Mode & Reset Button repairing manual - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mode & Reset Button repairing manual

I had issue with my two buttons, first was Reset and later Mode button, and I was looking for the pictures on internet to help me solve this problem.

Someone was suggesting to just take the rubber cover on the top of buttons, but I decided to do it properly.

After removing all plastic fairings I have removed those two screws and one on the right side where is tank for coolant.

After that should be removed those 2 x 10mm screws and 3 Philips screws.

Then remove all these little ones and open the speedometer, gently...

Use the air duster and later on electronic cleaning solvent

On these holes....

And I have decided to use some isolation plastic from old car wirings instead of plastic straws (suggested somewhere else), they should be shorter then press buttons, AND PUT A LOT OF WD40!(or something else) to prevent them to get dry which will cause button to jam. (DO NOT SPRAY WD-40 ON ELECTRIC BOARD AND SWITCHES!!!! JUST LUBRICATE WHATEVER YOU HAVE DECIDED TO PUT INSIDE)

Last thing before putting all back is to put front screen back and test how everything works. Red scale position is in "idle" and green scale position is when the button is pressed...

Hope those pictures make your life easier.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Pumpaljka; 07-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Garage
That's nice work !

Can't read your multimeter because the pic isn't as clear has I need it to be but,
If it's "idle" you should read nothing, I think
Since those button are either open circuit (button depressed) or close (pressed)

Maybe I'm confuse about something here ...

LOP
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Hello Lours_Polaire, in "idle" mode it is not open circuit, Ive got something about 50-60 Ohms. On pressed mode scale went to 0 Ohms, like it should be.

Thanks for support m8.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 AM

Thanks for posting that up. The trip reset button on my bike is stuck. I just kind of gave up on it and started writing mileage down in a little book, but I think I'll take the cluster apart and see what can be done. Cheers.

Doug
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM

I've had mine apart twice with no joy. The Mode button works but the reset does not. Without an accurate fuel gauge this would be a major inconvenience. With my V, it's only a minor one. If that's that's the only part to fail in 38000 miles, I'm OK with that.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpaljka View Post
Hello Lours_Polaire, in "idle" mode it is not open circuit, Ive got something about 50-60 Ohms. On pressed mode scale went to 0 Ohms, like it should be.

Thanks for support m8.
Where do you connect your probe ?

On one side of the switch connector, it's ground (#1), on the other side it's + (#2)

Putting a probe on ground anywhere on the bike and the other probe on one of the button connector, you should find 0 ohm
Leaving your the first probe same place, putting the other probe on the opposite connector of the buton, you should find "open" circuit

This according to my own logic and not based on actual mesurement I have taken

Again, maybe I'm missing something here and you or someone else could enlight me ...

But in the end, what's realy important, is that you have resolve the problem of the faulty button !!

LOP
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Where do you connect your probe ?
Testing pins for measuring should be here on "red" and "green" arrows

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Great post Pumpa.....and the pics help greatly to show the details of yr work

I personally have not had the unit apart, so commenting about the buttons and the electronics is difficult for me

However, I can say this:
While wd-40 is a super lubricant when utilized in the right situations,
It should not be used in electrical applications.

For instance, in this case, if the switch is totaly enclosed and a lubricant is needed, wd-40 would be a great choice as long as it cannot seep out of the switch to contact any electrical part or any electrical connection.
wd-40 sprayed on electrical connections or electrical switches = BAD
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyOne View Post
...wd-40 sprayed on electrical connections or electrical switches = BAD
FIRST time I remember using WD40 was in an enduro in eastern Ontario, probably 1978, in rain. Going over (through...?) a stone fence the points-cover on my TT500 got smashed and the bike stopped as the rain soaked the points.

A buddy handed me a can of WD40 and said to 'soak' the points, which I did, but I couldn't see how THAT would get it going. Kicked it over, it STARTED!
Was then able to ride to where the cars were parked to get it home. Made me a believer...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FIRST time I remember using WD40 was in an enduro in eastern Ontario, probably 1978, in rain. Going over (through...?) a stone fence the points-cover on my TT500 got smashed and the bike stopped as the rain soaked the points.

A buddy handed me a can of WD40 and said to 'soak' the points, which I did, but I couldn't see how THAT would get it going. Kicked it over, it STARTED!
Was then able to ride to where the cars were parked to get it home. Made me a believer...!

Yes, wd40 definitely has it's uses
And yes, it can be used to help all kinds of immediate needs

But as time goes by, it is bad forelectrical switches, contacts, and other connection type of items.

People have been using wd40 for years on these items, and the still continue to do so.

A while back, do not remember how many years, but a while. Itcame out the this chemical is not recommended on those electrical type uses I have mentioned.

And there was a lot of resistance......still is.

However, I believe that wd40 has come out and finally acknkwledged that using the regular blue can product on electrical is not recommended.

I do not k now if they did this because they finally accepted the past research, or if it was the fact that they now have released several other sub-products of wd40 that have been developed for other specific uses

Now come on now eddie.....you know that if you spray your wd40 on everything electrical THAT YOU NEVER WILL HAVE ENOUGH to bathe your chains in the manner they have grown so accustomed to
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
But which is a better cologne...WD-40 or Hoppes #9?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Last weekend I took my speedo apart. I tore off a small piece of aluminum foil and smashed it into a tiny, flat piece that I dropped into the hole where the reset button resides. I did the same for the mode button. The goal was to raise the profiles of those buttons, which are buried too deep into those holes. Then the little rubber rods on the undersides of the rubber button covers can push harder on the buttons. It seems to have worked.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Now come on now eddie.....you know that if you spray your wd40 on everything electrical THAT YOU NEVER WILL HAVE ENOUGH to bathe your chains in the manner they have grown so accustomed to
You GOTTA buy it in 55 gallon drums...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
But which is a better cologne...WD-40 or Hoppes #9?
WD40 for underarms, Hoppes #9 for the face....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You GOTTA buy it in 55 gallon drums...!

WD40 for underarms, Hoppes #9 for the face....
Way back in the early 70s, we moved from back east to the Phoenix area.
We only took a Ford Econoline Van and a small IH Aluminum Stepvan full of stuff with the family of 5 move.

One of the items pops brought, besides his tools and welder, was a 3 gallon can of WD-40.

No **** .....and to this day, over 40 yrs later, he IS STILL working on it!

So, with fast eddie buying the stuff in a 55 gal drum.....well, it is no wonder he uses it on his chains on bikes in Canada & Arizona, his neighbors chains, everyone he meets up on the AlCan, The Mexican Federal Highway 15, and all the way up & down US Interstates I-84 and I-15 or whatever back road routes he uses that he can disperse his favorite, fluid, spray, or gel-mix of that wonderfully scented WD-40

You go eddie!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if I wrote something wrong, I meant to say to use WD-40 or something else on isolation part which are holding inner plastic to stay verticaly.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpaljka View Post
Sorry if I wrote something wrong, I meant to say to use WD-40 or something else on isolation part which are holding inner plastic to stay verticaly.
No no Pumpa.........you did nothing wrong.

Just Eddie and I having a bit of fun

If you know Eddie.....how do I say this, uhhhh,
Eddie has a bit of an WD-40 fetish

....just kidding there eddie
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM

Had no end of problems with the buttons on the 09. Two winters ago I had the bright idea to spray contact cleaner down both holes after pulling the rubber covers. Worked perfect for over a year now with one soft push of either button.

Problem solved for me.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

So, with fast eddie buying the stuff in a 55 gal drum.....well, it is no wonder he uses it on his chains on bikes in Canada & Arizona, his neighbors chains, everyone he meets up on the AlCan, The Mexican Federal Highway 15, and all the way up & down US Interstates I-84 and I-15 or whatever back road routes he uses that he can disperse his favorite, fluid, spray, or gel-mix of that wonderfully scented WD-40

You go eddie!
ANYONE know whether or not WD40'll remove tatoos...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It may...if you get too much on your tires
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:

Also heard that it can cure hunger in third world country !

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode