Is buzz in instrument cluster present in all model years? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is buzz in instrument cluster present in all model years?

Title says it all. Is the buzz in the instrument cluster present in all the model years especially is it there in the 2010 and up?

This is rhetorical rant but... So we have a motorcycle that has an incessant insanely bothersome buzz in the instrument cluster and it's in all years (?) made but the manufacturer does nothing about it. argh!

Last edited by basstodave; 06-04-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Garage
I do not know if it is present in all years. I do know that there is no noticeable buzz on my 08' that I have ever noticed. I have read on here how bad it is though from other people with 08's. I honestly dont know how anyone could hear something like that anyway. There is quite a bit of wind noice to block that out. You would have to be riding with your ear down behind the shield trying to here something.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I do not know if it is present in all years. I do know that there is no noticeable buzz on my 08' that I have ever noticed. I have read on here how bad it is though from other people with 08's. I honestly dont know how anyone could hear something like that anyway. There is quite a bit of wind noice to block that out. You would have to be riding with your ear down behind the shield trying to here something.
Same here. I've never noticed a buzz on my '08 either but then it might be a combination of wind noise and the fact that my aging ears don't hear as well as they once did. Guess I'm just lucky or my hearing is so bad I don't notice the dreaded buzzing. Either way, I've no complaints - so far anyway.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM

I have a 09 V with 20,000 miles, and a 10 V with 3,000 miles. The vibrations (3,300 and 4,300 RPM) in both bikes were greatly reduced after about 2,000 miles of travel. However the dash "buzzing" in the 09 V was harder to fix than in the 10 V. Rubber inserts (like rc fuel line) around the instrument cluster fixed the 10 V dash buzzing, but only reduced it in the 09 V. I finally found that the 09 V had a poor fit between the upper cowling pieces. Inserted some rubber strips, and finally have a non-buzz ride.

The 10 V had a loud buzzing below the instrument panel. Found that portions of the cowling were vibrating against the H&B crash guard. Added some more rubber, and ride is now buzz free.

Overall, after eliminating all the buzzing, the 10 V is a smoother feeling ride, which wasn't true when it was new. I think it may actually be a result of the rubber insert in the rear engine mount.

I don't consider myself "a stupid consumer." But I do enjoy my two Vs; and I enjoyed finding and fixing the various issues that arose. None were serious, some were difficult to find their root cause, but all were resolved while I enjoyed the ride. Along the way, I've tried several makes and models, and have been unable to find any that are better for me than my personally-taylored Vs.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM

I have a 2012 and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. It it a bit buzzy I guess, but nothing that bothers me at any speed.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Neither my '08 or '09 were bad, but I added some rubber to various places while the side-fairings were off, just in case.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM

My 2012 has the buzz on the way home from work but not in the morning. Anyone care to speculate as to why?

Last edited by david3921; 06-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Haven't heard anything on my 2012 so far. Fingers crossed.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Negative for my 2011 with 15,000+ miles.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Garage
Positive on my 2009. Regarding the comment above about the buzz being difficult to hear, mine was unmistakeable in the 3k-4k rpm range in every gear, with helmet, and at any speed where I could be in that rpm band. (And I'm darn close to being considered an old fart with bad hearing).

I put the silicone fuel line fix on last week - no more buzz now!!

'09 Versys
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
My 2012 has the buzz on the way home from work but not in the morning. Anyone care to speculate as to why?
Thermal expansion?
Sun spots?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM

My 2012 (bought new in Feb) has a buzz.... driving me nuts. I will find it and eliminate it! Hah!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM

No buzz in my 2011

I researched the Versys before purchasing. Expected to have a buzzing problem because of all of the forum complains on this problem. I have 3000 miles on my Versys now and it has been buzz free. I have not had any problems at all with this motorcycle.
That said I have owned all engine types in my motorcycle over the years, flat twins, flat 6, V twins, inline 4, singles, and parallel twins with both 360 degree and 180 degree cranks.
I expect a parallel twin to have a more noticeable feel to it, call it vibration or buzz or whatever than any of the other engine configurations with the exception of a large single cylinder . To me it is a part of the engine character know to parallel twins. My Versys with it's 180 degree crank and gear-driven counterbalance shaft is the smoothest parallel twin I have owned.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Talking

No buzzing in my 2007 made and assembled in Japan .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM

I had an 08 and now have a 12. The 08 buzz was the cowling and black plastic "tongue" that inserts over the headlight. These are actually the most common sources on this style. Adhesive rubber strips easily solved the problem. I think I had the most quiet Versys on the planet. Had to replace the rubber under the tongue from time to time as it would wear thru because it has two sharp standoffs. On the 12, the primary noise on mine was the bar end weights. The internal configuration is different. Put some disc brake anti-rattle compound (CRC Disc Brake Quiet) on the inserts and all is well. If you listen carefully, the only other vibration noise I have is where the cable ends (clutch and throttle) insert into the guides or holders - but addressing this would be extreme and this noise is common on every bike.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM

I have the 2011 and it didn't start buzzing until about 3k. Looks like a pain to get the cluster off too.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 AM

No buzzing in my 2012

Lovin every minute of it!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM

I THOUGHT they had eliminated it in the newer models, but on my second ride, after the excitement of riding my new bike home from the dealership, I noticed it. At first I thought it was some kind of warning buzzer because it was so loud and regular, it reminded me of the buzzer my buddy's 1967 Plymouth Fury had that warned you when you were exceding 85 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode