Heated grips, your opinions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Heated grips, your opinions

Oxford seems to be a popular choice, anyone had problems? Any comments on other brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 03:07 AM

It is "must have" part on my bike. Im using these... Much cheaper then "Oxford". No complains

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the quick reply. How long have you been using them for?

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 AM

Yea, a must have. Really nice in rainy weather in the summer and in spring/fall.
I'm using Oxford, no issues so far after having taken care of the first troller which lasted for an hour or so. No problem to get it replaced though.
Oxford stocks spare parts, which is good. Their grips are not much thicker than the non heated OEM grips => gives a nice slim feeling.
The cheaper heated ones often give a clumsy feeling.
Oxfords are not the cheapest, but not as expensive as Kawis OEM.

Edit: Have had them for a couple of years this fall.

Last edited by anders55; 07-05-2013 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM

I use oxford. My only issue was the connectors were a bit dodgy ie the left grip wouldn't heat up then it would fix itself then the right one would fail etc. I cut all the connectors off and soldiered the wires together. Problem solved!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm seeing a few problems with Oxfords and kawi OEM in some forums
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Garage
I picked up a generic set last fall after going for a ride that ended up in the rain. My buddies both had heated grips and vests, I was pretty uncomfortable by the time the rain ended (we were riding around Cripple Creek - about 9,500 feet in elevation). so far, I have no complaints and the grips have served me well in the winter riding season, when most morning trips to the office are in sub-freezing weather. High is almost too high once my hands warm up.

Mine were similar to these, cost was somewhere around $40.

The hi-low switch is a little cheesy looking, but I have not gotten around to changing it, I just stuck one of these on it instead :

'09 Versys
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had Oxford grips on a previous bike and liked them. Only issue is can accidentally be left on which eventually damaged the battery. I would wire them via a cheap automotive relay so this does not happen.

Now I have Gerbings T5 heated gloves though. Heated gloves heat the backs fo the hands and fingers so are more comfortable, especially when it goes below 50F/10C or longer highway miles in the cold. IMO you can really extend your riding season with a heated jacket liner and gloves.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM

I went with the Symtec grip heaters, which are also wraps you place under your stock grips. I had no trouble removing the stock grips and reusing them without damaging them, and they have not slipped in three years of use. I mention that because some people seem to expect to have trouble removing and reusing the stock grips. Of course you have many inexpensive aftermarket grips to choose from, too. So I don't see that as a big deal in terms of choosing which heated grip option to go with.

The only problems I've had with the Symtecs in three years of use have been my own fault. I'm no master electrician. So when I installed the wiring I didn't leave quite enough slack and with the handlebars at full lock there was just enough tension on the wiring to eventually cause a problem. At times, a little more heat might be desirable, in sub-freezing winter conditions with thick gloves, but I also wonder if the inefficiency is also due to my poor wiring skills.

Anyway, installation was pretty simple, even if I did screw it up some.

One of the things I like about the Symtec is you get to choose either a metal toggle switch like the one shown in the post above or a black rocker switch. The black rocker switch makes for a very neat installation that could pass for original equipment, IMO.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by motociclista; 07-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 AM

A P.S. to add that my Symtecs are tapped into the marker lights circuit which of course is switched, so I can't leave them on accidentally.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I had Oxford grips on a previous bike and liked them. Only issue is can accidentally be left on which eventually damaged the battery. I would wire them via a cheap automotive relay so this does not happen.

Now I have Gerbings T5 heated gloves though. Heated gloves heat the backs fo the hands and fingers so are more comfortable, especially when it goes below 50F/10C or longer highway miles in the cold. IMO you can really extend your riding season with a heated jacket liner and gloves.
Yes. If you get cold on a bike you CAN NOT warm up unless you find someplace warm to get to. I had a jacket liner and gloves and they did wonders for comfort. Getting cold will also cut into safety. If you're cold you start to lose awareness Of what's going on around you. Heated gear pumps heat back into you rather than the cold wind sucking it out if you don't have gear.

Only problem with heated gear if the dog likes to chew on it.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM

I like to run pillow top grips on my bikes so I use an under the grip heater.

I put this set on every dirt bike I have had in the last 10 years with no issues. Have them on the V now.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rm=grip heater
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM

I've got the Oxford's, I kick myself for not having them on previous bikes, they're great. The only "problem" I have with them is that the right grip heats up faster than the left, but eventually gets to the same temperature. I assume this is because the left grip (which is in direct contact with the handlebars) uses part of it's energy heating up the bar. On the other hand the right grip is isolated by the throttle tube.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM

heated grips

Best $1.99 I ever spent was on a set of heated grips off e bay from China. Generic, plain, simple. I simply wired them to the small lights next to my headlight a put in a 10 amp fused link and a lighted switch I bought at Princess Auto, as I am in Canada. Have been using them for 3 years with NO issues. I am sure they are available on e bay. Beats $160 for oxfords.
p.s. I wired my 12 accessory to the other small light with a 10 amp fuse. No issues with it either.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
I've got the Oxford's, I kick myself for not having them on previous bikes, they're great. The only "problem" I have with them is that the right grip heats up faster than the left, but eventually gets to the same temperature. I assume this is because the left grip (which is in direct contact with the handlebars) uses part of it's energy heating up the bar. On the other hand the right grip is isolated by the throttle tube.
There is (at least in my Oxford grips) a built in compensation for this. The output of heat in the right grip is slightly less, compared to the LEFT!!!!!!!

Last edited by anders55; 07-06-2013 at 04:56 AM.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
These are the one i have. Work fantastic, no issues. If you forget to turn them off no worries they will turn themselves off. https://mishacycles.com/store/AME-Heated-Grips.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders55 View Post
There is (at least in my Oxford grips) a built in compensation for this. The output of heat in the right grip is slightly less, compared to the right.
Oh wait, they're BOTH supposed to be on the right? haha.
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Garage
I have Oxfords on my 2012 V they work great they keep my hands nice and toasty. The only issue's I have had with them are: The Auto shut off which is supposed to save you enough power to start the bike does not in fact do that. (Push starting the V is a cake though!) Also the mount for the controller is supposed to bolt into the mirror mounts but it does not fit nor are the bolts that it comes with long enough. A U-bolt has since solved that problem though.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Oh wait, they're BOTH supposed to be on the right? haha.
He, he.
Well, sometimes I think it's hard to tell right from wrong - sometimes hard to tell right from right, eeh, I mean right from left...
Hope I'm I right now..
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
Best $1.99 I ever spent was on a set of heated grips off e bay from China. Generic, plain, simple. I simply wired them to the small lights next to my headlight a put in a 10 amp fused link and a lighted switch I bought at Princess Auto, as I am in Canada. Have been using them for 3 years with NO issues. I am sure they are available on e bay. Beats $160 for oxfords.
p.s. I wired my 12 accessory to the other small light with a 10 amp fuse. No issues with it either.
$160 for Oxfords? I have never spent more than $60 on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode