Lost my (only) key, best way to obtain key code? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lost my (only) key, best way to obtain key code?

So I was in vacation last week, rode the bike up to the 1000 islands on a fresh tire and inspection. Had a good week, packed up but decided to put the bike in the back of the truck, considering there were tornado producing storms around lol.

We had to take our boat to the boat launch so I emptied my pockets. Came back after, got my wallet, phone, all was well, until I got home and realized I'd left my damn key there. Called the caretaker and left a message.

Hopefully she finds it but if not I figured I should start finding out the easiest method of obtaining the key code...

Any suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM

talk to your dealer first, quite often the key code has to be entered into the warranty registration at time of purchase. second the code is stamped on the ignition lock itself, but it will probably need to be removed to read it. The snag with this is that breakaway bolts are used to mount the ignition ( head breaks off when tight so it's difficult to repair if stolen) and will need to be drilled to remove, purchased to replace etc etc,if you buy a new lock, it will be keyed different from seat and gas cap unless you buy an entire lock set.... major pia!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Didn't think of the dealer idea... Bought it used from a dealer but the dealer also sold it to the PO so he should have it. Ill toss him an email.

If I understand correct the key code is just the name for the blueprint of the key so another can be made?

Thanks, hopefully dealer has it, dreading taking the ignition off

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM

key code is used as part of the part # to order oem. if you can find a dealer or locksmith with a Curtis Key Cutter rig, the number is cross referenced in their book and another number is entered into the cutter to provide the correct tooth combination.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 PM

You will have to prove the bike is yours.
Registration, or title
And your drivers license.

Plus, if you get it done at the dealer, you had better bring a key blank
As most DO NOT stock them. And they are expensive too, prolly 15 bucks or more.

All the better to find a capable locksmith.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Get a few of these once you get your new key.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eel+key+blanks .I got 4 of them and had them cut at Ace Hardware for 75 cents each.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I hate reading these type of posts. Why someone would not spend the $3 to have spare keys made is really amazing to me. I even carry a spare key while on a trip in case the key gets lost somewhere.

Good luck, and I hope you don't end up having to buy a complete new lock set.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I even carry a spare key while on a trip in case the key gets lost somewhere.
Sorry to the OP for the detour...

I have the two original keys, then made 4 steel keys from the master (~$20 total). I use a steel key in the ignition, and carry a second steel key on a key ring that opens my trunk and my aftermarket helmet lock. The steel keys are much smaller and stronger than the bulky soft OEM keys anyway.

I read years ago about a guy who was riding with only one key on his person. He was several days from home and dropped it down a deep storm drain while waiting for others to fuel up. They had to UPS a spare key overnight and stay in a hotel to wait on the spare to arrive.

As TwoWHeelAddict pointed out, I highly recommend carrying a spare key in a zipper pocket of your jacket at all times for such loss. I also keep at least $50 in CASH (in my jacket) for food and gas in case my wallet gets lost or stolen as well. I read another forum post about a guy who had to bum cash from strangers to fuel his bike to get home. I do not want to be in that situation.

Getting your key made and getting her back on the road! Sorry this advice is after the fact, but others can plan ahead and prepare now and learn from your experience!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Back on getting the key code. When I bought my bike, Kawasaki Australia took my details and the key code, they said that it is often easier for them to be contacted and send a key rather than dealers who may move/close/can't find your record.

Like the idea of having a spare key though, going away on a 10 day bike hike; never considered having another key with me!

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I carry 3 keys with me a single key that goes in the ignition or in my back pocket when i'm out. 1 key on a key ring with my topcase keys and house keys that go in my front pant pocket and a third on a key chain with a spare topcase key that i keep in my jacket. Dropped a key one night it landed by the top of the engine but i couldn't find it. Pulled out my spare to get home and in the morning found the dropped key in between some wires above the engine.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 PM

My local locksmith had steel blanks... I had two spares ($2.50 total) made and have one duct taped to a nondescript location on the bike. Haven't needed it so far.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorNurse View Post
...Like the idea of having a spare key though, going away on a 10 day bike hike; never considered having another key with me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
My local locksmith had steel blanks... I had two spares ($2.50 total) made and have one duct taped to a nondescript location on the bike. Haven't needed it so far.
I carry a spare key w/ me, attached to the Vs w/ Plumbers GOOP, in a location that's GENERALLY not visible, but that I can get at the key inside of 5 minutes.

On my first Alaska ride in '04, I stopped my Bandit just past a bridge in AK, and took my camera down by the river for some pics, my key-ring over a finger. When I got back to the B12 - NO keys...! (I was carrying a spare, but did NOT want to use it on the 6th or 7th day of my trip).

I re-traced my steps TWICE, down to the river and back, searching carefully, then - THERE it was!

Since then I have attached a spare to my bikes.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode