Maiden Voyage... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maiden Voyage...

After muuuuch anticipation, I finally am a V owner as of this past Saturday!! My wife, who is endlessly patient with my little obsessions drove me to Renfrew, Ont. (little mom and pop dealership that was a pleasure to do business with) where I picked it up and went for a great ride to the cottage (45 min away), then back to Ottawa.

So right away tested the "off-road" capability, as I have about 5km of (this time of year) soft sand, mud, traces of ice etc. Gotta say things got a bit squirmy in places, but never having actually ridden a true off road bike, I say, ignorance is bliss! Worked just fine! Do think I need a fender extender on the front - rad got partially clogged with mud - can't be a good thing!

Anyways, must say everything I have learned and read about in the forum (thanks to everyone) was clearly validated. What a great bike, and I do think this is exactly the bike I should have. A lot like my F650CS, but better in almost every respect. Handling, power, smoothness, confidence inspiring.

Stock seat was not as bad as I expected, but will still fiddle with it (raise the front edge).

Stock screen was also a pleasant surprise - was expecting it to be a disaster, but airflow was fairly smooth. Still want better protection though, so Madstad and screen (TBD) on the way.

Now I can get all of Speedy's bits installed (already bought the full package minus the passenger lowering blocks). I knew by just sitting on the bike the mirror position was not great and my legs need to stretch a bit more...and let's not talk about that stock kickstand base sinking into the wet sand like a spear on Sat...All well known minor problems with easy solutions.

Changed the oil right away after the trip, installed a magnetic drain plug - should be interesting to see what it picks up this early in the break-in.

Anyways, that's it for now - will advise as farkles get added!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikeriver.jpg (457.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg bikeside.jpg (871.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg bikeshop.jpg (201.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Turnbud; 03-30-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Forgot the photos!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM

TurnBud,Great to here that you finally picked her up and slamed some miles on it We will have to get together some day and enjoy a ride. I will be away for the next three weeks (damn work interferring again), but will be back for Easter weekend to put some miles on. Enjoy your self and rubber side down.

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:29 PM

damn, I wish the US got them in silver. That color looks great on that bike.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Turnbud,Your last pic looks familiar I think I have seen that garage before You will have more miles on your bike before I return.

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Hey, is this a change in the '09 models - Kawasaki "Versys" badging on the tank?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Great story and pics Bud!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Hey, is this a change in the '09 models - Kawasaki "Versys" badging on the tank?
My "Passion Red" '08 down here in AZ says "Versys"....
Ed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM

I just noticed that. My '07 only has Kawasaki written on the tank and "Versys" in small lettering higher up on the headlight cowling.

Not that this is news that's going to change the world. It's kind of a slow day around here today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode