Horns, HORNS, and more horns.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Horns, HORNS, and more horns....

I had a Stebel Nautilus horn on my KLR, which I removed pre-sale, then installed onto my '09, as well as the Harbor-Freight "clone" - the WOLO Bad Boy - which is on my '08.

REALLY loved the way 'things' (animals, as well as cages...) scatter at a BLAST from one of those two.

Well, the Stebel has decided to go "south" since I returned from Dawson , so yesterday I removed it, fabbed up a mount for the OEM horn which I've now installed under the left fairing where the Stebel USED to live. Used the same wiring from the Nautilus too , which means that the OEM horn now goes thru a relay, so it's getting a FULL 12V pop when I hit the button!

NOW it actually makes NOISE, so for those of you who want more horn, but don't want to get a Nautilus - suggest you install a relay to power the stocker...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if the extra juice will shorten the stockers life span. Sounds like a good idea though since the stock horn wouldn't cost much to replace even if it did die young.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
djg

I put a pair of Fiamm horns and a relay on my TDM850. They are a high and low tone, and sound exactly like a car. Quite loud. You need a high and low if you want it to sound like a car. Haven't done anything for the Versys.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Fr.../dp/B000DINKPQ

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I had a Stebel Nautilus horn on my KLR, which I removed pre-sale, then installed onto my '09, as well as the Harbor-Freight "clone" - the WOLO Bad Boy - which is on my '08.

REALLY loved the way 'things' (animals, as well as cages...) scatter at a BLAST from one of those two.

Well, the Stebel has decided to go "south" since I returned from Dawson , so yesterday I removed it, fabbed up a mount for the OEM horn which I've now installed under the left fairing where the Stebel USED to live. Used the same wiring from the Nautilus too , which means that the OEM horn now goes thru a relay, so it's getting a FULL 12V pop when I hit the button!

NOW it actually makes NOISE, so for those of you who want more horn, but don't want to get a Nautilus - suggest you install a relay to power the stocker...!

so...for those electrical type experts hanging around,
just WHY does adding a relay make the horn so much louder?

and then, what would adding a relay to the Fiaam Horns do?

hey eddie, you did shoot a couple of squirts or WD-40 down the horn
before install, right?.......maybe this allowed the sound to slide out
way faster, therefore, it allowed the maximum amount of sound to get
out faster and it seemed louder because less sound was lost
in the transition from an electrical pulse to an audible tone
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM
djg

Horns are fairly high current devices. Using a relay allows a better connection with possibly thicker wire, not routed through the handlebar switch. I never actually added a relay to a stock horn, nor did I compare my Fiamms with and without a relay. It is a conventional wisdom kind of thing to add a relay when you want the best current flow, or you are changing something to a higher current draw than stock.

Last edited by djg; 07-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyOne View Post
...hey eddie, you did shoot a couple of squirts or WD-40 down the horn before install, right?.......maybe this allowed the sound to slide out way faster, therefore, it allowed the maximum amount of sound to get out faster and it seemed louder because less sound was lost in the transition from an electrical pulse to an audible tone
DustyOne = But of course ...!

I will admit that it's so long since I had heard the stock horn that I MAY be wrong that it's now louder, but I don't think so...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM

As another alternative, you can mount this one without a relay in place of the OEM one, using the existing horn wire connectors. It's a five minute job for those who don't want to dork around with relays or rewiring: http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-76501-500Hz-Slim-Sports/dp/B003884RDW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_42 . It's plenty loud but doesn't sound like a big-rig.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:55 PM

There are two main reasons for adding a relay to a new motorcycle horn. First is because the stock wiring including the handlebar button is exceedingly wimpy and can burn out (really) very easily. The other reason is that those wimpy wires can't pass the current sufficiently. I just installed a Wolo Bad boy last night and it took me at least an hour. Remove windscreen, remove upper fairing parts including the radiator shrouds, remove the old horn, cut the horn wire cable holders (two of them) so the wire can be routed up ahead of the gas tank (behind headlight) where I decided to zap strap the relay. Follow the electrical directions that come with the horn / relay. Both horn wires get plugged into the relay, a new 16ga wire with a 20a fuse from the battery to the relay (tucked behind the frame and zap strapped under the gas tank) and then another new 16ga wire from the relay to the horn - mounted where others have installed theirs under the tank on the right side beside the cylinders. There is already a small bracket there but I added an extension piece of metal about 1 inch long with two holes. Made mounting extremely easy. Then another 16ga wire from the horn to a ground location. Tidy up all the wires and you're done. The horn is loud and tucked out of the way. Just itching to use it! Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Wierd Guy but cool bike horn...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode