Cutting Stock Windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cutting Stock Windscreen

Has anyone tried cutting the 2nd Gen stock windscreen? Although I don't have a problem with buffeting or wind blast, the wind noise is pretty bad, and from what I've read none of the variable positions on the stock screen seems to have much difference for those of us at the 6'0+ height, and reviews of the various aftermarket screens seem so-so at best...

So I'm going to give mine a chop, I'm thinking two inches to begin with. I haven't ever cut a screen before, so if anyone has recommendations on good technique, please chime in. I was going to start with just masking a nice straight line and use the dremel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Garage
I've cut regular plexi with a dremel before and there can be a LOT of friction heat. So much so that the cut sides can melt/fuse back together behind the cutting wheel and it got messy. I got better results by hand with a coping saw.

That plexi was thinner and more flexible than the V windscreen, so you may not get the same melting result. Like anything, start slow with a small section.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Practice. I've cut bike screens and plexi using a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Tape everything off to prevent scratching and chipping. Figure out at what speed to run the blade and how fast/slow to push. Once you get that down, then make the final cut.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelzen View Post
Has anyone tried cutting the 2nd Gen stock windscreen? Although I don't have a problem with buffeting or wind blast, the wind noise is pretty bad, and from what I've read none of the variable positions on the stock screen seems to have much difference for those of us at the 6'0+ height, and reviews of the various aftermarket screens seem so-so at best...

So I'm going to give mine a chop, I'm thinking two inches to begin with. I haven't ever cut a screen before, so if anyone has recommendations on good technique, please chime in. I was going to start with just masking a nice straight line and use the dremel...
Have you done it yet? Would be interested in seeing pictures of your results.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM

I have not cut this one, but I have cut windshields in the past. Used wide masking tape to draw my cut line and protect the shield from scratching. Used a jig saw and metal blade for cutting and poured water on the shield while cutting to reduce the melting from the friction on the blade.

I then sanded the edges of the windshield. The same as with wood, start with a coarse sandpaper down to medium, then fine to make an acceptable finished product.

Don't worry about making a mistake, a lot of people are putting on aftermarket screens and have their original screens for sale.

Good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode