Heavy load on rear rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heavy load on rear rack

Anyone carrying heavy load (20-25lbs) on their rear rack? I'm a commercial photographer and looking to carry one of my location bags in a Givi E55 Maxia. With the case itself weighing around 10lbs, I think I'd be at around 25lbs on some trips. Have you run into any issues with similar setup & weight (being that the rack itself is rated at 21 lbs, but also in controlling the bike)?

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM

a general reaction - when I approach weights of cargo on rear carriers that give some concern or question, I make sure I use a tank bag to carry other cargo to move mass forward. I like having a good amount of weight on the front tire.

..got into this habit with a previous bike that had a nice center stand....when the side cases and trunk were fully loaded, the parked bike would tilt back, lifting the front wheel off the ground. I thought it was trying to tell me something. I wonder if some of the Versys machines around might also lean back when fully loaded if they had center stands. No harm done, but it looks strange.

I guess the main idea is that there are ways of manipulating the forward/aft weight distribution on a cargo-carrying bike that can put your mind and bike at ease.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShaq View Post
Anyone carrying heavy load (20-25lbs) on their rear rack?
I would have no problems going to the store and hauling five 5 pound bags of sugar in the topcase. 25 pounds is not enough to make the front stupid light. My wife is a photographer as well and I have carried her and her gear with no issues (topcase only).

I have however noticed that hauling an adult passenger while they are leaning back on the topcase is easier to get the front light or wheelie if you really nail it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought, but good to hear from your experience. Did your wife run into any equipment damage due to vibrations? Did you use anything to pad the case interior? I thought about mounting one of my Pelicans, but it looks ugly.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought, but good to hear from your experience. Did your wife run into any equipment damage due to vibrations? Did you use anything to pad the case interior? I thought about mounting one of my Pelicans, but it looks ugly.

Camera and lenses in padded bag. Loosely layered the case with a thick blanket (clean pet size blanket) kinda looked like a birds nest. Vibes have never hurt her equipment to date..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM

extra weight near the rear depending where/how it is carried does affect the bikes balance and handling differently.

consider, or at least think about if you have the capability to carry the weight in sidebags, and low in the bottom of the sidebags.

weight in sidebags...you will eventually get used to it, and the extra feelings will nearly go away.

weight on the rear rack top-loaded will always cause a heavy, decreased maneuverability feeling. It will affect any emergency handling input significantly, and that heavy slow you down top overloaded feeling will never go away.

yes, some of us have ridden all over the place, with some even riding around the world pack to the gills. But prolly if you asked, most would say even weighted side bags are always preferred to only stacking it high or heavy on the top rack.

....just something to think about
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've had an E-55 since early 2010 and i've loaded it to the gills and it has no effect what so ever on the handling. The Versys make a good pack mule....

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Garage
Weljo, by what magic is that loaded up bike of yours able to stand up in the sand???

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM

I concur with Weljo... I have no problems with my bike fully loaded up.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Weljo, by what magic is that loaded up bike of yours able to stand up in the sand???

Its not the bike. Its the guy riding it. The magic would be a MotoWerks Flatfoot

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Yeah: still handles like a dream after all my mods....

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post
Yeah: still handles like a dream after all my mods....

This looks like something from hell

LOP
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Louis, not hell, but close: Chicago

"Wild Bill" Gelbke and his "Roadog". Turning radius: 110 feet. He put 20,000 miles on it the first year. From a reviewer: "From a stationary position you need the strength of an Olympic Weightlifter to move the bars. Once moving, however, you need the strength of an Olympic Weightlifter to move the bars."

Wild Bill was killed in a shoot-out with the police.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone carrying heavy load (20-25lbs) on their rear rack? I'm a commercial photographer and looking to carry one of my location bags in a Givi E55 Maxia. With the case itself weighing around 10lbs, I think I'd be at around 25lbs on some trips. Have you run into any issues with similar setup & weight (being that the rack itself is rated at 21 lbs, but also in controlling the bike)?

Thanks!...
Whenever I go for an adventure I carry a bag w/ tent, sleeping bag and mat, stove, etc on my rack. (Probably OVER 25 pounds....) No problems so far, and I'll start a 10,000 km ride on June 14th loaded as in this pic I took yesterday of the GREEN HORNET in front of Castle Mountain, Banff Nat'l Park, Alberta.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00216 copy.jpg (56.1 KB, 46 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM

hey weljo......looking closely at your rear wheel, it looks as if it is actually up in the air, not touching the ground at all!

That means your V is balancing it's load on 2 points of contact.
BUT what I am wondering is, IF THOSE PACKS ARE LOADED & FULL,
would not the rear end be heavier than the front???
.......hmmm, must be the helium in the rear tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode