Heres what i did for more power: - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heres what i did for more power:

I just ordered the power commander 3, the titainium two brothers exhaust, and a bmc air filter. I have read from alot of pieceing together forums that the pcIII may work best with the two brothers exhaust because there are already maps you can download for the versys in that combonation. I am not trying to make a race bike, or i would have bought a r-45 or whatever, i am just playing and expiermenting really, i just got home from work after being on a tug boat for a few months and ive got the trigger finger! ill let you know how this combo works out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM

Keep us updated as I'm interested in this combo as well. Dynojet isn't very far away from me so I could always get it tuned as well.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 AM

That sound like the way to go.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
I just ordered the power commander 3, the titainium two brothers exhaust, and a bmc air filter. I have read from alot of pieceing together forums that the pcIII may work best with the two brothers exhaust because there are already maps you can download for the versys in that combonation. I am not trying to make a race bike, or i would have bought a r-45 or whatever, i am just playing and expiermenting really, i just got home from work after being on a tug boat for a few months and ive got the trigger finger! ill let you know how this combo works out!
Why not do a thourough job of it and get the bike dynoed before and after the mods. I would be interested in what it brings to the table for sure. I bet you would like to know also.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking about that, and dyno tuning afterword is probably already in the cards, its just getting it done before the mods is a bit of extra work and money haha, how about i just give you the numbers ive read somewhere, and say i had it dynoed??? that stuff was pretty spendy, and i was going to go the cheaper route with some of the stuff, but got to thinking about it, and i know from the past, when you buy the stuff thats a hundred bucks cheaper, you save 100 bucks, until you have to buy it agsain, and so on, anyway, this stuff should be here this week
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 AM

Yeah, mos def let us know what that combo gets you on the dyno if you have the opportunity, and for sure the seat of the pants feeling as well. This is the exact combo I am planning too!!!
Cheers,
Erik!!!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

OK i got the first part in tonight, the power commander, and like i heard, its no "simple installation project" i mean its easy, if you can load a dishwasher you can go it, but its kinda a pain in the a** to get to, right down there by the air filter lol, i didnt put the filter in yet casue i dont have it yet, but had to put the bike back together cause i had to try it! throttle response .... A+... the power increase was everything i have heard.... not quite like putting a 351 in your pinto, but pretty good, the bike pulls alot harder with alot less throttle, and just feels..... healthy i guess. also, the power curve seems to build at an even lower rpm, where as before it would just shake. ill keep you updated! also it comes with a few cool stickers
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

one more thing, the relationship between a man and his power commander is really somthin else. even though its clear what a good air/fuel ratio is, i really have no clue how to run the program on my computer, but its really cool. luckly, there are licensed power commander tuners at bike shops ever near you, and you can download "maps" for your setup at several websites! bottom line is i love this motorcycle
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Good report, now power commander will be going like hot cakes, should we buy stock, ha?

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Just curious, have you been keeping an eye on your gas mileage? I wonder if your mileage will get better, worse or change at all...

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 PM

About the mileage, I left my bike stock but just added the PCIII and my mpg went from about 47 average to about 43.

If you're happy with your power and throttle now, then keep it stock, but if you want improvements, get the PCIII and live with the less mileage.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Did you notice any performance increase? Do you plan on adding exhaust or any other mod for performance?

I wouldn't mind trying to get an extra 10 or so ponies out of the Versys.

post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
About the mileage, I left my bike stock but just added the PCIII and my mpg went from about 47 average to about 43.

If you're happy with your power and throttle now, then keep it stock, but if you want improvements, get the PCIII and live with the less mileage.
Just wondering, are you able to look at the stock map for the Versys on computer with USB hookup to PCIII, then compare the downloaded version? Also could you fine tune it some, maybe go little richer on low end and back to near stock lean around cruise RPMs?

In other words, make your own map starting with the downloaded version?

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:45 PM

I just ordered the PCIII for a stock bike. You can order it with any mods you put on just as long as you tell them. I don't plan on changing things.

Regarding actual power gains, I don't know what they are. If you are looking for big gains then don't get the PC because they can only do so much with more gas getting to the engine. It mainly makes the throttle a lot smoother, but that's not to say you won't feel more pull.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

i havent actually calculated it yet, but all i have on right now is the pcIII, and it seems to be about the same "visually" with the stock map on the pc. though this is purely speculation, my guess it is probably a hair worse, but not enough to notice if you are just riding
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

im not sure exactly how the program works, but yuou can do anythin g eith it, i know that, and you can adjust rich-lean from buttons on the ship itself at any time
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM

myorangecamaro, interesting you didn't see much change. To complicate matters, I had brought my bike to a dyno but he couldn't really do the job fully due to the muffler not allowing the dyno sensor in because of the muffler shape.

PC said a hole has to be drilled in the muffler to get the reading but I didn't want to do that. Anyway, the dyno guy did the best he could and the bike rides very nice for me.

I wish there was a simple way of just turning the PC off and on to truly observe the difference. All I can say is that I'm happy with the performance increase.

Although I haven't done it, many people just play with different programs to see what works best for their bike.

From reading many forums and reviews on the PC, there are a few people not happy with them but a big majority of them are. Give PC a call because they sure are a helpful bunch of people in that company.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
im not sure exactly how the program works, but yuou can do anythin g eith it, i know that, and you can adjust rich-lean from buttons on the ship itself at any time
Funny, if you call PC, they say don't mess with the buttons. Use the computer to change the program.

Give them a call and they'll help you.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

did you notice a differnence after having your bike remapped at a dyno? thats odd they couldnt do it because it the muff. i wonder if it will be the same whit the two brothers one? that kinda what it said in the manual........... more or less fuel is a bit broad with gas engines... desiel.... the buttons would work good, gas, probably not, so id hae to agree with you.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM

You shouldn't have a problem with Two Brothers because the pipe is straight, but be sure before you get a dyno.

Yes I did notice a difference even though it was not a complete dyno. It just "seemed" to pull even harder. I wish I could give factual numbers rather than just my observations, but when I look at so many graphs of other bikes before and after the PCIII, it is clear to me that the power increases and more important, the throttle is smoother.

They say a dyno will usually give about final 15% over just putting in a PCIII which will give about 85% in just the PCIII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode