Who knew that oil could do so much - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Who knew that oil could do so much

I did my first oil change yesterday. I didn't have to put a screw driver through the filter to get it off like some have but I did use channel locks. It went well after that...mostly. I have to remember to make some sort of diverter to keep the oil off of the exhaust pipe next time.

Anyway the big news was how much smoother the bike it running now. The vibes are down quite a bit. Not enough to make the mirrors totally clear but a lot better. I put in Rotella 15w40 dino juice like I do my other steeds. This makes we wonder what sort of oil Kawasaki is putting in for break in. Has anyone else experianced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use a piece of tinfoil to keep the oil off the pipes..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Yes, Performed the first oil change at 250 klms (150 miles) ( to get rid of the filings). Could not get the filter off. Bought a proper wrench, still could not get if off. Took it to my dealer. He put an old hand onto it and got it off. I do not know how. I use a good quality auto oil, and change it often. The engine is running smooth.

Will change the oil again tomorrow with 2,000 klms, Hopefully all will go well, then follow a normal oil change schedule.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth View Post
Yes, Performed the first oil change at 250 klms (150 miles) ( to get rid of the filings). Could not get the filter off. Bought a proper wrench, still could not get if off. Took it to my dealer. He put an old hand onto it and got it off. I do not know how. I use a good quality auto oil, and change it often. The engine is running smooth.

Will change the oil again tomorrow with 2,000 klms, Hopefully all will go well, then follow a normal oil change schedule.
Auto oils have anti friction stuff in them. These can make your clutch slip. Either use bike oil, or rotella like alot of bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I use a piece of tinfoil to keep the oil off the pipes..
Excellent idea. Thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Excellent idea. Thanks.

Look at post #125 ..http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...p?t=836&page=7

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM

I changed my oil at 200kms and again at 750kms and then switch to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil 10/40 at 2500kms. The bike is running smooth and totally awesome now at 4500kms! I found the bike started running really well after about 2500-3000kms.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
I changed my oil at 200kms and again at 750kms and then switch to Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil 10/40 at 2500kms. The bike is running smooth and totally awesome now at 4500kms! I found the bike started running really well after about 2500-3000kms.
+ Did the same. Shifting becomes smoother also!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I use a good quality auto oil, and change it often.

This has bad news written all over it.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Sorry guys. I made a slip up. Must be getting old.

Currently using Castrol Grand Prix 4 stroke oil motorcycle oil in the new Versys.

But I have used a good quality automotive oil in my bikes for over 100,000 miles and did not have a problem with it.

I guess that I should consider changing to the Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil for my new oil change as I have about 2,000 kms on the bike.

Are the synthetic oils really that much better than the normal oils?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys. I made a slip up. Must be getting old.

Currently using Castrol Grand Prix 4 stroke oil motorcycle oil in the new Versys.

But I have used a good quality automotive oil in my bikes for over 100,000 miles and did not have a problem with it.

I guess that I should consider changing to the Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil for my new oil change as I have about 2,000 kms on the bike.

This is my third bike and my first new bike. It's the first bike I'm running synthetic in. I'm trying it because a guy I know who owns a motorcycle school uses it exclusively and swears by it. His bikes get used and abused and run really well, so he must be doing something right. When you factor in the cost it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I did my first oil change yesterday. I didn't have to put a screw driver through the filter to get it off like some have but I did use channel locks. It went well after that...mostly. I have to remember to make some sort of diverter to keep the oil off of the exhaust pipe next time.

Anyway the big news was how much smoother the bike it running now. The vibes are down quite a bit. Not enough to make the mirrors totally clear but a lot better. I put in Rotella 15w40 dino juice like I do my other steeds. This makes we wonder what sort of oil Kawasaki is putting in for break in. Has anyone else experianced this?
What mileage did you drop the original oil at, and how was it broken it?

Rotella T 15W-40 is thicker at startup... New oil does help though. I run Amsoil AFF 0W-40.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Using a funnel with a short plastic pipe at the engine.

Breaking in the V1K with dino oil motoman style. Changed oil at 50km, 500km and next 1000km.
There is a lot of metal in the oil for the first oil change.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What mileage did you drop the original oil at, and how was it broken it?

Rotella T 15W-40 is thicker at startup... New oil does help though. I run Amsoil AFF 0W-40.
Around 450 miles. I got the bike (2012) in April but all the rain stopped me from riding. I broke it in pretty conservitivly. I kept it under 5000 rpm for the first 100 with no long runs at constant speed. I also made sure that I didn't lug it. After the first 100 I started bringing it up to 7000 rpm merging onto the highway. I don't pay attention to the rpms now that I've changed the oil. I just ride but still keep it from lugging.

Last edited by david3921; 06-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I used to think so. But no (or "sort of" or "define that much better"). Read used oil analyses (UOAs) at bobistheoilguy.com and form your own opinion.

They have some properties that are better. But I've seen bad UOAs from what are supposed to be really good oils.

If you're looking for oils that hold viscosity well in shared sump motorcycles, the best value in durable oils seems to be HDEOs. Like what the OP put in his Versys--which is the same one I recently switched to for mine.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I'm considering switching to Amsoil motorcycle oil for next Winter. I seem to remember it holding up well on bobistheoilguy (though I suggest checking for yourself). Costs a lot more than 15W40 HDEOs like what I'm using now. But it's gonna flow better on cold starts.

Or maybe I'll just cheap out and go back to Rotella T6 and change it more frequently. I'm sure it won't last as long as Amsoil 10W40 moto oil. But it costs way less.

Or keep using 15W40. IIRC it doesn't really get too cold for that here. Unlike up there.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I picked up 4 US gallons of Castrol's excellent Hypuron 15W-40 semi-synthetic diesel oil for $7 a gallon at Canadian Walmart. Also great for 4-wheelers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1472823

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32279

I have enough Amsoil AFF 0W-40 left to use in the Versys till end of 2016... You can get great discounts, especially when ordering in bulk from http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil-online-store.htm with the Promo Code if you want and get an instant quote.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 AM

I am a giant fan of Mobil 1 full synthetic. You can normally get it for $10 a litre in the U.S. - cheaper than Amsoil and far better quality than Rotella. Mobil 1 is the oil used by Triumph from the factory and the one they recommend for all oil changes. Got hooked on it when I owned a Tiger and haven't looked back.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
This has bad news written all over it.
Nope, Zatx - LOTS of us use car synthetic with NO problems. In fact I ran M1 10w-30 (car oil WITH friction modifiers) in my Bandit 1200S - 104 hp - for MANY miles w/ zero issues.

Quote:
...Are the synthetic oils really that much better than the normal oils?
I read a study done by Amsoil (probably back in '86) before I tried using it, and IMHO the answer is ABSOLUTELY!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode