What is this? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What is this?

Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to ask.

What is the part I have circled on the photo below. I don't see it on hardly any of the other photos members are posting.

Thanks,

Mitch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What.jpg (70.3 KB, 291 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM

I believe that is for emissions on California models.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Emissions hardware on California-spec bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
MTS

Emission air box for CA model. I have heard of some guys taking it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
yep emission crap.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK ... not sure how I got that on a bike I bought in Minnesota but ...

Is there or should I consider doing anything about it ... can it be removed, worth the hassle, etc?

Mitch
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Garage
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...901#post157901

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Much appreciated!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM

I'd leave it on, but I'm kinda enviro. The charcoal canister under there just holds the evap from your fuel tank and then uses it when the engine is running rather than vents it to the air in your garage or outside. You have the same setup on all recent cars and trucks in all 50 states.

But yeah, people have done a Emissions-ectomy. Removing it may give your dealer an out if they can point to any related issue - a minor but notable potential warranty issue.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 PM

It's your mandatory 5 lb emissions box, thanks EPA! :SARCASM OF EPIC PROPORTIONS:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM

Being from California, you may imagine that I can start to take things a little personally when people start talking about removing the emissions crap we have on our vehicles here as if it gets in the way of performance. I didn't say it was a rational feeling...and no hard feelings towards anyone...

Folks in other states always want to remove the stuff all the time from whatever vehicle they have as soon as they find out they have a CA model, like it's a cancer. I haven't done any side by side dyno tests personally, so I really don't know for sure, but I imagine our vehicles out here in Sunny California perform just as well as the 49 state models. Like has been said before, all the emissions crap really does is catch gas vapor that's escaping anyhow. Instead of it escaping to the air, it gets caught up in the charcoal canister. It's not robbing gas or power from the engine or anything like that. Of course that being said, removing it probably won't hurt it either (although it may contribute to global warming ). I should state that I haven't read those posts about removing the stuff from the V and if it might affect performance.

I can understand removing it because some might see it as ugly or getting in the way of accessories, but there's no performance benefit from removing it and leaving it on you'll be able to sleep better at night knowing that you are helping to fight global warming.

Please don't take this as flaming, just venting my slightly irrational feelings on the matter...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Being from California, you may imagine that I can start to take things a little personally when people start talking about removing the emissions crap we have on our vehicles here as if it gets in the way of performance. I didn't say it was a rational feeling...and no hard feelings towards anyone...

Folks in other states always want to remove the stuff all the time from whatever vehicle they have as soon as they find out they have a CA model, like it's a cancer. I haven't done any side by side dyno tests personally, so I really don't know for sure, but I imagine our vehicles out here in Sunny California perform just as well as the 49 state models. Like has been said before, all the emissions crap really does is catch gas vapor that's escaping anyhow. Instead of it escaping to the air, it gets caught up in the charcoal canister. It's not robbing gas or power from the engine or anything like that. Of course that being said, removing it probably won't hurt it either (although it may contribute to global warming ). I should state that I haven't read those posts about removing the stuff from the V and if it might affect performance.

I can understand removing it because some might see it as ugly or getting in the way of accessories, but there's no performance benefit from removing it and leaving it on you'll be able to sleep better at night knowing that you are helping to fight global warming.

Please don't take this as flaming, just venting my slightly irrational feelings on the matter...

I bought my 09 in Texas (No cannister) Then brought it out to California. After seeing the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer. I'm suprised Cali isn't more screwed up than it is.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Don't believe these guys it has nothing to do with emissions at all. It's a GPS tracker from the FBI...just what have you been up too???

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Don't believe these guys it has nothing to do with emissions at all. It's a GPS tracker from the FBI...just what have you been up too???
its a piece of big brother looking out for your well being.. just put aluminum foil over it and everything will be fine..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am pretty sure that it has little to do with global warming, rather it is there to prevent the large accumulation of hydrocarbons near the ground that lead to smog. It turns out that enough little drips when you fill your car and the evaporation from tanks can be considerable if millions of people want to live close together.

Don't need to have any emissions inspections where I live - until the EPA decides that we all will have to have them. Then again, perhaps motorcycles will be banned much like pipelines and coal-fired power plants...

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:

I have nothing against protecting the environment but in CA everything is over done. If it ads weight it affects performance, period, you will not see that in the Dyno but on the road. How much performance is affected? Not much, on the Verys I don't think it matters much, on a Sport bike it does.

I do believe that in this case is an eye sore, in other bikes is not visible.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 AM

I thought about removing mine (to better fit my SW engine guards) but after weighing the benefits of removing it versus actually having to remove it, I left it. Really not hurting anything.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
OK ... not sure how I got that on a bike I bought in Minnesota but ...

Is there or should I consider doing anything about it ... can it be removed, worth the hassle, etc?

Mitch
I removed mine from the GREEN HORNET, because with it on, you're NOT supposed to fill above the bottom of the fuel-filler-neck (raw fuel fills the canister, ruining it). I can get close to another litre in when I fill now, by sitting on the seat so it's vertical, and filling to the top (VERY handy on some legs of my Alaska trip where gas stations were far apart), but then I ride at least 15 miles before I'll stop and put it onto the sidestand. Pee-break FIRST, then fill the tank....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode