Best 2 up rider? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best 2 up rider?

I need some input. I'm liking my Versys more and more, and once I get some dag blamed luggage on the thing, It'll be perfect; however, I'd like to be able to take my wife on some rides and the V isn't the best at that. VersYtile, yes, but not that much. Sure, it's fine for short jaunts, but so was my KLR, and it would absolutely drag with both of us on it.

What would be the best 2 up rider to get? The Concours 14 seems like a good option. I'm not entirely opposed to a cruiser style, as it would not be an every day bike, but I'm much more in favor of a standard style. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
How much are you looking to spend? Concours 14, Yamaha FJR, BMW1600,Goldwing,etc,etc.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I need some input. I'm liking my Versys more and more, and once I get some dag blamed luggage on the thing, It'll be perfect; however, I'd like to be able to take my wife on some rides and the V isn't the best at that. VersYtile, yes, but not that much. Sure, it's fine for short jaunts, but so was my KLR, and it would absolutely drag with both of us on it.

What would be the best 2 up rider to get? The Concours 14 seems like a good option. I'm not entirely opposed to a cruiser style, as it would not be an every day bike, but I'm much more in favor of a standard style. Thoughts?
Hi there , I'm about to trade my bike in for the same reason but I cannot tell you whats the best option out there. I suggest you start booking testrides wherever, whenever possible with your wife on board. I've been doing that since June, and still undecided. Theres so many good options out there ,and by riding them I'm sure you'll narrow it down. Whats your budget, do you want a cruiser, sport tourer,an adventure style bike? Chain drive , shaft drive? How bout engine configuration, weight? A few possibilities, BMW 1600GT, BMW 1200RT, BMW 1200GS, Triumph Trophy, Triumph Explorer, Ducati Multistrada, Yamaha FJR, Kawasaki Concours, Honda ST 1300 and these are just a few within the sport touring , adventure touring category. Opinions vary, something comfortable for me could be terrible for you. For example my wife had the worst motorcycling experience ever on a Concours because of the turbulence. But after some research and some more tests we know that a different shield will eliminate that. My recommendation again is, narrow it down, and test them. The more the merrier.

Last edited by ultra; 07-30-2013 at 07:20 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 AM

I'm lucky... My wife does not do motorcycles... Not even a slow around the block ride. We do a lot of cage trips when it's the two of us... but on the V it's all mine. Sweet!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Of the ones I've rode. BMW R1200GS

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Budget is yet to be determined, but I don't see myself getting up into Goldwing/Harley super mega soft tail range. That's another thing I REALLY like about the Kawis I've had, the price. Test rides sound like a good idea, I didn't do that with the V. I just want the wifey to be comfortable and the bike to be as well
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Used Connie's show up at good prices frequently. Not a bad choice if you want the sport touring style.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM

I don't know where you live but the Versys1000 is an amazing 2-up bike. Loads of torque and power and my wife says the pillion seat/riding position is very comfortable. The best part is that riding single it is just as agile and fun in the twisties as the 650 was.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I don't know where you live but the Versys1000 is an amazing 2-up bike. Loads of torque and power and my wife says the pillion seat/riding position is very comfortable. The best part is that riding single it is just as agile and fun in the twisties as the 650 was.
You see neviander this is exactly what I was talking about. 1000 versys sure is a great bike ,nice engine , seat is actually wider both for rider and pillion than the concours. Yet our testride on it was mediocre. It's not even close to the concours power and I wouldn't trade my farkled 650 for a brand new 1000. Plus chain drive and you have to purchase tons of stuff to make it a good 2up tourer( at least you can get a centrestand for it). If its a concours you may want to look for 2010+ years when the fairing was changed and got the electronic package it uses today. The new 2014 is getting factory cruise control too according to my dealer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Ride them, to know what they feel like.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM

I owned a 06 ST1300. As an overall package it was great. The only farkles i added were flipup screen, Handlebar risers, heated grips and multi view mirrors which fitted over the existing mirror glass. Even with the electric screen there was buffeting for the pillon. It was a smooth, engine had plenty of torque, handled beautifully, even through the twisties. Got 430 kms to a tank of gas.
I also had a 08 Honda Varadero, which was an excellent bike and to be honest it was more comfortable two up than the ST. The only farkle on that was an MRA screen with spoiler. The Varadero was like an oversized V, popular in Europe. Great 1000cc V twin.The wife liked the Varadero out of the two, for shear comfort.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Let me just say a big +1 to everything Ultra said.

What's the "best" bike for two-up riding? Nobody can answer that question honestly until you define "best," based on your own personal needs and preferences. I can say a Gold Wing is best or I can say a V-Strom 650 is best and for some people those would be the right answers (though not for me, personally).

There's no such thing as "best" motorcycle in any category, just the one that's best for you.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's no such thing as "best" motorcycle in any category, just the one that's best for you.
True. I was just seeking opinions.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM

2-Up

The bikes that have handled 2 up the best for me are (in order).

1) R1200GS (My wife could be comfortable all day - I even had a mount for my dog kennel) The dual sport suspension and boxer engine just makes this bike buttery smooth once broken in. The handling in the twisties surprised me quite a bit.
2) K1200GT (All the power you would ever need with heated grips, seats, and power windshield.
3) K1200RS (it was my dad's but I rode it whenever I took a female on the bike because my ducati monster was horrible for 2 up).
4) K1200LT - This bike is a monster (especially b/c i'm 5'9"). In traffic I felt like I was always gonna tip it over b/c I was tippee toeing it....but then once I got going I was worried I would fall asleep (not to worry with the 6 disc stereo blazing though). For anyone over 6 foot, it would make a great 2 up bike.....plus they are practically giving them away on craigslist.

Used BMWs can be got cheap.....they don't start running perfect til they hit 30,000 miles anyways

I haven't had the opportunity to ride a Concours yet but I really like the look of the new ones and have heard good things.

The FJR gets amazing reviews too.....tough decision.

I have to add this too......I wouldn't rule out some of the higher CC scooters......Burgmans and Silverwings (to be specific). They'll go 120+ and they are low, long and comfortable (not to mention cheap).

and the best investment you can make for her...........CORBIN

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.

Last edited by Choppastyle; 07-30-2013 at 10:13 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 PM

For taking passengers nothing like a cruiser. Get yourself a Voyager or a Nomad.

My wife favor the versys over the zx10r because of the seating position and side handles, but she loves the V2k with backrest and floorboards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM

Your wife should have a say in this as well, after all she is the one that's on the back, doing nothing
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
Your wife should have a say in this as well, after all she is the one that's on the back, doing nothing
Absolutely! Narrow down you list to bikes YOU would consider and then bring her along to sit on the pillion and see what she thinks.

If you are not considering a Goldwing or a Voyager, do not let her near it or you will be coming home with it.

If you don't mind going back to carbs you might also consider the Voyager XII. A bulletproof bike that can go over 200,000 miles with routine maintenance. Even though they stopped making it in '03 there is still good support for it. I consider it a sporty touring bike. Owned an '01 that I sold when I bought my '10.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM

I ride 2up with the wife all the time on the versys. In fact, im making a 4 hour trip this weekend. With a new seat, its not too bad IMO.

However, in a few years I will be looking at getting a used Connie -- 2010+ model.

Right now I can find 2008-2009 models for ~7-8k USD. Granted they had significant changes in 2010, but the 2009 models are still sweet.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode