Yamaha to build a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha to build a Versys?

Following up on the earlier discussion of the Yamaha FZ-9, now there's this. Maybe it's just me, but that engine looks very familiar. Like something I see in my garage on a daily basis. Wonder what Yamaha will do with it?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Very interesting indeed, motocyclista... It does make more sense than a similarly sized triple. Yamaha obviously was inspired by Kawasaki's highly successful and efficient 650 twin.

"...this should be a very potent, and compact twin. Just looking at the published horsepower and torque figures for the FZ-09, one could expect a twin with the same bore and stroke to put out more than 45 foot/pounds of torque and 70 horsepower at the crank."

So now we await Yamaha's new ~565cc Tenere and FZ-06.

Last edited by invader; 07-04-2013 at 11:25 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So now we await Yamaha's new ~565cc Tenere
mmm... the bike i've always wanted: my old transalp with more giddyup. less weight would be a bonus. yes, that would be sweet. thanks invader, you've cost me some sleep.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 PM

I'll never buy another Yamaha but this would be a great trend. Small 4 cyclinders suck IMO
for street use and I don't want that much power.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 AM

A Versys like bike (pavement optimized Adv tour style - 17inch front wheel, sport tour tires) with the 3 cyl motor would be great. A Japanese KTM SMT if you will.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM
MTS

Trying to get the full picture here! But I'm interested?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM

I got a chance to ride a BMW F700GS the other day. It could be a nice "Step Up" from the Versys if you want to pay the price. Switchable ABS, computer controlled suspension and Traction control available for extra of course. Felt sharper than the F800 on road as the F700 is tailored more for the road. Seat was nice but the windshield was useless. More power, it's closer to 800cc than 700cc but still lighter than the "V".

If Yamaha could come up with a bike like the "V" even if you don't buy one we all win as there are more choices so the builders try a bit hard to grab all the sales they can get.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

The 700 uses the same displacement as the 800, just different tuning. The 650 was the same deal. I never liked the feel of that "Twingle" motor; it feels rough when the revs rise. BMW prices (high) and reliability (low) are a bad combo in my book. I'd be much more apt to buy a bike from a Japanese manufacturer. The Yamaha Triple in the FZ9 is intriguing, and this new twin is as well.
Would I buy the new scooter that it's rumored to power? No.
An affordable lightweight adventure twin? Hell yeah!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I recently drove a BMW 800 GS. BMW refinement and fit and finish is first rate. The adjustable suspension is awesome. It just feels more refined than the Versys. There are no rattles and the suspension is much better. I really liked it until I took it on the highway. The front end with it's narrow 21inch front wheel feels light and vague at highway speeds on the pavement. The low windshield also sucks in comparison to the aftermarket shield on my V. The Versys still handles better at highway speeds, it just feels more planted at 100kmh/60mph on the four lane and faster corners on back roads. The 800 GS is a much more capable off road bike though. I think a 17inch front wheel, and steering geometry to match, is a better choice for a bike that spends 95% of the time riding on paved roads. IMO there is no way around the dirt capability/pavement capability trade off although adjustable electronic suspension is a step in the right direction. Wish I had tried the 700 as well to see if the 19inch front wheel improved pavement performance.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Yamaha needs to replace the TDM anyways. Looks like the new one will be a bit smaller to not interfere with the Super Tenere (1200) sales. So I guess they aim for ER6/CB500/NC700 instead of F800GS.

Also, I hope there will a FZ09 with better touring features: larger tank, luggage system, and a small windscreen.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Martines
Here in Brazil the Triumph tiger 800xc comes to gaining market share, leaving a lot of people riding the F800GS .. About Versys know many who use the Versys more than in the ON and OFF road that has been doing most UpGrade go to the Tiger 800xc played stronger like the Versys 650.

Versys 650 ABS - 2013 - brown

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
The 700 uses the same displacement as the 800, just different tuning.
Umm, tuning doesn't change displacement volume does.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
Umm, tuning doesn't change displacement volume does.
The (old) 650, new 700, and the 800's all used the same 800cc engine. BMW "detuned" (lowered HP and torque) the 650 and 700 by (I think) using different cams and CPUs. They were called 650cc and 700cc but were actually 800cc. Very confusing.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
The (old) 650, new 700, and the 800's all used the same 800cc engine. BMW "detuned" (lowered HP and torque) the 650 and 700 by (I think) using different cams and CPUs. They were called 650cc and 700cc but were actually 800cc. Very confusing.
Actually, I believe it is a very good attempt to sell lesser powered motorbikes to the world market, and in reality, do most newer riders care more what the motorbike is called/engine size?
.......or they care more that it is lesser powered (safe for a newer rider), and costs less at the same time?

THINK ABOUT THIS:
When we here in the states always used cubic inches to describe power and speed of motorbikes way back when, the Brits and the Japanese came on to our shores with cc's!
.....we resisted, and even HD still resists!

And even when automobiles AND trucks in the USA described engines in Cubic Inches, models from overseas came in CC's....we resisted

Wrenches and nuts and bolts in the USA were always inches......metric most other places in the world.

AND NOW......? HD resists still, but most everything else newer made is metric.

Call it hp, call it torque, call it cc's for engines, but in reality, it is only a measuring stick.
AND most of us here know that a 650 usually has less power than an 800, most of the time.

So, what is so confusing?

Hey, just an old man's opinion
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
all the bikes mentioned here are not too much improvement from V- especially 800 gs (UNESS YOU WANNA GO MORE OFFROAD)

imo if you want to move forward go for ktm 990 smt or triumph tiger 1050

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyOne View Post
So, what is so confusing?
Calling a 800cc motorcycle a 650 and/or a 700. Supposedly, it tells the buyer that the bike is smaller but easier to handle. But it really isn't. The size and weight haven't changed at all. Not even the diplacement. The only thing different is the power.

Oh yeah, power (hp) is now supposed to be expressed in kw.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM

The F650 and now, F700, are lighter, shorter bikes and considered entry level for BMW.
Wait, why are we talking about BMW's on this Yammie thread?
The link by Lance yields another link to a Cycle World article by Gearhead Guru Kevin Cameron-
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/07...rcycle-engine/
There are a bunch of pics and Cameron talks about a 900CC twin with phased exhaust cam timing for better torque. Speculation revolves around a dirty TDM replacement or a smaller Super10 (the 1200cc Super Tenere').
Looks like the triple might just be for street duty and the twin for adventure. Which is fine, the pics show the triple as quite a bit wider, even at a similar or even a bit smaller displacement. Light and narrow are good things to have off pavement.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM

In my book the BMW F800GS is the perfect bike up from the Versys, I feel the entire reliability misconception is fairly clouded on here... My opinion.

Personally I like the triumph tiger 800xc, that has the triple and is a purpose build GS competitor.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM

If I were looking to replace both my KLR and Versys I'd look long and hard a the KTM 990 Adventure. I friend has one and it's a monster! And It has NOT been a problem child at all, other than eating rear tires and THAT had more to do with the right wrist than anything else!

BUT I could buy a NEW KLR and VERSYS for the money that bike cost. And a 1200GSA? Cost more than my Honda Civic cost.

I'll stick with what I have and be happy.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Honda needs to come out with a new Transalp or African Twin... THAT would be amazing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Colorado State University: Wildlife and Fishery Biology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode