Removed My Windscreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Removed My Windscreen

Was messing around tonight and decided to remove the windscreen to see how it looked. Don't think it looks bad, it's different but I think it'll grow on me. Took it out to do a 4-5 mile loop around where I live to see how it felt and it turned into a 50+ mile ride. It was AWESOME!

Felt like a completely different bike. I didn't think the stock screen was too bad but realized that I had a lot more buffeting than I realized. You do get more air hitting you without it but its a much more even flow that feels like its traveling around you instead of hitting you. It's kind of hard to explain but I got up to 75-80 mph and still didn't feel like I was fighting it at all. With the screen I started feeling resistance at less than half that speed.

Needless to say that my V is going to go screenless from now on. Definitely recommend trying it out if you haven't before.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM

Thanks....I'm going to give that a try!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 AM

Garage
Had mine off a couple of weeks ago. For commuting, I really liked it.

I think a long ride at sustained highway speeds (75 or so) would create a little fatigued just from the sheer volume of air hitting the upper chest and helmet.

Definitely made the sena easier to hear.

'09 Versys

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 AM

Removing it seems like a good thing to try. That said, if someone is planning to toss a good condition 2nd gen windscreen I'll pay shipping. Or pick it up if you're in the SF Bay Area. And I'll post the results of my experiments with it...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 PM

I took mine off and I also am impressed with how quiet it is and I can even hear the motor... The loud buffeting was horrible. It also made my vibration disappear. Maybe that buffeting creates it's own vibration and is added to the motor in some way.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM

I like my V without the windshield, but can't stand how silly it looks, so I don't. I'm 6'3" and I really don't want to blow a ton of money testing different windshields though.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 AM

At lower speeds it's great without the windscreen. At higher speeds, not so much. If I lean forward a lot, I can reduce the wall of wind effect, but I prefer it with the screen on. I'll mount it back in the morning. Prolly try the steep position this time. I've only used low and high so far.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM

I went for a couple of 3 hour rides without the screen and I really like it that way. But I agree, it doesn't suit the bike, but then I really don't care.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM

When I removed the screen altogether I liked it soo much I sold the Versys and bought an ER6n instead. Looked to goofy without a screen.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
I usually remove mine during the summer and put it back on in the fall. It does help a lot for road grime when commuting but when it is dry I feel a lot better on it.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
When I removed the screen altogether I liked it soo much I sold the Versys and bought an ER6n instead. Looked to goofy without a screen.
Unfortunately the ER6n isn't an option in the states. Not enough of us like naked bikes I guess. Personally I'm always in favor of naked; and not just with bikes but that's a conversation for a different forum...

I don't mind the screenless look enough to trade for a different bike or put the screen back on because I really do like the ride without so much better; but I will be on the look out for a small windshield/fairing. To each their own though.

"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full."
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM

I finally gave it a shot. To me, it didn't make that much difference in a positive way. Helmet noise was maybe a little bit better, but since my commutes are mostly at freeway+ speeds, a wind break is almost a must. I have not had any buffeting issues, so removing the screen made very little difference.

I bought the bike with the Givi already on it, so I have no experience with the OEM screen and if it really makes that much difference. FWIW, I'm 6'5" and have raised the seat some and have bar risers.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM

I hated the stock windscreen so much I bought the MRA touring and added the X-Creen to it, which works amazing for me..............however, I was doing a lot of riding screenless and loved it just as much! The highway was a bit fatiguing though.
Hmmmm.......got me thinking, if I like screenless as much as I do, maybe I should trade up and grab a Triumph Street Triple! ;D Hehe...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 AM

I used to ride without windscreen. I have found on ebay those plastic clips/pins (I guess original Kawasaki cost 10x more).
You can find them as "Nissan 01553-09241 Clips".
And later I have made same setup as BigOleChalupa. MRA and X-creen looks and works awsome !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode