Versys AND a KLR - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys AND a KLR

Anybody have both? I know I bunch of KLR riders now are on the Versys but who has both?

I've been looking into a KLR but not sure I would need both bikes since they are sort of similar. I take my Versys a lot of places it really wasn't meant to go which is the reason for a KLR. I know a KLR wouldn't work for a lot of my riding though so some sort of street bike would be in the shop but maybe not the V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM

i have both, i bought my KLR for $1000 and I whip the **** out of it.... here is what i do with my KLR https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=951295873786

i do love the versys, it is great at what it is for, but compared to the KLR, it might as well be a vstrom offroad (which btw means, that it feels heavy and out of place)

Now keep in mind, if you are on a dirt road, fire road, gravel road... rip it! the versys will handle it. Here is me rippin it up in michaux state forest (then to seneca rocks)

the wife rides the versys now, because it has better brakes, better power, better everything... but i ride the KLR cause I can beat the crap out of it and it keeps coming back for more

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 AM

I have a Versys and a KLE500. The Versys is the tourer and summer bike, the KLE the off road and winter bike. They are very different to ride and do very well at their designated roles.

So I can totally justify having both!

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 AM

I've got an 05 KLR and a 2011 Versys. I use the Versys for long highway trips and the KLR on off pavement exploring, camping and fishing trips. Works for me! Right tool for the job at hand.

Andy
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

I used to have a KLR, I couldn't really picture having both at the same time. If I felt like I needed a more off road worthy bike than the Versys, I'd also want it to be more off road worthy than the KLR. If I already had the KLR and it did what I needed, and wanted another bike for distance road work, I'd want something more comfortable and powerful than the Versys.

BTW, when I had the KLR my other bike was a 1996 Ducati SS900CR, so it had quite a bit different purpose.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 07-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I guess I need to get some seat time on a new KLR. I had a 84 KLR600 as my first dual sport but it was nothing like todays KLR(at least visually). I just sold off my last dirt bike and think I'm done riding the tight stuff but something to cruise the logging roads would be nice. I've done plenty of that on the V but definetly want something more dirt worthy.

I was thinking about two sets of wheels but the V is so top heavy I'm leaning towards something different.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttled View Post
I have a Versys and a KLE500.
The KLE500 looks fun. That is the downside of the KLR for me. 31hp doesn't scream fun.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM

I have both. A '93 and about '08. KLR used in rain, dirt roads and, surprisingly, errand running around town. Versys used for everything else (about 95% of my riding).

Old KLRs are cheap,reliable and handy to have around.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM

99 KLR650 and a 2008 Versys. KLR does what the Versys can't do on dirt roads and semi-maintained trails. Versys does a better job of whipping around the pavement. With back rests on each, they both do a great job of carrying our daughters pillion on evening dinner rides.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Garage
My friend that I ride with alot has a KLR. We were on a dirt road and suddenly it ended and became a wet muddy trail, I stopped and he got about 50 feet in front of me and went down again and again. To me, if I wanted a more dirt oriented bike I would go for something that was lighter then the KLR, but if I wanted to cover more distance on pavement then explore somewhere, I would steer towards a KLR. When Im on the Versys Ill still checkout the dirt roads but when they start to get a little gnarly I back off, where as if I had a KLR I would press on.

What are you looking to do? Hit muddy single track or?

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

No more single track for me. I just sold my plated KTM 200EXC. That was my dream bike until I actually dual sported it. Great trail bike, crappy dual sport bike.

I'm mostly looking for something that can handle logging road duty with some quad trails once in a while. My Versys has done all of that but I want something I won't cry over when I drop it.

One of my favorite fishing spots is 15 miles of very rough dirt/gravel each way so I'm looking for something that can handle that but also handle the 30 miles of pavement to get there.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM

Garage
My opinion - KLR would be perfect for that, with the right tires. On my XL600R I use IRC GP1, I love them and have great grip on and off road.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM

I sold my KLR last fall; I just wasn't riding it very much. It was always the B bike and when I had the big Bandit and the TDM, it felt pretty light and nimble. With the Versys not so much.
I was getting the itch for an off pavement bike again this summer so I bought a nicely modded 2006 Suzuki DRZ400S. It weighs close to the 250 DS bikes, and has a good bit more grunt. It also has a 2x6 for a seat that sits 37" in the air. But it has real DS suspension, so you gotta take the bad with the good.
I swapped bikes with a buddy last weekend out at Dixie mountain, he has a DR650SE. I really liked it quite a bit. It sat lower so the reach to the ground was easy, and the power was nice and mellow. The suspension was not even close to as good, but it worked fine when ridden slow. It sat right in the sweet spot between my old KLR and my new DRZ and seemed like a perfect old-guy dual-sport.
This is gonna cost me some money.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Here's what I would buy.......http://powersports.honda.com/2014/crf250l/offroad.aspx
Honda CRF250L......fuel injected......low weight.....capable
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

The perfect bike for me doesn't exist. That is the only thing I'm certain of at this point.

I had a DRZ-S. Threw a ton of money at it and it still wasn't very exciting.

Same with the DRZ-SM I had for a while.

KLR600 was ok but old and I spent as much time working on it as riding it.

XRR600 was fun but top heavy.

TTR225 was tons of fun but just not enough power.

I need to get it through my head that the bike I want does not exist. Power, comfort, suspension, reliability, magic button........

I want the pop of a MX bike, reliability of a DRZ, comfort of a Caddy, weight of a KTM, and price of a Kia.

I think what I need is a KLRsys.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Yep I have both and yes they both have two wheels. But are very different in most other ways. The KLR is a simple old dirt bike....with a windshield and suitcases. Slow and a bit rough around the edges BUT will go just about anywhere hauling almost anything. I've ridden from Ohio to Florida on mine...once. Took three days to do so each way

That was enough to tell me I needed a better sport touring bike...something a bit easier on the road to deal with that could eat up miles. I have thing for midweight bikes and ended up with the Versys. Much more civilized but a little less able to haul everything I own AND the kitchen sink into deepest darkest Africa! I haven't been on a long trip yet but the couple of mid-range trips were much more comfortable and the bike kept up with traffic with ease and them some, something the KLR had a hard time with in places.

They make a good pair, the weaknesses of one are cover by the other. And the nice thing is BOTH cost less together than the GS I was looking at.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 07-01-2013 at 06:56 PM.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM

You know what would be a perfect mix between a Versys and a KLR would be one of the Honda Africa Twins....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HondaAfricaTwin1999_02.jpg (77.2 KB, 100 views)
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
You know what would be a perfect mix between a Versys and a KLR would be one of the Honda Africa Twins....
I should poke you in the eye! I wanted a AT so bad but Honda quit making them years ago. And here you are rubbing it in.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I should poke you in the eye! I wanted a AT so bad but Honda quit making them years ago. And here you are rubbing it in.
Whooops.....My bad, lol
I'm still researching them, looks like for some reason they're not available in the USA unless you have them "specially" imported somehow....??
Strange....
Another option could be a Honda Transalp 600V. A mini AfricaTwin!
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM

Plated WR450f.

'09 Versys
'07 DRZ400SM
Past
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode