Opinions advice about the Great River Road - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Opinions advice about the Great River Road

I am thinking about riding the Great River road from just south of St. Paul to just north of St Louis.

Any opinions of the best side of the river to ride, places to see, places to avoid, etc.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I went both ways that same road but just to Davenport. Both were good maybe the Illinois section wasnt that great but not bad. There is a ferry at Cassville which is kind of neat to go across river. Also if you wanna break there is a brewery at Potosi, WI is worth a stop. I went midweek and had very little traffic to deal with. Get bored with one side take the next bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
GDI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, you definitely want to be on the Wisconsin side of the river!

If you want to take a break I'd recommend any (or all!) Pike's Peak Park, Mt. Hosmer City Park, Lansing, Iowa, or Wyalusing State Park (fees required). There's also a small beach on County X below the state park at Wyalusing that is out of the fee area. The views aren't as spectacular, but still worth seeing if you have time. There's been lots of flooding in Southwestern Wisconsin lately, so depending on when you'll be coming through, you may want to be aware of that.

Personally, I'd switch to the Iowa side at Dubuque. Though, there isn't much for river scenery on either side of the river between Potosi and Dubuque.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode