Tire repair - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire repair

Hey guys, I am planning a cross country trip and what to pack some emergency supplies in case I have an issues on the way out. I read in another thread about some people repairing flats. I was wondering if anyone has had any successful tire repairs or tire repair kits they would suggest. Also, have never fixed a tubeless tire before, are there any issues with having enough pumping pressure? I was thinking of using a foot pump that has a gauge on it, have used it for low tires on a car before, but never a flat. Thanks a bunch any input is appreciated, also any other suggestions for spare parts are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM

tire repair

I am sure many, many others will chime in on this one. I alway have a tire plug kit with me. There are many small compressors that you can run of a standard cigarette plug. I also bring have electric tape, super glue, and vice grips. Can fix anything with those tools!!!
I have plugged rear tires twice on my V. Simply pulled out the offending particle, reemed it out and pushed the plug in 2/3 of the way and burned off the end. I used this twice and drove at highway speeds for up to two weeks while I was waiting for a new tire. With just two tires, it is best not to have a plug in one that can pull out. I understand there are not "steel belts" in a motorcycle tire like there are in a car tire. It is those belts that help keep the plugs in a car tire. I have had a plug pull out of a motorcycle tire in the past while I was driving.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Spare clutch cable, run it right along side the current one so it is ready when you need it. Small electric pumps are very handy. Tire repair kits are discussed here and at advrider.com extensively.

Have a great trip!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've had a plug kit and compressor on the bike since 2010. Got to use it recently on a new PR 3 with less than a hundred miles on it. After plugging it it now has 1800 miles on it and no issues. http://www.stopngo.com/categories/Tire-Pluggers/

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I've had a plug kit and compressor on the bike since 2010. Got to use it recently on a new PR 3 with less than a hundred miles on it. After plugging it it now has 1800 miles on it and no issues. http://www.stopngo.com/categories/Tire-Pluggers/

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I use the same setup as Weljo... Used it in the middle of Nowhere, Oklahoma last July and did just fine.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 PM

I carry gummy worm type tire plugs, and the installer split needle tool and the reamer that came with the plug kit. I also carry a knife (to cut off the part sticking out after insertion, and a bicycle mini pump. A paper towel or rag wouldn't be a terrible idea. The plugs get your hands dirty.

I saw a test where someone was actually able to get to 20PSI faster with his small pump than with either of his mini compressors. The test didn't go all the way to riding pressure, and perhaps the compressors would have an advantage as the pressures went up.

What not to carry for flat repair is CO2. Unless you carry a lot. Or carry it in addition to a pump or compressor (but then why bother). It takes a lot of CO2 to get your rear tire to operating pressure.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I carry some tire plug kit from walmart and a slime pump.

I also carry my ROK membership with roadside assistance.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I also carry my ROK membership with roadside assistance.

+1 Just sent off the re-newal yesterday. "Knock On Wood" I haven't had to use it yet but its nice knowing if something comes up i can't fix on the side of the road that i won't be stranded.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Garage
I carry, all the time:
- a multi tool, with pliers, to pull out what screw or nail may peirce the tire;
- a string plug repair kit (string plugs, awl, split needle); and
- a small foot pump with built in gauge.

It all fits in a small bag about the size of a big coffee cup.

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the input all, that was very helpful. Like the idea about spare clutch cable too, buddy of mine had his break on our trip in the middle of nowhere Mexico, that was a long day, a spare would have helped tons.
Happy trails
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Little trick for that spare clutch cable. Take a piece of duct tape and fold it over the end then wrap another piece around it to protect the cable from dirt and water. You of course want to do both ends.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tire patch, tire pressure, tire repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode