Iron Butt Rally underway, Versys included - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Iron Butt Rally underway, Versys included

Under a light but steady drizzle, 96 riders, including our own Steve McCaa (lonerockz) took off from a Marriott north of Pittsburgh this morning in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally.

Steve had an "interesting" Iron Butt Rally's Eve. We all know the Versys can vibrate a little. Well, some of that vibration caused a wire to fray against a gas tank mounting point and caused a short that threatened to end his IBR before it began. But with the help of some fellow competitors, the bike was repaired last night and he was rested and ready at the start this morning.

You can see more photos and read my report on the start at my blog.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Garage
That's great, thanks for the post and blog.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Not sure I would want to attempt This on a Versys but I sure hope he does well.

2011 Kawasaki Versys

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

The IBR intentionally keeps us from knowing which tracker on SpotWalla is which competitor, so we don't know where Steve is exactly. But he did make Bob Higdon's daily report, so we know he went with the main cluster of riders and stopped at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit.

At the start, Steve told me that he wasn't allowed to discuss his planned route, but that there was one big-point bonus "that's not far away" and he expected most people would go to it. That bonus was the Ford museum, a devilishly complex bonus that involves taking 25 photos of various specific exhibits. In other words, really sucks up your time. And of course "not far away" is relative. For IBR riders, 300 miles is around the corner.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Steve rode 2,994 miles in 3.5 days and scored 15,586 bonus points... which was good for 56th place.

Is this a tough crowd or what?

And now they have to ride to California in less than 3 days.

IBR Leg One results.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Two hairy thumbs up !!!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Way to go Steve!!!!! It's so cool looking at the results and seeing the Versys among all those ST1100's and FJR's.....GS's
BIGO
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Good show Steve!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

And to show what a canny veteran can do, Kurt Worden on his stock Ninja 250 rode 700 fewer miles than Steve and only scored 70 fewer points. Now that's efficiency in routing!

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Another site claims that Steve McCaa (lonerockz) is having some electrical problems. Hope he can get it all worked out. Day 5/6
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
Another site claims that Steve McCaa (lonerockz) is having some electrical problems. Hope he can get it all worked out. Day 5/6
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not too surprised. As I mentioned at the top, he had an electrical problem the day before the rally started and they wired around the problem. But with improvised parking-lot fixes, you never know.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any details but Steve rode a solid Leg 2 and moved up 24 spots to 32nd. I'm guessing he did the big Pikes Peak bonus on the way west and that's one time when he was probably really glad to be on a Versys instead of a Gold Wing or a K1600GTL.

Edited to note that although he's in 32nd spot, he's less than 6,000 points out of the top ten.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Just found this on the IBR website....

Steve McCaa gained 24 positions in the rally’s second leg. He’s going to give
back all that and more on the last leg when he loses half his total points for
switching bikes. His Versys developed electrical problems. He will finish the rally
on a friend’s Triumph Explorer. Now that’s a friend.

2009 Versys
Givi E21 side cases
Leo Vince exhaust
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Steve had to switch to a Triumph to finish leg3 of the IBR. He was doing extremely well. His leg2 was awesome.

His Versys developed electrical issues so he was compelled to find an alternate ride foe the finish.

He looses 1/2 his points by swapping bikes.

I hope he gets enough points to be declared a finisher. going to be tough.

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013/Day9.pdf
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Not so good news on Steve...See post #1040
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...e-view/page-52

Sorry to see him out of the rally on the Versys..doubly sorry to see him out period. At least he's safe.

---------------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1980 Yamaha XS650
"The Wonder Twins"

Last edited by jfinnan; 07-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote From Steve...
A huge thank you to Erik Lipps and Jerry White for getting my bike prepped and ready for leg 3. Sadly I hit a deer just West of Fredicksburg TX. All the gear did its job and I'm fine. Doc and nurses were amazed at how little damage was done to me. I slid down the highway a good 200 feet. Probably did most of the damage to myself when I tired to get up before stopping. Dislocated pinky and some light road rash on one arm was the extent of it. So I count my self well prepared and a little lucky. Deer was cut in two. front of the bike was trashed, but didn't look like the forks were bent. MedJet appears to be taking care of getting the bike home. Now just got to find a bus terminal to get somewhere with an airport... and a Walmart or target to buy some clothes at that don't smell like I've been riding for 8 days... Thanks again, Steven McCaa PS whoever loaned me their 478 antenna... not to worry I've got it with me.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Garage
Aw man, dang deer. Very happy to hear he made it out with minor injuries though and major respect to him!

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Arrrggg that sucks!!! Not only to hit a deer, but to do it on a buddy's expensive new bike!!
Glad to hear Steve's ok

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Not exactly the happy ending we were hoping for... but I'm glad he's generally OK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode