Tank Bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank Bag

Can anyone recommend a tank bag that looks nice and fits well on the Versys? The few they have at my local shop don't seem to fit right or look good on the Versys tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 AM

Go to the pic section there have been some write ups about this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 AM

I went with a Joe Rocket Manta XL, although not a perfect fit, it has worked well. It has the side magnets more toward the rear, which fits the odd tank pretty well, and a little "tail" that sort of doubles as a tank protector. Also kinda nice to lean over on if ya wanna tuck for a bit! The only thing is, it's not really large, if that is what you need.
Here's a quick link for ya...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ac=2&zmap=1932

Last edited by Motodevil; 05-22-2008 at 04:34 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM

tank bag

Marsee bags have incredible magnetic contact. I have the Mr. Pockets which is a very nice size bag but expands to be huge. More than you need most likely.The cortech mini tank bags are also very well designed and come in the best variety of sizes.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Josh & Motodevil,
Thanks for the insight. I looked at a Cortech Super Mini, and it looked like it might fit well, but is a bit small. I saw a small Manta at the shop and liked the design but it also was kind of small. I'll check out the Manta XL, it sounds like it might be a good option for me. Thanks again.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM

I received my SW-Motech, engage tank bag on Friday from Twisted Throttle. Installed it in 30 mins. on Saturday morning. I love it! No straps or material contacts the tank to cause scratching! Just pull the tab and unit lifts right off for fueling or carrying with you. Kind of high priced but you wont be sorry!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 AM

I have the small Joe Rocket and love it. It fits the tank perfect and is red and black. It holds all that I need it to.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 PM

I used the Rocket XL and it is a great bag, but got tired of taking it when going to stores, etc. The Famsa is tops, but 3-months on back order, I went with the Wolfman Explorer Lite. Works great and looks good.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 PM

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 PM

[I]'m looking at this one..Has anyone tried Nelson Riggs CL300 mini magnetic tank bag? It has removable map pocket. How is the fitment especially on side magnets?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 PM

I have a Joe Rocket Manta (not the XL)

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

That looks pretty good. I saw that one in the store when I was looking for a bag, but thought it looked too small. As it turns out, the one I bought is actually WAY too big. I may have to go shopping in the future for a better fit.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 PM

I like the looks of that one. I have a Marsee from a previous bike. The magnet flaps are in the front so they don't make good contact with metal and they tend to fly up at, um, higher speeds.

Do you by any chance carry an EZ Pass toll transponder? Just wondering if works through the bag material. My EZ Pass works through the clear map window on the Marsee.

-Alan
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordguy View Post
I like the looks of that one. I have a Marsee from a previous bike. The magnet flaps are in the front so they don't make good contact with metal and they tend to fly up at, um, higher speeds.

Do you by any chance carry an EZ Pass toll transponder? Just wondering if works through the bag material. My EZ Pass works through the clear map window on the Marsee.

-Alan
I don't have my EZ pass yet...I'll let you know when I get it.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green county View Post
I received my SW-Motech, engage tank bag on Friday from Twisted Throttle. Installed it in 30 mins. on Saturday morning. I love it! No straps or material contacts the tank to cause scratching! Just pull the tab and unit lifts right off for fueling or carrying with you. Kind of high priced but you wont be sorry!
Good information - this is the bag I'm going with. No straps or magnets - yet a bit pricey but sounds like it's worth it.

Do you know anything about the electric option that is available for this bag? I looked on SW-Motech's website and it doesn't give any clear indication of what this about. It's an $80 upgrade - I probably won't get that option, just wondered what it was for. I'm thinking it's to power your cell phone, iPod or GPS.

I also see that you can get these bags lighted as well - that would be trick and very nice to have to search around for those dang earplugs that keep getting lost in there.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Baglux

If you want it just right get yourself a baglux tank protector and then choose a baglux tank bag. Expensive but does the job right!
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanweg View Post
If you want it just right get yourself a baglux tank protector and then choose a baglux tank bag. Expensive but does the job right!
If it does all that it is advertised then it is worth it.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 PM

I have a magnetic tank now that fits the Versys, but the gas ring mounting of the Engage intrigues me. And it looks made for the bike.

For those that have the SW-Motech Engage tank bag:

- Could someone post a pic of the inside? Can't find on any web site. I like a lot of smaller inner pockets.

- When unzipped, the "hinge" is in the rear and the top opens towards you. This seems backward from other tank bags which open away from you.

- Anybody order the Engage XL version? Too big? The XL seems to be mostly 1" longer and wider and 2" taller.

- If you use the map holder, do you have to take it off to open the bag?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM

I plan to order the Engage/SW-Motech gas tank bag this week. I'll post my comments here.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM

I finally got the Bags Connection Engage tank bag in. I see other members have the bag as well (Search the forum for Engage). It's a nice bag although a bit pricey - I paided $168 for the bag plus $20 something for the attachment rings and then with shipping handling and whatever else it was over $200.

It's a solid bag and with stiff sides and doesn't slouch over the tank. The gas tank connection is very nice and solid - no magnets or straps to fiddle with. And you can connect a camera mount to the SW-Motech gas tank cap attachment if you so desire.

The bag itself has several seperate compartments and pockets for organization. I didn't buy the XL size and just got the regular Engage bag and I find that holds enough for what I plan to put in there. My manuals, papers, small electronics, tools, etc.

It took me about a 1/2 hour to install the whole system. That included the SW-Motech gas tank connection and mounting the bracket to the bag. The bracket for the bag is not pre-installed and you have to drill the holes yourself. That was a bit of a downer - you pay 168 dollars for a bag and you have to drill holes into it.

Once everything was installed and setup - the bag connected to the gas tank perfectly. The test ride proved the concept works and hold the tank bag in place very nicely. I like that I can add accessories to this bag like a GPS holder and it can even be electrified! But, the $85 for that option could be best spent elsewhere.

Finally, the bag doesn't contact the tank at all - but that doesn't detract from the looks of the bag and helps to protect your tank.

Pictures of my Bags Connection Tank Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode