Has anyone tried this....windscreen topic - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried this....windscreen topic

I've been running the Blueridge Parkway and once again playing wth the stock windscreen as it was lowered by my painter a few months back and I never got around to raise it.......

As I was repostioning the screen to the highest setting (08 model), I realized I could gain another two inches or so by installing the shield with the lowest two holes at the top two holes of the bracket. It now is only secured by two bolts however it's very secure.

The picture shows the top two holes of the windscreen with no bolts and the bottom two holes of the screen at the highest setting.

I'm heading back to ATL tomorrow so I'm anxious to see how it performs.

Has anyone tried this before?

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 AM

I guess I'd be concerned about wind and other stresses damaging the screen where it bolts in place? I look forward to your report.
I'm thinking about a touring screen as my next modification.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You can drill the holes you need in the windscreen. I drilled 2 extra holes in the stock screen and 2 holes in a givi screen. Then flipped the stock screen upside down bolted it to the givi then mounted it. The last photo you can see where i drilled a hole in the screen to put a ram ball mount to the windscreen bracket for a camera.

IMG_0519 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0518 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_1500 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 AM

I think you are asking for trouble. Drill two holes in the lower part of the screen and add two more bolts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
rlj

if i decide to drill two holes in the sscreen, any trick in doing it so it doesn't crack or shatter? Small pilot hole first and then work up to the correct diameter?

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
if i decide to drill two holes in the sscreen, any trick in doing it so it doesn't crack or shatter? Small pilot hole first and then work up to the correct diameter?

i just drilled it no pilot holes. No issues and i've done two sets of screens like that. First set-up got broke when a car hit me and the second set-up i did has been on the bike over 18 months now.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Pilot holes would probably be a good idea, however, I never did with mine and it turned out fine

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I guess I'd be concerned about wind and other stresses damaging the screen where it bolts in place? I look forward to your report.
I'm thinking about a touring screen as my next modification.
Just got back from a 45 miles ride with the screen in its new position, 10 times better than stock position. May be the best free mod out there. The two screws are fine, no stress on the shield. There is no need to drill new holes at this point.

The only thing I don't like about it is the empty holes showing. Most people would never notice but it bugs me a little.

I may end up getting a larger shield at some point but for now I'm keeping the stock shield it in its new position.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
The only thing I don't like about it is the empty holes showing. Most people would never notice but it bugs me a little.
Mounting points for more farkles. count your blessings!

May have to try this tonight. I've been riding most of the summer without a screen, which I happen to enjoy (at least in town commutes of 20 miles).

'09 Versys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Garage
I wasn't happy with two mounting points, the screen was still buzzing and flexing a bit.

So I went to Ace Hardware and bought this stuff:

Flattened/massaged the mirror bracket just a bit and viola:

Windscreen is now tight in all four mounting positions. Time to hit the highway for a test run and see how much improvement I have (if it does not work, I'm out about $2...)

UPDATE - went for a quick ride. Still some buffeting at highway speeds and above (75 - 95), but much much better than before. If I slouch a bit, or just kinda lean back, it gets even better. Probably livable for most of the riding that I plan for the immediate future.

'09 Versys

Last edited by Jmason; 07-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 03:41 PM

A much better idea. The Buell Ulysses had problems at first with the windshield blowing off at speed and smacking the rider in the chest, if they were lucky! Buell changed the mounting to bolt and not push pins. BUT the loading on just two bolts at speed would be very high.

I like youy fix, simple and easy the way it should be.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
I like youy fix, simple and easy the way it should be.
Thanks.

one more pic, although a bit crappy. Next step is to paint those brackets black. Would be happier if they extended up a bit higher, so maybe someone on here will come up with a better solution that can be sourced at a hardware or other local store.

'09 Versys
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Ended up staying in the mountains longer than expected, just drove from Western NC to Atlanta and the raised stock screen definitely was a blessing at higher speeds.

I still think there is no need to secure the screen with other bolts, I had no issue what so ever. No flexing or buzzing. To each his own though.........

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode