Crashed the V last week - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crashed the V last week

I had a minor accident last week and had to put the bike down to avoid direct impact. Frame sliders did well but scratched the ferring and bent the bars.

It appears that the front gauge cluster is now closer to my bars. The cluster now hits my ignition key ever so slightly.

My question is - Is there a frame or mount that is easily bent back in place and how difficult is it to remove all the front assembly? I do not have a manual. These rivets that hold a lot of the cluster together .... how do you remove them without damaging them or the surfaces?

Any help would be appreciated. My thumb and one finger were dislocated so it will be a while before I have any strength in my hands to get into it seriously.

Bill
2012 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM

First - glad to hear it wasn't worse for you or the bike. Any time a bike goes down, there's serious potential for pain.

There's a service manual in the tech section - hop over there and take a look.

There is a sub-frame of sorts under the gauges - pretty thin tubing as I remember. But I don't know if it's a bolt-on component or welded on.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
MTS

Hope you heal up fast!

So you can get your bike back in order!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if it'll fit a 2012.But this is what your looking for. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-Ve...21cffe&vxp=mtr .i had to replace mine when i got hit by a car. Easy to do yourself.Had to take off the side fairings,move the radiator overfill bottle out of the way,take off headlight and pull the cluster off. its a bolt on item.Much easier than it sounds.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Bill, sorry to hear about your accident, crashing sucks.*
By the way you phrased it, "had to lay it down..." I am assuming you could use some rider training. If there is none to be had in your area, Keith Code's book and video for "A Twist of the Wrist 2" could make good use of your convalescence.
Laying it down is a panic reaction that insures a crash rather than prevents one. Knowledge and practice will allow you to detect threats earlier and react decisively using a controlled evasive maneuver.

Dropped the bike- bike is banged up, but you're fine.
Fell off the bike- you're banged up,the bike is fine.
Crashed the bike- you're hurt, the bike is f'd up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM

Garage
Ref # 23062....http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-p...versys/cowling

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

I "think" the headlight bracket should be able to be bent back without any real replacement, depending how bad it is.
the front side fairing comes off fairly easy and let's you look up in there.

Glad your ok!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxhFZ View Post
I "think" the headlight bracket should be able to be bent back without any real replacement, depending how bad it is.
the front side fairing comes off fairly easy and let's you look up in there.

Glad your ok!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

The bracket i posted above when i replaced mine you could hardly notice it was tweaked.But the windshield was off to one side and the side fairings were a PITA to get the bolts lined up. The bracket won't just bend back into place.Its on sturdy booger.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have a project and seems pretty easy.

And yes Baron650, it was a stupid lazy mistake. My best bet would not have been to take evasive action.....but to keep my fricking eyes on the guy in front of me. (who stops on a freeway on ramp)

$1000 on a bike safety course and I broke rule #1. (plus the finger)

Bill
2012 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode