Ear plugs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ear plugs

I just recently started using earplugs after meeting a guy in his fifties who's riden a lot all his life, he has hearing aids due to all the riding with wind noise. He told me that he wishes he had been using earplugs. I figured, hey i better take his advice and use them.

I didn't realize how much wind noise I was actually experiencing until I started using them...what a difference. I'm now going to use earplugs on any longer rides.

I've just been using the disposable ones...does anyone have any suggestions for good quality earplugs that can be cleaned and used over and over again?

Lovin every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:07 AM

I use the yellow EAR fit plugs, have done for years. I also tried a custom pair I bought at the big national bike show in England a few years back. They weren't quite right as the left one seemed to bleed noise once my helmet was on, defeating the purpose. Unfortunately it wasn't practical to get them sorted out and I ended up binning them. But I guess I was just unlucky as many have had great results from custom plugs.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 AM

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Here is a link to my old post where I review the DIY molded ear plugs that Capn Kirk just linked you.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2&postcount=26

I have now been wearing them for over 6 months, have washed them a couple of times, and they still look and perform as brand new.

I highly recommend them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
djg

I use the EAR foam plugs. Slight Tinnitus in my right ear, suspect my old FT500 with Supertrapp exhaust before using plugs.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Garage
Being wearing those since the begining and can't barely ride 10 minutes without them

And it's so much more calm with the ear plug, makes the ride much more enjoyable and I'm able to do longer ride without being too tired at the end

Oh and also, my V is almost buzz free ...

My 2 cents

LOP
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM

I just learned this ear plug tip - use a little vasilene on the foam ear plugs. Its much easier to get them to seal in the ear canal that way. It seals out more sound. For convienience, I use the vary small tube of vasilene (for lips), because it fits in my tank bag or pocket easily.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Garage
I used the foam ones for a while (different brands) and they work well as long as you put them in properly. Vasilene or even moistening the tip will help get them all the way in. It also helps to pull up/back slightly on the top of the ear.

I tried the self molded Radians and they were alright but the fit was only so-so. Probably not the fault of the product as much as the "self molding". I followed the directions and it went well but they just didn't seem to hold in the ear as well as I thought they should.

This year at the IMS in Mpls, MN I had a E.A.R. custom molded set made and I really like them. Not cheap (although cheaper than the local audiologist would do it) but in my opinion, well worth it. They block out sound well, fit well and there seems to be no pressure on the ear.

There have been a number of different threads on this site about ear plugs and it seems that everyone likes something a little different. I know there are several places that have trial packs of a dozen or so different type of the foam ones that may be worth a try.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 06-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help on this! I will check out the molded ear plugs.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I had a set of custom ear-molds done which I no longer use. They do NOT seal like the 'foamies' which I buy (Stanley PersonalProtection Pre-Shaped Foam Earplugs) at Home Depot I believe, here in Kelowna. They are yellow/ pink, have a 32 decibel rating, come 80 pair to a container for somewhere around $20. I re-use them till they are dirty, then 'chuck' them, but - say a few weeks per pair. I 'roll' them between my fingers, then gently wet them in my mouth just before inserting, and they seal and work REALLY well.

- -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

If you wanted moulded ones that also come with earbuds check out:

http://www.earfuze.com

I own a couple sets of these and love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Thanks for the help on this! I will check out the molded ear plugs.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Foam plugs here... From Home Depot. 100 pair box has lasted me a great while and I always keep a few spares on the bike... So I never worry about misplacing them or washing them. They work well for me.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I 'roll' them between my fingers, then gently wet them in my mouth just before inserting, and they seal and work REALLY well.

- -
I am not putting anything in my mouth that has been in my ear. Just sayin'
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I am not putting anything in my mouth that has been in my ear. Just sayin'
My wife would claim that little that comes OUT of my mouth goes in my ears & less is filtered by grey matter
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale View Post
If you wanted moulded ones that also come with earbuds check out:

http://www.earfuze.com

I own a couple sets of these and love them.

Pretty good scam they got going there. These are just Radian earplugs right down to the same cloth drawstring bag and they throw in some $10 earphones. You could buy any earphone of your choice and install them into a set of Radians you can get for less than $11.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I just learned this ear plug tip - use a little vasilene on the foam ear plugs. Its much easier to get them to seal in the ear canal that way. It seals out more sound. For convienience, I use the vary small tube of vasilene (for lips), because it fits in my tank bag or pocket easily.
and your ear will gunk up / get contaminated - trust me an ear infection is not nice.

The proper way is this

No Video

Richard

at

Last edited by TowerMan; 06-05-2013 at 03:49 PM.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM

I use moulded plugs. If they are done properly the silicon is injected into your ear with a syringe. I mini "tampon" is inserted first, then the silicon injected. I have four sets which i use for clay bird shooting and motorcycling. I suck mine (tasty) before i insert, making sure i pull the ear back while inserting. No problems at all. Excellent.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Another +1 for Towerman's post (above). I use the Leight's and switch them out every few weeks for a new pair. The video is exactly how to put them in...especially since I have "surfers ear" due to lots of cold ocean water exposure over the years. I keep a few extra in my riding pants thigh pocket. Once you get used to wearing them, then when you forget and hear the howling wind noise, it's like...oh crap, gotta pull over and put'm in!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM

I use these all the time: http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Plugs-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair/dp/B001EPQ86A
One of the highest NRRs available, VERY comfortable, and durable enough for at least a week's worth of use (provided regular hygiene).

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Plugs source

Here's 200 NRR33's for less than $25:http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y/

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode