Has anyone strapping camp items to Givi Top Rack? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone strapping camp items to Givi Top Rack?

Hey guys. I have done some motorcycle camping where I strap the bulky items to my rear passenger seat.

However, now I am planning on going for a quick trip 2-up style.

The problem is, now there is someone where my gear used to be .

So my inital plan is to remove my top box and use the Givi mounting plate as a 'platform' to hold/strap some of my gear to.. i.e. Big Dry Bag with gear + tent+ camp chair.

Has anyone does this before? Its not a huge platform so I am a little bit worried about the weight and/or the stability of the plate.

Did anyone come up with any other options?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM

I have a ktmduals rack where I have my Hardigg top box mounted for my long excursions. When the box is not mounted the rack is smaller than I would like so I purchased a $12 cutting board from Target and modified it to bolt to my ktmduals rack to give me more acreage to deal with...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I have a ktmduals rack where I have my Hardigg top box mounted for my long excursions. When the box is not mounted the rack is smaller than I would like so I purchased a $12 cutting board from Target and modified it to bolt to my ktmduals rack to give me more acreage to deal with...
Hmm interesting.. I was hoping to avoid that if at all possible. But thats a better option than a piece of steel

I was also thinking that if I just put a smaller piece of wood on the inside of the drybag, that would give it rigidity so it would wouldn't sag .

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I did what GeneHill did, but w/ a piece of aluminum. (Works fine!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08460 copy.jpg (45.2 KB, 80 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Pretty sure you're going to exceed the load rating on the rack like that. Plus a passenger, that's a lot of weight up high. A lot soft bags will work pretty well even 2-up. Often you can get the straps to go under the seat.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Pretty sure you're going to exceed the load rating on the rack like that. Plus a passenger, that's a lot of weight up high. A lot soft bags will work pretty well even 2-up. Often you can get the straps to go under the seat.
I dont think its very heavy.. Just some sleeping bags, sleeping pads, a tent and a chair.

Its light stuff compared to what I shove into the top case usually.

I am more worried about the stability of strapping things to it :-/

I kind of dont want to go the route of making a makeshift platform.. doesnt work well with a GIVI since it isnt 100% flat like the other ones posted above.

Farkles:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Here is an example of what I was planning.

Hard to see, but I have 2 ROK straps holding it down. I just don't know if thats enough?

I have another set that I could put on the other way.. Anyone advise me against this?

3 hour ride on highway.

Farkles:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Not being a physics major, I don't know, but it sure looks a little top heavy and tippy for my taste.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
Not being a physics major, I don't know, but it sure looks a little top heavy and tippy for my taste.
Mine didn't 'tip-over' during the 7,508 kms I rode on my "North to Alaska..." adventure in June....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.jpg (87.4 KB, 79 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Mine didn't 'tip-over' during the 7,508 kms I rode on my "North to Alaska..." adventure in June....
Was that stuff on the pillon seat or a platform from a top case?

If so -- what did you bungie it to?

Farkles:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Oh, I see you already have hard cases. Well, that's a big bag, but as you point out, the duff is pretty light. Can you run a strap to the peg support trellis so the whole thing isn't hinging off the rack mounts?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Was that stuff on the pillon seat or a platform from a top case?

If so -- what did you bungie it to?
Check the pics below. I didn't use bungees, I used four 'tie-downs' like you use to attach a V to a trailer - I figure those two bags (yellow one held the tent and sleeping mat, while the red one had the sleeping bag, pillow and blanket - NOT used - stove w/ utensils) weighed about 30 to 40 pounds MAX!

(Reason for the two bags is that I have one that will hold everything, but it leaked along its zipper when I rode to Mica Dam last summer - - - !)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08455 copy.jpg (71.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08456 copy.jpg (60.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08460 copy.jpg (45.2 KB, 44 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a pic of the GREEN HORNET in Tok, AK, unloaded, but w/ the straps hanging down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00522 copy.jpg (109.2 KB, 60 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode