Shinko 009's opinions? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shinko 009's opinions?

Long story short, was planning on getting Metz Z8s but my car broke so I ended up going with a Shinko 009 on the rear on a friends recommendation.

So for POM I thought I'd ask the forum whose used em and the good and bad of them. Crossing my fingers nobody says "they explode over 80" lol

Thanks ahead of time and Happy 4th!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Can't answer you diresctly but
Three bikes with Shinko's
08 KLR650 Shinko 2 sets of 705 SERIES DUAL SPORT TIRE
06 SV1000s 2 sets 005 ADVANCE RADIAL SPORT BIKE TIRE
09 Versys 650 010 APEX RADIAL SPORT BIKE TIRE

for price are longevity
I would not hesitate to try them

There are other forum entries for the 009 RAVEN

Riding at the limits of tire adhesion is just that.

Last edited by Seeya; 07-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Wore out a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails and, for the sake of economy, went with a set of Shinko 009 Ravens. Have fewer than a thousand miles on them so I can offer only an initial reaction:

I simply do not feel so confident on the Shinkos, especially on some of the more enjoyable motorcycle roads in West Virginia. The front seems more influenced by tar snakes and the rear will slip a little more than the Pirellis did. That said, I look forward to improved grip as they wear a little and expect much greater longevity from the Ravens.

I suppose I should be more concerned about my own longevity, so I have dialed back my level of enthusiasm approaching turns. That is, perhaps, a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (22.1 KB, 1442 views)

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM

I've had two different bikes with the 009 on 'em.
Can't be beat performance/price, IMHO.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Garage
I do not find the Shinkos to be as good as the PR2s I currently have on my bike, but they worked well.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Kind of what I've heard reading around, some good some bad. Got it today and will be on Monday so i guess ill find out lol. Price sure was nice. If I get 7k out of the rear ill be happy

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 PM

3500 miles on a set of 009's and no issues.
I ride aggressively at times and have been pleased with the level of traction although time spent riding in wet conditions has been limited.
Getting 7k miles out of the set of 009's on my V is within reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I BELIEVE I ran a 009 rear on my AZ bike. OK I guess, then tried 705s on my KLR and ended up w/ incipient tread separations over 17 blocks. Do NOT recommend 705s!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Remember Yokohama tires from back in the day? Premium, top of the line tires, right? Every wonder what happened to them?
They became Shinko! Well, sort of.... When they decided to get out of the motorcycle tire business, Yokohama sold all their proprietary rubber compounds/tread designs, etc. to Shinko. Your Shinko's are Korean Yokohama's!

Anyway, after 45,000 miles of "research" on my Versys, I have, with all things considered, settled on the 009's as my tire of choice. I am running a set right now, my 3rd. They just don't do anything wrong, inspire confidence in all situations, and wear well--all for a value price. What's not to like?

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Remember Yokohama tires from back in the day? Premium, top of the line tires, right? Every wonder what happened to them?
They became Shinko! Well, sort of.... When they decided to get out of the motorcycle tire business, Yokohama sold all their proprietary rubber compounds/tread designs, etc. to Shinko. Your Shinko's are Korean Yokohama's!

Anyway, after 45,000 miles of "research" on my Versys, I have, with all things considered, settled on the 009's as my tire of choice. I am running a set right now, my 3rd. They just don't do anything wrong, inspire confidence in all situations, and wear well--all for a value price. What's not to like?
+1. I've run Shinkos on my cruiser and now on my V...have had them on for a few thousand miles and no problems whatsoever. The only (minor) complaint is about the rear tire, which seems a bit more "flat" down the middle (a little more effort for aggressive turn-ins), but I suppose this is for longevity purposes. As for riding style, I wouldn't consider myself a track star, just your Average Joe who occasionally rides aggresively in some twisties and who drones a lot on the slab. Excellent wet WX traction, by the way...rode through what seemed like monsoon rains and they felt great.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I run the Ravens on my Versys and my Mean Streak. I like the tread pattern and had no issues during my west ride last summer on the Versys. Had many extended runs at 115 across the open prairie.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Shinko 005 opinions

I can get front and rear Shinko 005s delivered to my door for $200. That is less than i paid for one PR2. What to do? I am not an aggressive driver, just your average commuter.
BTW I am about to pull the trigger on a Honda Tupperware, or portapotty, ie Pacific Coast!! I always loved odd, weird, and stange. My plan is to use the V for everyday and the PC when I want to 2 up with wife. 2 bikes are better than one!

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
I can get front and rear Shinko 005s delivered to my door for $200. That is less than i paid for one PR2. What to do? I am not an aggressive driver, just your average commuter.
BTW I am about to pull the trigger on a Honda Tupperware, or portapotty, ie Pacific Coast!! I always loved odd, weird, and stange. My plan is to use the V for everyday and the PC when I want to 2 up with wife. 2 bikes are better than one!
Not familiar with the 005s. Are they sport touring tires like the 009 Ravens?

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:52 PM

The 005s are sportbike tires. They probably have softer compound but the tread design looks nice. I have 009s on my V and have no problems with them even on wet roads. They are also good for fire roads and trails and performs better if you run them at 10psi lower when on those terrain.

Last edited by jrider; 11-26-2013 at 02:55 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
How about Shinko 011 Verge? They're only slightly more expensive than 009 Raven.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tires/a...2C17%2C18%2C19
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

I've got the 009 Ravens on mine. I wanted the Power Pilot 3s, but they really are expensive. Saved a bunch on the Ravens and feel MUCH more confident on them, than the stock Dunlops.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Going with a set of Ravens on Thursday. I picked up a three inch screw in my back tire while in a turn. 1 1/2" of the screw was still sticking out...Was kinda glad I didn't spend the money on a hugger. I had the Stop and Go plug kit, which worked well enough to get me 20 or so miles home. But it's not a permanent fix as the screw went in at an angle, so the plug is not perpendicular to the tire. Plus the threads really did a nice job of leaving a jagged hole.

Anywho, not a bad price, quoted just under three hundred out the door for a set installed at a dealer. By the way, that plug kit paid for itself by saving me a tow.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Ok, got them installed. I immediately noticed slower steering and the bike wanting to stay upright before I even left the parking lot of the dealer. It definitely appears to need a little more muscle to lean the bike. After further inspection it appears that the front tire seams to be a little fatter than the stock one, which would cause the slower steering. I don't know the physical width of the stocker, but the 009 measures 5" wide. Both of which are 120/70 in size.

However, I remember on the newer Sportsters, a Michelin rear was almost an inch narrower than a Dunlop on the same size tire. I can't say for certain that the 009 is fatter because I don't have a Dunlop to size it too. But it would certainly account for the slower steering.

That being said, they look great. And are rock solid at highway speeds. The front end wobble I had at 45mph is completely gone. And standing on the pegs and looking at the front tire at any speed remains true and steady.

I still have to get the tires fully scrubbed in before seeing how they really handle. Got about 50 or so miles on them so far.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Check out the pricing for Shinko 009's and 011's at Chaparral Motosports.
Their pricing is the lowest I have found.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/prod...cycle-tires.do

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 12-13-2013 at 09:15 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That is a great Shinko sale at Chaparral... It'd be interesting to see someone try out 011 Verge.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...69-874091.aspx

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...69-874080.aspx

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/011-verge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode