Fuel Injection Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Injection Question

So...I've had my Versys for about a month. I'd like to start by saying, it's not my first fuel injected bike. That being said, it's slightly different than others.

What I expected: Insert key and turn to on position. When I flip kill switch to run, I should hear the fuel injectors work. Wait a few sec and then start the bike.

What happens: Insert key, turn to on position. Fuel injection kicks in regardless of kill switch position.

Dealer says it does this b/c it's a European bike. I'm not sure if I believe that. Other V riders, how does yours work?

This is probably a dumb question since my bike runs like a champ. It's a 2009. I bought it was 2700 miles on it. Done about 2k miles in the past month and she's run like a champ the entire time. It's just to ease my curiosity. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM

I have an 09 V and 10 V. Both work exactly like yours. Both have run fine for several years and many miles.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Garage
As soon as I turn the key to"on" the fuel injection system makes its noises. This is the first FI bike I have owned, so I have nothing to compare it to.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Without going thru the WHOLE manual to check - I believe the "kill" switch disables the ignition, AND the starter, not the fuel pump.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Garage
My first fuel injection bike. I never turn off the kill switch unless I drop the bike. On every bike I have ever owned the kill switch kills the ignition circuit it does not turn off anything else.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Strange thing...at the dealer we walked over to a new Ninja 650 since it has the same engine and a good number of the same components. We put the key in, turned it to on and nothing. We flipped the kill switch to run and instantly we heard the buzz of the fuel injection working. That struck me as odd and lead me to believe my bike behaving differently from the norm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM

I have never turned off the kill switch on any bike I've owned.

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I have never turned off the kill switch on any bike I've owned.
When I took my MSF class they taught us to get in the habit of always using the killswitch. That way if you need to get to it quick(crash or some other reason) it is 2nd nature. I doubt I would struggle to find it if I used the key to turn off tue bike, but the switch is now my normal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
When I took my MSF class they taught us to get in the habit of always using the killswitch. That way if you need to get to it quick(crash or some other reason) it is 2nd nature.
+1. Kill with the switch followed by the key. Its just habbit now.

I don't care when the fuel pump pressurizes the system. If I turn the key, I am going riding!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM

The sound you're hearing is the fuel pump priming the system. The injector shouldn't run or make any noise until starting. Every once in a while with the kill-switch off, I'll turn the key and just hear the dash electronics initialize. I can then hit the kill-switch to on and hear the fuel pump run for a second.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode