Before the V, what was there ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Before the V, what was there ?

Can someone name a bike that came before the V that had that distinctive hefty supermoto look ?
Prior to 2006 ...

Was the Versys the first ?

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Well Phil - the Suzuki DR-S 400 was one....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM

The original KTM Duke and Duke II were both a bit more supermoto-like than the Versys but about the same displacement.

If you want to go further back, there was the Yamaha SRX6 before anyone ever dreamed of a supermoto. Nowhere near as versatile or comfortable as a Versys, but similar concept.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

Last edited by motociclista; 07-08-2013 at 03:15 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Can someone name a bike that came before the V that had that distinctive hefty supermoto look ?
Prior to 2006 ...

Was the Versys the first ?

LOP
In 2003, Ducati came out with the Multistrada. The V is Japan's version of the Multistrada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zDucati_Multistrada_1000DS_vs_the_1100DS-S.jpg (29.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg zDucati_Multistrada.jpg (112.8 KB, 78 views)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
The original KTM Duke and Duke II were both a bit more supermoto-like than the Versys but about the same displacement.

If you want to go further back, there was the Yamaha SRX6 before anyone ever dreamed of a supermoto. Nowhere near as versatile or comfortable as a Versys, but similar concept.
Never heard of "Superbikers" (IIRC) from the '70's? Basically the same thing as supermoto, where they pitted top riders from MX, roadracing and flat track backgrounds against each other, kinda like IROC for motorcylce racers. Again, IIRC the bikes were the likes of YZ490's with flat track tires.

I think the SRX was more of a "street single" than a "multi-road" type bike, and was after bikes like the SR500 and the Ascot 500 from Honda. More inline with the Versys were bikes like the Honda Transalp, NX650 and especially Yamaha's TDM850.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM
djg

TDM850 was similar, I have one. It's not quite as tall. I thought of the Superbikers too when I read this thread earlier.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUEyWgyQOKg
There was an original bike from that series at a Cycle World motorcycle show a few years ago.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Never heard of "Superbikers" (IIRC) from the '70's? Basically the same thing as supermoto, where they pitted top riders from MX, roadracing and flat track backgrounds against each other, kinda like IROC for motorcylce racers. Again, IIRC the bikes were the likes of YZ490's with flat track tires.

I think the SRX was more of a "street single" than a "multi-road" type bike, and was after bikes like the SR500 and the Ascot 500 from Honda. More inline with the Versys were bikes like the Honda Transalp, NX650 and especially Yamaha's TDM850.
Yeah, I've heard of Superbikers. I guess what I meant to say was before anyone ever used the word "supermoto."

As for the differentiation between an SRX6 being a "street single" and a Versys being a "multi-road" bike like an NX650 or Transalp, I guess that depends on how you look at them and how you use them. To me, the street tires on the Versys differentiate it more from an NX650 with its mild dual-sport intent than from a street-only SRX6.

But Lord knows I don't want to open the can of worms about whether you can or cannot, should or should not, take a Versys off pavement. Please no, not again.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Before the V was a great void, or lack of a V... So, Kawasaki created it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Before the V was a great void, or lack of a V... So, Kawasaki created it.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard of Superbikers. I guess what I meant to say was before anyone ever used the word "supermoto."

As for the differentiation between an SRX6 being a "street single" and a Versys being a "multi-road" bike like an NX650 or Transalp, I guess that depends on how you look at them and how you use them. To me, the street tires on the Versys differentiate it more from an NX650 with its mild dual-sport intent than from a street-only SRX6.

But Lord knows I don't want to open the can of worms about whether you can or cannot, should or should not, take a Versys off pavement. Please no, not again.
The can has been opened! Get the pitchforks and torches!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:

The O.P. was asking about bikes with the "hefty supermoto look" I think the "Superbiker" bikes would fit that description.
The NX650, Transalp, and especially the TDM 850 (what I always called "Euro Enduros") were much more road oriented than the XL-R, DR, KLR, and XT counterparts of the time. Whereas the SRX and the Ascot were just simple lightweight street bikes. I CAN attest that due to it's lightweight and tractable single cylinder power the Ascot 500 did WAY better on dirt roads than the Versys ever could. I imagine the SRX would be very similar, thought neither has that "hefty supermoto look" nor the 97% road, adventure tourer look of the Versys.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Of course the SR500 was probably way closer to a factory supermoto bike than any of the other bikes we talked about (except the Duke and Duke II) being as it was a straight "street" bike that shared many parts (including the frame) with the straight "dirt" TT500. The Ascot 500 and the SRX shared little more than the engines with their respective XR500 an TT600 counterparts.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
You are RIGHT that you can NOT go off-PAVEMENT on a Versys....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00433 copy.jpg (57.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.jpg (87.4 KB, 66 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM

I would say the one thing we can all agree on, in response to the original post, is that the Versys was not the first of its kind.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You are RIGHT that you can NOT go off-PAVEMENT on a Versys....

Exactly. No Offy Roady!

If this is 3%, Imagine all my 97% road.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM

The first bike that come to my mind was the unfortunate Yamaha TDM. Just before its time. It happens. Before the Versys, I'd be looking at KTM and Triumph line ups.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I would say the one thing we can all agree on, in response to the original post, is that the Versys was not the first of its kind.
True enough. I think it was kind of a loaded question anyway since the Versys really doesn't have a "supermoto look" at all, more of "adventure tourer" look. When asked what type of bike mine is, I tell them it's a "adventure commuter", haha.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Yamaha came out with the TDM 850 in 1991. Probably the first upright, faired, tall, all rounder made.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode